NeoOffice :: View topic - Removing Java from windows, menus, and printing
Removing Java from windows, menus, and printing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have finally completed the "de-Javafication" of the NeoOffice code and the following test patch now does not load Java at all when you launch NeoOffice. Of course, Java is still needed for opening Base databases or any Java-based OpenOffice.org extensions that may have installed, but starting with this test patch, NeoOffice no longer requires Java to run.

I spent the last week going through our bug database and verifying that there were no regressions of any old mouse or key event handling bugs. In particular, I spent a great deal of time testing key events using the Japanese and Devanagari input methods.

If you find any different behavior than is in the NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 5 official patch, please let us know. While this code will be in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta, the Beta won't be released until mid-June (after Apple's WWDC conference) as I still need to implement codesigning of our installer for Mac OS X 10.8:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Installed this test patch today over lunch and have had three weird events happen in a document I am working on. I'm not sure they are related but I've not encountered them before.

1. When I use Shift + Space it is invoking the Paste command the same as if I use Command + V.

2. When I use Command + B to invoke the Bold style I am getting the Find & Replace window same as if I use Command +F

3. When I use Command + I to invoke Italic style I am getting instead a different Font completely. In my case it is switching from Times New Roman to Trebuchet which is the default font for this document.

I have quit and restarted Neo Office twice. I rebooted my computer and I also installed the latest Software update to 10.7.4 and none of these have changed this behavior.

Galen
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I can reproduce the first 2 bugs that you describe on Mac OS X 10.6.8. However, I cannot reproduce the 3rd bug with Times New Roman so while I start investigate the cause of the first 2 bugs, can you tell me what font you are using when you press Command-I?

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject:

revsmitty wrote:
Installed this test patch today over lunch and have had three weird events happen in a document I am working on. I'm not sure they are related but I've not encountered them before.

1. When I use Shift + Space it is invoking the Paste command the same as if I use Command + V.

2. When I use Command + B to invoke the Bold style I am getting the Find & Replace window same as if I use Command +F

3. When I use Command + I to invoke Italic style I am getting instead a different Font completely. In my case it is switching from Times New Roman to Trebuchet which is the default font for this document.

I have quit and restarted Neo Office twice. I rebooted my computer and I also installed the latest Software update to 10.7.4 and none of these have changed this behavior.

Galen

Some problem for me for case 1 and 2.
And Cmd + I does nothing.
In addition, the Keyboard shortcuts dialog no longer shows the special keys.
(My OS version is 10.6.8 )
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Patrick, I was using a document that had as the default Paragraph style the font Trebuchet. The text I was trying to change to italic was actually Times New Roman and I highlighted it to bold and italicize it.

I did a little testing and find that on my 10.6.8 machine I have a similar issue to reproduce it do the following.

1. Create a new document with the default paragraph style.
2. Enter text with the default paragraph style.
3. Change some of the text to another font.
4. Highlight some of the changed text and then use Command + I to invoke the italic command.
The highlighted text does not become italic but reverts back to the default font.

Hope that helps.

I also had a little problem copying and pasting after using the Command + C. It didn't paste the text I had highlighted. Using the Edit menu it copied fine.

Galen
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject:

I think I have fixed the Shift-Space, Command-B, and Command-I bugs that revsmitty reported. The cause of these 3 bugs was due to my code not filtering out device dependent key modifiers. This, in turn, caused my code to tell the OOo code that the left mouse button was pressed in addition to the Shitf or Command key.

fmu wrote:
In addition, the Keyboard shortcuts dialog no longer shows the special keys. (My OS version is 10.6.8 )

I also fixed this bug. This was caused by my code passing Apple's function key constants that I use for setting menu shortcuts. I fixed the bug by replacing these Apple constants with the Unicode characters that were displayed by Java in our old code.

The fixes for the above bugs are in the following test patch. Please let us know if any of the above bugs are not fixed for you or you find any new bugs:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Test 3 has cleared those problems for me. Nicely done and Thanks Patrick.
Galen
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject:

revsmitty wrote:
Test 3 has cleared those problems for me. Nicely done and Thanks Patrick.
Galen

Idem for me (and the keyboard shortcuts dialog is now working as expected).
Great job.
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I think I have fixed the Shift-Space, Command-B, and Command-I bugs that revsmitty reported. The cause of these 3 bugs was due to my code not filtering out device dependent key modifiers. This, in turn, caused my code to tell the OOo code that the left mouse button was pressed in addition to the Shitf or Command key.

fmu wrote:
In addition, the Keyboard shortcuts dialog no longer shows the special keys. (My OS version is 10.6.8 )

I also fixed this bug. This was caused by my code passing Apple's function key constants that I use for setting menu shortcuts. I fixed the bug by replacing these Apple constants with the Unicode characters that were displayed by Java in our old code.

The fixes for the above bugs are in the following test patch. Please let us know if any of the above bugs are not fixed for you or you find any new bugs:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick

Hello Patrick.
Unfortunately I have found a new problem.
All my tables have lost their border thickness!
More precisely, I used to have the exterior frame that was 1 pt thick (vs 0.05 pt for the interior). Visualy, this was a significant difference. Now, the exterior and the interior all display the same 'interior' thickness.

Any idea?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject:

fmu wrote:
All my tables have lost their border thickness!
More precisely, I used to have the exterior frame that was 1 pt thick (vs 0.05 pt for the interior). Visualy, this was a significant difference. Now, the exterior and the interior all display the same 'interior' thickness.

Can you attach a sample document that I can use to reproduce what you are seeing? I will then track down where in my native code the problem is occurring.

Edit: ignore my comment. I can see this bug in the attached document. In NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 5, the table borders are thicker than with the test patch so my code is not setting line widths correct when drawing to the screen. I will post a test patch when I have a fix for this bug.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Sat May 19, 2012 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject:

fmu,

I have one question for you about the the table border line width drawing bug that you found: when you select the View :: Zoom menu and set the zoom percentage to "Variable" and "150%", do you see the correct border line widths?

If so, then that helps confirm that this is a screen drawing bug that will not cause any changes when you save your document

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
fmu,

I have one question for you about the the table border line width drawing bug that you found: when you select the View :: Zoom menu and set the zoom percentage to "Variable" and "150%", do you see the correct border line widths?

If so, then that helps confirm that this is a screen drawing bug that will not cause any changes when you save your document

Patrick

I have tested as you suggest and indeed, I see the correct border line widths.
So fortunately, this is only a screen drawing bug and I won't have to change all my tables Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject:

I think I have fixed the table border line width bug that fmu reported. The problem was that our to draw the thicker table border correctly, our code fills a rectangle and then draws a line around the edge of the same rectangle.

What is supposed to happen when we do this is that the line drawing causes an extra half pixel to be drawn around the outside edge of the rectangle. However, due to an apparent quirk in Mac OS X's CGContext drawing functions, only the filling of the rectangle was being done and our line drawing was essentially being ignored so through trial and error I was able to find the right combination of CGContext function calls to get both the filling and line drawing to work.

Please let us know if the test patch does not fix the bug for you or if you find any new bugs:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I think I have fixed the table border line width bug that fmu reported. The problem was that our to draw the thicker table border correctly, our code fills a rectangle and then draws a line around the edge of the same rectangle.

What is supposed to happen when we do this is that the line drawing causes an extra half pixel to be drawn around the outside edge of the rectangle. However, due to an apparent quirk in Mac OS X's CGContext drawing functions, only the filling of the rectangle was being done and our line drawing was essentially being ignored so through trial and error I was able to find the right combination of CGContext function calls to get both the filling and line drawing to work.

Please let us know if the test patch does not fix the bug for you or if you find any new bugs:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick

This is working just fine.
Thanks Patrick
(By the way, this patch also eliminates the thin gray lines that were visible at the right and bottom of the border rectangle in the Borders dialog. Sorry, I forgot to report this one).
revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: screen artifacts

Patrick, I'm getting some occasional artifacts on the screen when I am editing a document. I noticed it first when editing a Writer Template using P5T3 and it just showed up again in P5T4. Unfortunately I'm not able to get it to occur regularly.

I'm editing the left column of a 2 column document in landscape mode where only part of the 2nd column is showing. Usually I am adding text or paragraphs. When I then scroll to the right column it shows up approximately where the edge of the window had been.

I remember seeing notes and experiencing a similar bug in the Spreadsheets a few months ago. So I don't know if this is related to the deJavafication or something else.

I do have a screen shot it that would help you see what I saw.

Galen
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12