NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject:

I've found a big problem (on my system):

I have a document with a link and I want to put in a new one
    I copy the link from the browser
    I put the cursor over the existing link and hit the 'add hyperlink' button in the menu
    The window with the existing link pops up normally
    I paste the link
    The link is paste as text in the document but the window doesn't change
    I can use cmd-tab to cycle between the link window and the document

So this means I can't use the hyperlink interface very well. I don't know if this affects other data entry windows.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I paste the link

I think we are seeing the same bug but just to be sure, I want to confirm that the bug you are seeing is that when you try to paste anything into the hyperlink editing dialog, the pasting actually shows up in the document instead of the dialog, right? If so, please confirm and I will investigate this. I suspect that the cause of this bug is that the menu event are being sent to the wrong window.

ovvldc wrote:
I can use cmd-tab to cycle between the link window and the document

This is normal and occurs in NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 5 and before. The reason that the hyperlink editing dialog is not a floating utility" window. Like in Safari when you have its Preferences dialog open, NeoOffice's dialogs that are regular windows (that is, they have a normal titlebar) are included in the Command-` cycling.

ovvldc wrote:
*Pasting text into Impress seems to make its bottom line look fatter until refreshed (switch to different slide and back).

Can you post a screen snapshot of what you see? I cannot seem to reproduce what you describe.

ovvldc wrote:
*Slides in the slide bar to the left can take several seconds to update

This is normal behavior in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. In Impress, while you are editing a text frame the slide snapshots on the left will not update. Only when you exit the text frame will the snapshot of the slide be updated.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

I think we are seeing the same bug but just to be sure, I want to confirm that the bug you are seeing is that when you try to paste anything into the hyperlink editing dialog, the pasting actually shows up in the document instead of the dialog, right? If so, please confirm and I will investigate this. I suspect that the cause of this bug is that the menu event are being sent to the wrong window.

Yes, that is what is happening. Thanks for looking into it.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I paste the link

I think that I have fixed this bug in the following test patch. The bug was caused by my code failing to update the menubar when a non-floating window that has no menus in the menubar gains focus. Now, when you hyperlink editing dialog gets focus, the menubar should only show the NeoOffice menu and no other menus just like in NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 5 and earlier do.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if this bug if fixed for you? Also, whenever you are able to post a screen snapshot of the "thickening" that you saw, I will investigate that problem:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-6-Test-0-Intel.dmg

Edit by pluby: updated test patch link

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Can you install the following test patch and tell us if this bug if fixed for you?

All fixed and working smoothly.

pluby wrote:
Also, whenever you are able to post a screen snapshot of the "thickening" that you saw, I will investigate that problem

Sorry, I tried to reproduce and it didn't happen with the same document now. I wouldn't worry about it. If I get a reliable test case later, I will let you know.

Best wishes,
OScar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I found a bug while testing the latest code on Mac OS X 10.7. As a result of fixing the text highlighting failure in a document created using the Mac OS X 10.7 duplicate feature (see this post for more details of that bug), I found that the selecting the Duplicate menu item in a document's titlebar fails. Only when you try to edit a locked document and press the Duplicate button in the "this document is locked" dialog will successfully duplicate the document.

If you have Mac OS X 10.7, can you install the following test patch and tell us if this bug if you can duplicate an unlocked document?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-6-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I'd managed to see this problem too, after Patrick & Oscar's description of it and can confirm that it is now fixed for me too.

Text looks much sharper now.

It's interesting; to me it seems like the exact opposite (text is fuzzier now, just slightly—only enough to barely notice, but it annoys my eyes Sad ). However, when I take a screenshot, the fuzziness in the "new" rendering seems to vanish, so that the screenshots look identical Confused Even crazier, when I inspect the live rendering in detail with Pixie, the output is identical between the old Java code and the Test-12-and-up non-Java code! Somehow my eyes are seeing a difference my Mac is saying does not exist!

FWIW, this is 10.5.8 on a 2007-era MBP, with Font Smoothing set to "Automatic - best for main display" (which, via testing, is actually "Medium - best for Flat Panel").

Is there any explanation for this, other than my eyes playing tricks on me? I don't expect this can be debugged since screenshots show I'm crazy, so please don't spend much time on it; just interested if you happen to know of any logical explanation…

Thanks,
Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If you have Mac OS X 10.7, can you install the following test patch and tell us if this bug if you can duplicate an unlocked document?:

I can confirm that this bug both existed in Patch 5 Test 18 and is fixed in Patch 6 Test 1.

Andy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Is there any explanation for this, other than my eyes playing tricks on me? I don't expect this can be debugged since screenshots show I'm crazy, so please don't spend much time on it; just interested if you happen to know of any logical explanation…

If the screen snapshots are identical, then that tells me that Mac OS X's screen capture tools are grabbing from a drawing buffer so we know that Mac OS X is trying to drawing the same content to the display but the graphics card and/or display is rendering different results.

Although we will likely never know what is causing this, my first guess is that Java uses a different colorspace for drawing than does our new native code. Our new code uses the screen device's color space so one thing to try to changing the colorspace preference for your display while you have a document open. To change the colorspace, open the System Preferences application, click on the Displays icon, and select the Color tab and if there are multiple display profiles, select one and see if the clarity of text changes.

Edit by pluby: is it possible to use a phone or digital camera and take picture of a portion of a NeoOffice window running with and without Java? It may not be possible, but the more you can zoom into a small area in such pictures, the more likely we can see the subtle differences that your eyes are seeing.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

I remembered this morning that our laptop is a MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo from around 2007 (maybe late 2006) and so I cloned my Mac OS X 10.5 desktop volume to the MacBook Pro. I copied some "lorem ipsum" text into a Writer document and set the text to Times New Roman 12 point. I then set the font smoothing system preference to "Automatic - best for main display" and opened the document in NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 6 and then in NeoOffice 3.2.1 plus the test patch in this post.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see any difference so I set the font smooth system preference to "Medium - best for Flat Panel" and still saw no difference.

In both tests, I had the "Turn off text smoothing for font sizes X and smaller" set to "4".

Is there any details that are different in your settings or document than mine?

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject:

I got my text bolding problem on paste again. It is intermittent. The only thing that seems to be consistent about when I do have it is that I paste into a bullet list.

I am attaching the presentation and the two screen shots.

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject:

screenshot with problem, just after pasting
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject:

screenshot after any sort of refresh, like clicking outside text box (I clicked back in, to get that part of the screenshot otherwise identical, but that didn't change much)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject:

I think that ovvldc's problem is the same as the blurry text problem that sardisson reported. I think this is the case because when I zoomed into bothof ovvldc's screen snapshots, they were identical pixel by pixel even though ovvldc reported seeing differences on his screen.

My current theory is that the something is causing the clearing of the window to fail before new text is drawn and that is resulting in new text drawn on top of the old text. Since some of the pixels in glyphs are semi-transparent, this double drawing makes the text appear darker and slightly bold.

In an attempt to fix this issue, I have added code that explicitly clears a window using its background color immediately before copying a CGLayer's content to a window.

Can both of you install the following test patch and tell us if you still see this blurring of text? If so, does the blurring still not show up in screen snapshots?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-6-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject:

The patch seems to help; text seems sharper again. (Switching the color profile, before applying the patch, didn't have any effect.)

------

I've found another (ridiculous Wink ) bug, though:

1) With a document open, choose "About NeoOffice"
2) Try to click on the document without closing the "About NeoOffice" window
3) Repeat step 2 a couple of times

The text of the "About NeoOffice" window becomes progressively darker, as I guess it is repeatedly redrawn without being cleared first (see screenshot).

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12