· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Corrupted Embedded Objects
Corrupted Embedded Objects

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject:

It is now almost two weeks since installing the patch you provided. I have noticed no issues.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject:

gbh wrote:
It is now almost two weeks since installing the patch you provided. I have noticed no issues.

That is good news. I will include this fix in the next NeoOffice 3.3 official patch along with the fix for Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion dictation bug that was reported recently. Just to be safe, I will wait until the end of this month before releasing the next official patch.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the change that was in the previous test patch in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 3. The patch can be downloaded from the NeoOffice 3.3 patch download page.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject:

While working on a different bug yesterday, I found that my fix would sometimes fail to work in the Mac App Store versions of NeoOffice. Whenever NeoOffice 2014.7 was launched by double-clicking on a file in the Finder (or OS X's Resume feature made NeoOffice automatically open a file), NeoOffice's temporary folder would be set to the user's standard temporary folder and the old bug would return.

After some debugging, I found that the a standard OS X function - NSTemporaryDirectory() - was changing some environment variables that NeoOffice users to set its temporary folder so I modified my original fix to use private environment variables.

The modified fix for this bug is in the following test patches for anyone who wants to test the fix. Note: NeoOffice 3.4.1 was not affected by this bug but I backported the modified fix just to be safe:

NeoOffice 2014.7:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.7-Test-4-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 2014.7 Free Edition:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.7_Free_Edition-Test-4-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 3.4.1:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.4.1-Patch-11-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for this bug in NeoOffice 2014.8 which is available in Apple's Mac App Store.

I have also included the fix in NeoOffice 3.4.1 Patch 12 which can be downloaded from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject:

Patrick, this problem is cropping up again exactly as before. You may note you issued a patch which changed the storage location which fixed it. I am wondering if this is cropping up again. I am using the Mac App Store version. Unfortunately, I can't provide the document due to an NDA on it.

I am running Yosemite 10.10.5.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject:

Can you check if NeoOffice is creating its temporary files in the expected folder? To check, use the following steps:

1. Quit and relaunch NeoOffice

2. Open a document that has an embedded object and double-click on the object

3. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, paste the following command into the Terminal window, press the Return key, and post the output:
Code:
ls -lR ~/Library/Containers/org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition/Data/Library/Application\ Support/NeoOfficeSecureEdition

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject:

One more question: how are you opening these documents? By double-clicking on the document in the Finder, opening an attachment in an e-mail, or some other way?

I ask because I have seen cases where some mail applications write the attachment to a temporary file and then delete the temporary file shortly after asking NeoOffice to open it.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject:

Here is the output:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x@ 6 johndoe staff 204 Aug 26 12:46 sv5o2.tmp

/Users/johndoe/Library/Containers/org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition/Data/Library/Application Support/NeoOfficeSecureEdition/sv5o2.tmp:
total 96
-rw-------@ 1 johndoe staff 0 Aug 26 12:44 sv5ob.tmp
-rw-------@ 1 johndoe staff 0 Aug 26 12:46 sv5og.tmp
-rw-------@ 1 johndoe staff 20781 Aug 26 12:46 sv5oh.tmp
-rw-------@ 1 johndoe staff 20781 Aug 26 12:46 sv5oj.tmp

Your question- I am accessing these items by double-clicking on them.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

Your output looks normal so temporary files are getting created in the right folder. So, can you collect some more information using the following steps?:

1. Can you right-click or Control-click on the embedded OLE object and, in the popup menu that appears, select the "Object" menu item?

2. In the dialog that appears, click on on the "Hyperlink" tab and take a screen snapshot. You can take screen snapshot using the steps in this Apple support article.

Also, I have one more question: does this problem occur only after you have had your document open for more than a day? Or does it occur immediately after opening the document?

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

Attached is the shot. I think it was open most of the day. I don't recall if I closed and then reopened. The picture and information I provided is from the document I restored back to pre-corruption from a backup. I have the original corrupted file and the attachment would look identical. Also, I have attached what the corrupted object in the corrupted document looks like.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

I did a search through NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice code and found some code that is still using the OS X temporary folder instead of NeoOffice's custom temporary folder.

I have modified the OpenOffice code to use NeoOffice's custom temporary folder. While I am not sure if your file corruption problem is caused by this part of the OpenOffice code, it is one more possible bit of code that could be affected by OS X's automatic temporary file cleanup process so can you install one of the following test patches and tell us if the file corruption still occurs?:

NeoOffice 2014.13:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.13-Test-3-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 2014.13 Free Edition:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.13_Free_Edition-Test-3-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 3.4.1:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.4.1-Patch-17-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

While reading through NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice code, I found another bug where embedded objects and images can fail to be saved.

Fortunately, the OpenOffice engineers fixed this bug so I have backported their fix in the following test patches:

NeoOffice 2014.13:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.13-Test-4-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 2014.13 Free Edition:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.13_Free_Edition-Test-4-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 3.4.1:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.4.1-Patch-17-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for the OpenOffice bug in NeoOffice 2015 which is available in Apple's Mac App Store.

I have also included the fix in NeoOffice 2015 Classic Edition which can be downloaded from the NeoOffice download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3