· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Pop-up menus in base
Pop-up menus in base

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Pop-up menus in base

This is an old one (which I've only just remembered), but since we have the new non-Java code, maybe its time to revisit it, though I appreciate it may be a low priority.

Attached are some screen shots of the menu for selecting field types in the Edit Table window in Base, and also the Index Design window which is opened by the second tool bar button in the Edit Table window.

As far as I know these have been like this since the days of the "cheap whore effect" and there may be a good reason why they didn't get fixed then, but maybe in the new native NeoOffice, there is a way. (It could just be that so few people use base they fell off the radar!)

Andy
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject:

And just for completeness a fourth screen shot.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject:

I put some debugging code in our native listbox drawing code and found that something very unexpected is happening when drawing the Base listboxes. Not only are the shifted down and to the right like in your screen snapshots, but the listbox's button is being clipped off of the right because our code is drawing the listbox 40 or so pixels too wide.

Just to see if fixing the positioning and width problems will solve the Base listbox drawing bugs, I temporarily hardcoded a slight shift upward and to the left and reduced listbox widths by 15 pixels. With this hacky change, the listbox looks close to normal as shown in the attached screen snapshot so I believe that this bug is fixable.

I will investigate this bug after I work through the hanging bug that you found and this Retina display text blurriness issue.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug in the following test patch. The vertical alignment is not perfect but I think my fix is at least readable given the very narrow row height that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code is using for Base.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta-Patch-0-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject:

I've installed Patch 0 Test 3

That's certainly better. I've attached screen shots to show what I see in OS X 10.7. The drop down menu is still not joined on the button, and the placement of the button is not as good as in your hacked fix that you posted an image of. But it's not the biggest of the bugs at the moment!

The menu in the Index Design window is the same this one.

Andy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
That's certainly better. I've attached screen shots to show what I see in OS X 10.7. The drop down menu is still not joined on the button, and the placement of the button is not as good as in your hacked fix that you posted an image of. But it's not the biggest of the bugs at the moment!

The screen snapshots that you posted are how the fix should look. My screen snapshot was a hardcode hack just to determine what the cause of the problem.I cannot shift all listboxes up and to the right as it will cause every other listbox in NeoOffice to not have room for the Mac OS X focus ring and there is nothing in the OpenOffice.org code that is passed to our listbox drawing code that tells us that we don't need to ever draw a focus ring for this particular listbox.

So, the listbox plus its focus ring padding makes this particular listbox not fit within the very near row height that the OpenOffice.org code provides. As a result, the listbox popup window looks like it is misaligned but it is aligned properly with the bottom of the listbox. What you see is the OpenOffice.org code clipping any drawing that falls outside the top and bottom of the current row.

To fix the clipping of the bottom of the listbox would require rewriting portions of the OpenOffice.org Base application code. I just don't think that this particular bug warrants opening such a big new frontier of OpenOffice.org so, IMHO, the current fix is a "not ideal but good enough" fix.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject:

That sounds fair enough! Smile

Cheers,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix this bug in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta Patch 1. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice 3.3 Beta patch download page.

I have also included the fix in NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 7. You can download the patch from the NeoOffice 3.2.1 patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum