· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Writer Crashes
Writer Crashes

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Writer Crashes

I know this description will probably be too vague. I am having periodic crashes when exiting an embedded calc sheet in a writer document, with the writer document crashing. I can't predict when this is going to happen (not very often) and it happens with multiple documents.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject:

If you can attach 2 or 3 of the most recent crash logs in your ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter folder, that might help. The NeoOffice crash log files in that folder will have a name starting with "soffice.bin".

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject:

Ignore my last post. I think that I better approach would be if you could install the following test patch and then, if you encounter the crash again, post the crash log. The following test patch includes fixes for several other bugs and, hopefully, it fixes yours as well. But if not, I will see if the next crash log gives any hints as to what is causing the crashing that you see:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject:

Correction: install the following test patch as this is the latest test patch:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-5-Intel.dmg

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject:

Just installed. Will let you know.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Whenever it is convenient for you, can you install the following newer test patch?

This test patch fixes a couple of other cases that were found where the menubar will be set to empty. Most of these cases occurred when one or more document windows were minimized, but hopefully the fixes for those cases might also prevent the menubar from being set to empty in your case:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-8-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject:

Can you install NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Patch 1 which you can download from the NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 patch download page and tell us if you are still seeing any crashing?

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject:

As an update, so far no subsequent crashes with patch.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject:

That is good news!

But if you do see any crashes in NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Patch 1, please don't hesitate to post a new crash log and any steps that you remember doing immediately before the crash and we will investigate.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Writer crashed again. I was exiting out of an embedded calc document when it happened. Attached is the crash information if you can glean anything from it.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Your crash log indicates that the crash is occurring in Apple's NSPersistentUI functions. From what I can tell, these functions save details like the position and size of windows to disk. We don't invoke these functions (Apple's native windows and menus trigger this code to run) so there appears to be a bug in Apple's code.

While we cannot fix Apple's code, can you reboot your machine in "Safe Boot" mode using the steps in this Apple technote?

What Safe Boot does is described in detail in this technote, but what I am most interested is whether the disk repair step and/or excluding loading all non-Apple kernel extensions stops the crashing.

If the crashing does not occur in Safe Boot mode, then reboot normally and tell us if the crashing resumes. Hopefully, the cause of the crash in Apple's code is caused by a disk error that Safe Boot's disk repair step will fix.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject:

I forgot to add that I noticed that you are using Mac OS X 10.8.1 developer seed so if the crashing still occurs in Safe Boot mode or after rebooting back to normal mode, you have probably found a bug in that developer seed and you should report the crash to Apple.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject:

A colleague in my office is having Writer crashes also- several times per day. That includes with the beta and with the new final release. He is on 10.8 OSX. He says the crashes typically occur when he is working with an embedded calc document in writer or existing out of the calc table in writer. That has been my experience also. His crashes have ended up with the missing symbol in his writer document for the table, whereas mine have not. Sorry I can't give you any more details than that.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject:

gbh wrote:
A colleague in my office is having Writer crashes also- several times per day. That includes with the beta and with the new final release. He is on 10.8 OSX. He says the crashes typically occur when he is working with an embedded calc document in writer or existing out of the calc table in writer. That has been my experience also. His crashes have ended up with the missing symbol in his writer document for the table, whereas mine have not. Sorry I can't give you any more details than that.

Sorry, but your "me too" report does not explain why Apple's code is crashing. As I already explained in an earlier post, Apple's code has spawned its own thread of code and that is where the crash in your crash log is.

Since the crash is in a thread of 100% Apple code and their code is not something that NeoOffice spawns (that code is automatically run by Mac OS X as soon as any windows are shown), I do not see anyone other than Apple who can fix this.

You did not indicate whether or not you and your colleague rebooted into Safe Boot mode as I suggested. Did you do that? If so, the only other suggestion I can give you is to quit NeoOffice and delete the following files. I believe that the Apple code that is crashing writes to one or both of the following files and deleting them may avoid whatever bug is in Apple's code:
Code:
~/Library/Preferences/org.neooffice.NeoOffice.plist
~/Library/Preferences/org.neooffice.NeoOffice.LSSharedFileList.plist

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick. I will pass these on to him to try. I did the safe mode the other day and personally had no crashes until this afternoon. I will try the other suggestion on mine tomorrow. Mine is not the final release, so I will it with that, whereas he is on now on the final.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4