NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo/J and the speed factor
Neo/J and the speed factor

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject:

Oh, the Carbon event loop is actually embedded within the virtual machine itself. We're still using Java 1.3.1 on Mac OS X which is a Carbon based VM. There are a number of reasons not the least of which is that 1.4 was really immature when we started.

The way we actually did the menus wasn't through swing as mentioned in the article but rather through the AWT menu system, e.g. Java classes like

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/java/awt/Menu.html

It's good in that it doesn't introduce too many new Carbon dependencies aside from needing to get activation messages for menus and some other things that aren't exposed from within Java. OOo is really finicky and really wants all of its platforms to conform to its own view of the world which, for better or for worse, looks a lot like Windows and X11 from a technological point of view. That's why the Mac menubar is arguably the most difficult stuff to work on.

ed
ben_h

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject:

I think the speed issue with Neo/J and OOo in general is the biggest problem it has. I for one feel really reluctant to use it, and there are two reasons for this.

-- The speed / bloat issue
-- The fact that the interface is inconsistent with other Mac OS X apps

I realise this second one is off-topic and probably rather involved to fix. But I just wanted to throw it in there, by the by.

Example: Fire up Neo/J, load a document (I tried this with a .ppt import), and move the mouse around the window without clicking on anything. 100% CPU usage.

This is on a Mac mini 1.25GHz / 1GB RAM.

There's a lot more going on there than should be. Smile
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject:

ben_h wrote:
-- The speed / bloat issue

Well, OpenOffice.org is a bit of a heavy boy in itself. And the need for a Java runtime, which eats a lot of memory even if it doesn't need to is not helping. Unfortunately, both are beyond our control.

As for speed, I wonder if the Java 1.4 code and bindings will be faster. I hope so but it probably will not save much.

ben_h wrote:
-- The fact that the interface is inconsistent with other Mac OS X apps

I realise this second one is off-topic and probably rather involved to fix. But I just wanted to throw it in there, by the by.

True, though in all fairness, serious strides have been made in this with regards to the menus and print dialog.

ben_h wrote:
Example: Fire up Neo/J, load a document (I tried this with a .ppt import), and move the mouse around the window without clicking on anything. 100% CPU usage.

This is on a Mac mini 1.25GHz / 1GB RAM.

There's a lot more going on there than should be. Smile

100% CPU is not a bad thing in itself, it means the Mac is working hard. As long as it is not doing it for more than a few seconds because then it starts to impair your workflow..

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject:

When compiling my cpu usually lives at 100% just about all the time. Sometimes on dualies I'm even close to 200%! Usually things remain snappy for me. The only consistent annoyance of 10.4 machines at high CPU load is that Safari sometimes fails to resolve names properly.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2