Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Currently selected color in color floating palettes?
Currently selected color in color floating palettes?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Currently selected color in color floating palettes?

Hello,

Would it be possible to display which color is currently selected in the color floating palettes ?

In the attached example, I have applied a red background to the cell containing the Test word. If I put my cursor in that cell (not shown on the picture, but this was the case), I cannot see, on the background colors palette, which color is selected.

For the red color there is not too much ambiguity, but for some blue colors for example, it is rather difficult to figure out which blue is selected.

Regards.

PS: I am on OS X 10.6.8, so if this is a limitation of my OS, please disregard my request.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject:

I am not familiar with the OpenOffice.org code that NeoOffice uses to display the various color palette floating windows so I will need to review the OpenOffice.org code to see if I can get a sense of whether or not your new feature request is feasible to implement.

I will try to look at the code and post any news that I have in the coming week. If it appears feasible to implement, I'll also post how many other NeoOffice users need to vote for this new feature to give us a good level of confidence that the new feature will generate the necessary payments to fund the implementation work.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject:

I spent a couple of hours investigating the OpenOffice.org color palette code and I am pretty confident that it is feasible for us to implement setting the selected color in the 3 color palettes (font color, highlight color, background color) using the selected text's colors.

Since this new feature request is feasible, the only other thing that we need to see is whether enough other users who have paid US$25 or more in the past year also want us to implement this proposed change.

I estimate that it will probably require a full week of engineering work to implement fmu's proposed change so if at least 10 other NeoOffice users who have paid US$25 or more in the past year reply to this post that they also want this change, then we will have a pretty good level of confidence that spending a week of our very limited engineering time on this feature will provide something that other users will value.

Is this a change that any other NeoOffice users want to see added to NeoOffice? If so, please post and let us know.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject:

I would like to see this done. I find those palettes in general confusing at the moment.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject:

I'd be in favour of this. No more playing guess the last colour you chose!

Andy
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject:

I'm another who would value this feature.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject:

I would find it helpful as well.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject:

This is one of the many things I've found "buggy" about those things since day 1, and fixing it would be a great improvement! Smile
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject:

I think I found a way to implement this new feature request with only a small amount of change in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code so I went ahead and implemented the new feature request in the following test patch.

Can anyone install the test patch and tell us if the new feature works on their machine?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-4-Test-8-Intel.dmg

Note: for some unknown reason, Writer's Highlighting color palette does not have this new feature but the font color and background color palettes should work.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject:

Works fine for me in Writer for font colour and background colour and in Impress for font colour at least Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I noticed that my changes in the last test patch can sometimes cause a repaint of the entire toolbar when first opening a color palette in Writer so in the following test patch I changed the code to only update the color palette color when the selected color changes:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-4-Test-9-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Patch 4 Test 9 works as described for me in a quick test with Writer and Spreadsheet.

I'm not sure if this is a change in behaviour, but when the window is too narrow to accommodate the buttons for colour and you get to them using the >> menu at the right of the toolbar, the palettes do not display. Instead a colour from the top row of colours is selected for the highlighted text.

Cheers,

Andy
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I'm not sure if this is a change in behaviour, but when the window is too narrow to accommodate the buttons for colour and you get to them using the >> menu at the right of the toolbar, the palettes do not display. Instead a colour from the top row of colours is selected for the highlighted text.

That's an ancient OOo behavior/bug; I think I filed a bug report on it back in the very early days before I realized filing OOo bugs was a waste of time Razz

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:

I can reproduce this. This also happens you press the toolbar icon and drag the "paint bucket" icon over text. In both cases, the color being applied is the palette's color that was set before my new code changes the color so I suspect that I need to propagate my color change to some additional place in the OpenOffice.org code.

I'll post again when I have a fix for this bug.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed the problem that amayze found where clicking on one of the color toolbar buttons applies a different color than the color shown in the toolbar icon.

Can anyone install the test patch and confirm that this problem is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-4-Test-10-Intel.dmg

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3