Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice crashes on opening docx document
NeoOffice crashes on opening docx document

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: NeoOffice crashes on opening docx document

NeoOffice has been beginning to launch, partially drawing document and toolbar windows then crashing without warning when opening a docx document. I attach a crash log. I can attach the original document as well. It contains some personal information, but nothing private.

NO 3.3 Patch 5 OSX 10.8.2

Regards

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject:

I might need the original document but first can you install the following debug patch and try opening your document? It will still crash, but the debug patch will post messages in the /Applications/Utilities/Console application whenever the function that your crash log indicates is where the crash occurs in.

If you can post any messages in the Console application window, I can determine if the crash will likely be fixable by backporting some OpenOffice and/or LibreOffice code:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-5-Debug-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject:

Thank you for your prompt response, Patrick.
Console: System Log Queries: All Messages reports:
Quote:
11/03/2013 16:08:14.766 ReportCrash[5387]: Saved crash report for soffice.bin[5358] version 3.3 Patch 5 (3.3 Patch 5 Intel [pluby:guibonewmini.local.]) to /Users/jamesrichards/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/soffice.bin_2013-03-11-160814_James-Richards-MBP.crash

I attach the crash report
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject:

Looks like the messages are not getting sent to the Console application so can you quit NeoOffice and launch it from the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application pasting the following command into a Terminal window and pressing the Return key?:

Code:
/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin

After NeoOffice launches, try opening the .docx file and post any messages that appear in the Terminal window.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject:

I forgot to add that if you see no messages starting with "GetPropName:" when launching NeoOffice in a Terminal window, then would you be able to attach the .docx file?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject:

OK. My mistake earlier. I sent you a User Diagnostic Report, not a crash log. I've followed the procedure you described (launching from Terminal). NO crashed again. Still no crash log. There is a soffice.bin.crash.log listed in the Crash Reporter files, but it dates from May last year, and NO 3.1.2 and my previous laptop!

I attach both the User Diagnostic Report from the time of the latest crash, and the docx file that is causing the trouble.

Regards

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I attach both the User Diagnostic Report from the time of the latest crash, and the docx file that is causing the trouble.

The debug patch was not intended to fix the bug. At best, it would only output some logging messages that might narrow down where the crash is occurring.

But since you attached the .docx file and I can reproduce the crash with your .docx file, I won't need you to install any more debug patches as I can now investigate the bug on my machines.

When I find the cause of the crashing bug and I have found a fix for it, I will post a test patch for you to try.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject:

I have fixed the crashing bug that occurs when opening your .docx file in the following test patch:

I found that the watermark and shape around the logo in the document triggered the crash. NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code cannot handle those artwork objects and so when the first artwork object fails to be imported, a cascade of corrupted memory within the Writer code occurs.

In other words, the OpenOffice.org .docx artwork object import code is extremely fragile and, IMO, very unstable. Due to our limited engineering resources (that is, only me), reimplementing OpenOffice.org's artwork object import code so that it is stable and handles watermarks correctly is not feasible (it look 2 full days of work just to find where the code that triggers the crash). So, to fix this bug, I disabled import of artwork objects.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the crashing bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-5-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject:

I found a way to fix this crashing bug without having to disable artwork objects. I think this is a much better fix than the fix in the test that I posted earlier today.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the crashing bug is fixed for you?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-5-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject:

Patrick,

Thanks for this. The document now opens without crashing NO. Some of the artwork comes through as well, which is a bonus.

Of the resources *I* have available, both Preview and TextEdit struggle with the graphic content of this document, and NO's output is at least as good as theirs. Pages appears to make the best job of it (see attachment - purely for information - which is a PDF print from Pages), and I guess that is because it is a fundamentally newer product, and OOo has not been so quick in catching up with this.

Thank you again for eliminating the crash, and producing a good workable result.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject:

Your output from Pages matches what I see in Microsoft Word 2008. Your experience strengthens my feeling that if you need really accurate rendering of .docx files and Microsoft Office is too expensive, Apple's Pages product is the next best alternative. Granted, Pages costs roughly US$20, but if you need to deal with complex .docx files frequently, that price may be worth it for many people.

While we cannot promise that NeoOffice will render .docx files as good as Word or Pages, what we can promise is that we will fix any reproducible crashes that our users report to us when opening .docx files. Stability is our primary concern so while fixing the crash that you reported, yesterday's test patch includes fixes for the following other .docx crashing bugs that I backported from recent versions of OpenOffice and LibreOffice:

- OpenOffice bug 112516
- LibreOffice bug 42450

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included fixes for various crash when opening .docx bugs in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 6. The patch can be downloaded from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1