NeoOffice :: View topic - .accdb file support
.accdb file support

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maclink
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: .accdb file support

Hi,

New to OpenOffice here. I see it as an important project and have since made my contribution. I do so regardless of whether or not I'll actually use it a lot.

Right now I'm trying to open my daughter's MS Access dbase .accdb file and haven't been getting anywhere.

Is this possible now or in the future?

Thanks...
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject:

NeoOffice does not support Microsoft Access databases and we have no plans to add such support in the future.

Our very limited engineering resources (Ed and I) is already committed to doing the following work in order to keep NeoOffice running well with changes that we see Apple pushing out in the near future. Unfortunately, expanding the supported file formats that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice code supports is a massive effort and it is just not feasible for Ed and I:

1. Implement the ability to run within Mac OS X's application sandbox. Although Apple does not yet require applications to use the application sandbox, Apple started requiring application sandboxing for new submissions to their Mac App Store. Digital signing of applications also started as an App Store-only requirement before it became a requirement in Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion so we expect that the application sandbox will become a requirement in some form very soon.

2. Reimplement all of the native buttons, scrollbars, and other controls. Current, NeoOffice (as well OpenOffice and LibreOffice) use Mac OS X's HITheme functions to draw native buttons, scrollbars, and other controls but Apple has marked the HITheme functions as "deprecated". This means that Apple will remove the HITheme functions in a future version of Mac OS X so we need to prepare by replacing all of our code that uses the HITheme functions with Cocoa functions that perform the same result.

3. Implement any changes required by Apple's upcoming Mac OS X 10.9 release. Last year, Apple promised annual releases of Mac OS X. The Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.8 Mountain Lion releases each took several months of work to adapt the NeoOffice code. We expect that Mac OS X 10.9 will be no different so we have already started working on replacing all deprecated Mac OS X functions from the NeoOffice code and its underlying OpenOffice.org code.

Patrick
maclink
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject:

Fair enough. Smile

I was more hoping that there was a third party module/plugin or something available rather than expecting an effort on the part of the core code developers of two.

Thanks.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject:

maclink wrote:
I was more hoping that there was a third party module/plugin or something available rather than expecting an effort on the part of the core code developers of two.

Unfortunately, neither Ed nor I spend any time evaluating third-party extensions so we cannot offer any product evaluations or opinions. Unlike many other sites, these forums are not a "user to user" or "customer service" forum. Instead, this forum is generally used by users to post critical crashing or hanging bugs. In return for the US$100 payment, we focus all our attention immediately on finding and fixing such critical bugs.

BTW, we understand that you may not have realized how limited the scope of our forums are so if you feel that you don't want or need our "fixing and finding critical crashing and hanging bugs" support service, just let us know and we'll be happy to refund your payment.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject:

FYI, there is some old information in the wiki about third-party solutions that were possibly available several years ago: http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Working_with_Microsoft_Access_databases

Note: That information is several years old now and may no longer be accurate in any way or compatible with current versions of NeoOffice. Also note that, as the page says, to our knowledge no-one ever tested out the solutions listed there; they were merely listed based on some preliminary investigation.

I do seem to recall having seen something a year or so ago about an app on the Mac App Store that claimed to be able to open Access databases, but it's not something I investigated.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
FYI, there is some old information in the wiki about third-party solutions that were possibly available several years ago: http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Working_with_Microsoft_Access_databases

Thanks for posting the link Smokey.

One additional warning to our users: before you pay any money to try any of the possible solutions listed in Smokey's NeoWiki page, you should be aware that it is highly unlikely that any of the listed solutions will support the inputs forms or reports that may be in your Access database.

At best, ODBC and JDBC drivers will support querying and maybe direct editing of the tables in your Access database. This may be adequate if you only are familiar with SQL or only need to do simple queries on your tables, but if you need to use your database's input forms or reports, your only reliable option may be to run Microsoft Office for Windows since even Microsoft Office for Mac does not open Access databases.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1