· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Accidental zoom triggers crash
Accidental zoom triggers crash

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject:

…and here's a screenshot of the NeoOffice process Memory dialog just after opening NeoOffice (in case it shows anything strange), and for reference.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the Terminal output. The output indicates that you have lots of unused disk. The Activity Monitor's memory looks normal for NeoOffice immediately after launch so if you can use the Activity Monitor application to watch for any sharp increases in memory usage, that would be very helpful.

Also, can you try repeating the pasting operation that you did immediately before the crash to see if the crash is reproducible? It is possible that NeoOffice is doing something unexpected like converting all of the copied content to a massive image and that is using up all available memory.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Ignore my last post. I found a case where copying certain web pages in Firefox and then pasting them in Calc would cause NeoOffice to crash. Since you were pasting a web page into Calc when you had your crash, I suspect that the OpenOffice.org HTML pasting code is the source of your crash.

So, can you open a new empty Calc document, copy the same web page that you were copying before the crash, and paste into Calc? Try to select the same portions of the web page as you did before the crash.

While you are waiting for the pasting to finish, can you open the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application and watch NeoOffice's real and virtual memory usage? I am curious if the pasting into Calc uses up a bunch of memory or crashes.

Once you determined whether pasting the same web page causes Calc to use up a bunch of memory or crash, can you install the following test patch and repeat the above? This test patch fixes the crash that I found and possibly it might fix the crash that you experienced:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-7-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject:

This is by way of being a status report as there hasn't been a further crash so far. I have downloaded and installed patch 7. Obviously once I started running NeoOffice the memory usage stats started to change, and I attach a couple of screenshots. As I haven't watched this information before, I don't know what might be significant. One thing is that as soon as I started working with documents the Virtual Memory number more or less doubled into the GB range. It keeps increasing. Opening a document, or opening a dialog, or zooming the view keep increasing it by increments of .02 GB or more. Presumably, though this is accommodated by the hard disk.

I've just checked again. NeoOffice is in the background and not performing any tasks AFAIK, but the figure for virtual memory usage is steadily ticking upwards 10MB in about 45 seconds. If it goes on doing this it will eventually hit the 4.3 GB mark just through being open.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject:

While typing my last post, I took a Sample in Activity Monitor while the steady increase of memory usage was happening, in case it helps.

I couldn't attach it to my previous post, so I am attaching it now.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject:

Another screenshot to celebrate passing the GB mark - and to give you a sense of how fast slow the process is. NO in the background the whole time since my last two posts, and not performing any task AFAIK.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject:

OK, I've now had a crash. I was playing about with NO to see what was happening. Pinch zooming was reliably increasing the Real Memory Size by about .01 GB per zoom on Write documents. It appeared to be less consistent with Calc documents. Also opening document windows seemed to add .01-.02 GB.

Occasionally during normal usage the size did seem to go down - at one point, for example, when I opened a .doc file.

I attach a snapshot of the Activity Monitor Inspection Window for NeoOffice just after the crash (but I think the figures are the same as at the crash), also a snapshot from the Terminal window and the User Diagnostic Log
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
While typing my last post, I took a Sample in Activity Monitor while the steady increase of memory usage was happening, in case it helps.

I don't see the increase in memory usage that you are seeing but from your sample, it looks like you had a Calc document open that has notes and remotely loaded images so maybe something in your Calc document contains the necessary trigger for the increasing memory usage.

So, can you try installing the test patch in this post and see if you get the same rapid increase in memory usage?

If you still get the same rapid increase in memory usage, would you be able to attach the documents that you had open when you took the sample so that I can see if I can reproduce the same increasing memory usage on my machine?

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject:

In the meantime I have provoked another crash, and attach the usual screenshots and diagnostic log. I will attach the documents I was using in my next post(s). The crash was provoked by repeated two-finger scrolling and pinch zooming.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, I could not get virtual memory to get much over 1 GB after running the .ods file in NeoOffice on my Mac OS X 10.8.3 machine for a half hour despite doing pinch gestures on the trackpad every few minutes.

So I have a couple more questions:

1. Can you confirm whether or not you saw any differences with the test patch versus the official Patch 7?

2. If memory usage still increases rapidly with the test patch, can you see if any NeoOffice user preferences or third-party extensions might be causing this problem by doing the following steps?:

- Quit NeoOffice
- Move your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0 folder to your Desktop
- Restart NeoOffice, open the same documents that have triggered the rapidly increasing memory usage, and monitor memory usage with the Activity Monitor application

If memory usage seems to increase significantly slower, can you zip the old NeoOffice-3.0 that you moved to your Desktop and attach the zip file? You can zip the old NeoOffice-3.0 folder by right-clicking or Control-clicking the folder and, in the popup menu that appears, selecting the "Compress" menu item.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Unfortunately, I could not get virtual memory to get much over 1 GB after running the .ods file in NeoOffice on my Mac OS X 10.8.3 machine for a half hour despite doing pinch gestures on the trackpad every few minutes.

It's been some years since I've done anything with Zombies, but couldn't that be part of the increased memory usage James is seeing? The way I recall Zombies working is that objects are never thrown away, even when they're done being used, so their memory is never returned, either, leading to a steady increase in memory usage.

Since James's screenshots indicate he is still running with Zombies enabled, perhaps this explains the difference between what you and he are seeing?

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Since James's screenshots indicate he is still running with Zombies enabled, perhaps this explains the difference between what you and he are seeing?

I definitely think Smokey is right. I had completely forgot about that side effect of running with the NSZombieEnabled environment variable and I got "tunnel vision" after I found that OpenOffice.org crash when pasting a web page into a Calc document.

James, if you launch NeoOffice normal (without the Terminal command), do you see memory usage grow significantly slower?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject:

I just wanted to acknowledge that I've picked up these posts. It's late here now, so I'll come back to this in the morning, my local time. (When I hope you guys will be peacefully sleeping.)
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject:

OK I've launched NeoOffice normally and I am not seeing the memory rises that I was reporting before. (No crashes as yet either.) FWIW my impression was that I could provoke a crash by pushing my memory usage up to the levels shown. Could it have been the high memory usage that was provoking the crash?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
....Could it have been the high memory usage that was provoking the crash?

Definitely yes. All of the crash from this post and onward were clearly crashes due to running out of memory. The "malloc...failed" messages in the Terminal were the key piece of data that indicated that NeoOffice was running out of memory.

At this point, the only unsolved crash in this topic is this one. Since you have not had that same crash again and using the NSZombieEnabled environment variable causes NeoOffice to use up all available memory too quickly, I would recommend that you stop using the Terminal until that crash reappears.

BTW, I condensed our discussion of the "out of memory" crashes by removing a few posts and your attachments. In retrospect, your documents weren't needed so I thought that I would err on the safe side and remove them.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6