NeoOffice :: View topic - Excessive CPU load
Excessive CPU load

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Excessive CPU load

Hello,

With the latest NeoOffice Release, I frequently get 100% CPU usage while doing strictly nothing (except having a 152 pages document opened). As someone else experienced this problem?

Please note that I really don't know if this is with the latest version or it started a few patches ago, but I am quite sure I don't remember having the fan spinning like hell because of an opened document.

Regards.

Model: MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010), 4 Gb of RAM
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 2.4 GHz
Graphics Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Mac OS X: 10.6.8
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive CPU load

fmu wrote:
With the latest NeoOffice Release, I frequently get 100% CPU usage while doing strictly nothing (except having a 152 pages document opened). As someone else experienced this problem?

The next time that this happens, can you take a sample of the NeoOffice application using the Activity Monitor application and attach the sample? From such a sample, I can usually see where in the NeoOffice code (or its underlying OpenOffice.org code) the high CPU usage is occurring.

Instructions for using the Activity Monitor application are available in this NeoWiki article.

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive CPU load

pluby wrote:
fmu wrote:

The next time that this happens, can you take a sample of the NeoOffice application using the Activity Monitor application and attach the sample? From such a sample, I can usually see where in the NeoOffice code (or its underlying OpenOffice.org code) the high CPU usage is occurring.

Patrick

Hi patrick
Here is the sample of NeoOffice.
Regards.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Your sample indicates that NeoOffice is spending all of the sample time executing some Java-based grammar checking code.

Since no Java-based grammar checking code is shipped with NeoOffice, I suspect that you have installed a third party extension that is performing grammar checking of your entire 100+ page document.

If you select the Tools :: Extension Manager menu, are there any extensions listed that appear to do grammar checking? If so, can you disable those extensions, quit and relaunch NeoOffice, and see if the 100% CPU usage reoccurs?

If the 100% CPU usage reoccurs while your grammar checking extensions are disabled, please collect a new Activity Monitor sample and attach it and I will compare it to your first sample.

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Your sample indicates that NeoOffice is spending all of the sample time executing some Java-based grammar checking code.

Since no Java-based grammar checking code is shipped with NeoOffice, I suspect that you have installed a third party extension that is performing grammar checking of your entire 100+ page document.

If you select the Tools :: Extension Manager menu, are there any extensions listed that appear to do grammar checking? If so, can you disable those extensions, quit and relaunch NeoOffice, and see if the 100% CPU usage reoccurs?

If the 100% CPU usage reoccurs while your grammar checking extensions are disabled, please collect a new Activity Monitor sample and attach it and I will compare it to your first sample.

Patrick

Hi Patrick

You are absolutely right. The culprit is Language Tool!
Once I deactivated it, CPU usage reverts back to something normal.
I still do not understand why "suddently" I got this behavior.
Maybe some corrupted settings somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for your support and sorry to have mobilized some of your resource for nothing.

Regards
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject:

fmu wrote:
You are absolutely right. The culprit is Language Tool!
Once I deactivated it, CPU usage reverts back to something normal.
I still do not understand why "suddently" I got this behavior.
Maybe some corrupted settings somewhere.

I would suspect that document length is what Language Tool is sensitive to. I would assume that grammar checking a 150 page document takes roughly 150 times longer than checking a single page document.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1