NeoOffice :: View topic - Oddly long save times
Oddly long save times

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Oddly long save times

Dear Patrick,

Maybe this was discussed recently, but I ran into an issue where a fairly simple presentation takes some ten seconds to save. Not normally a problem, but it also crashed on me once. Furthermore, I am on a latest model Macbook Air with Core i7 and SSD, so no file operations take long here.

If I start NeoOffice fresh and edit it, it saves in a second or so. But when I had it open for a few hours after editing a bit and then quit, it took long.

I am also noticing a large amount of the following messages in the console log:

24-02-14 22:35:25,121 soffice.bin[17017]: dynamic_cast error 2: One or more of the following type_info's has hidden visibility. They should all have public visibility. N3com3sun4star3uno10XInterfaceE, N3sdr5table15SdrTableObjImplE, N3sdr5table15TableDesignUserE.

I am attaching the presentation and also the crash log. I hope this is helpful. If not let me know how I can find out more. It isn't urgent, as the autosaves protected my data.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oddly long save times

Does the slow saving only occur when you save while quitting? Or does normal saving also get very slow after having the document open for a while?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oddly long save times

pluby wrote:
Does the slow saving only occur when you save while quitting? Or does normal saving also get very slow after having the document open for a while?

I also looked at your crash log and memory usage at the time of the crash seems high. I am wondering if there is a memory leak and things are getting slow because NeoOffice is using up a lot of memory.

To see if memory is an issue, can you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application, click on the Memory tab, and when a slow save occurs, can you tell us how many MB is shown in the Memory column for NeoOffice in the Activity Monitor application?

Edit by pluby: updated Activity Monitor steps

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject:

I tried yesterday but the problem didn't surface at all anymore. I also suspected a leak, but it hasn't surfaced anymore. Memory usage crept up from 75MB initially to over 120 MB, but I did also expand the document.

The only thing that was consistent is that when I pull a slide to move it 10 or so slides ahead or back in the thumbnails on the left of my drawing area, the UI will slow down significantly.

I will let you know if I find out more.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
The only thing that was consistent is that when I pull a slide to move it 10 or so slides ahead or back in the thumbnails on the left of my drawing area, the UI will slow down significantly.

I cannot reproduce that behavior on my MacBook Pro. Maybe the steps that I used are different than yours? I moved the "Optimisation example" slide ahead and back but did not see any slowdown when editing a text blocks. Are you using different slide moving steps or seeing the slowdown when doing things other than editing text?

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject:

For me, it went noticeably slower once I hit the bottom of the pile, but then I tried again and it didn't. Really annoying.

I seems to be wasting your time. Let's not worry about it anymore until I run into something easily reproducible.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I seems to be wasting your time. Let's not worry about it anymore until I run into something easily reproducible.

OK. But one thing you might want to do when it happens again is go to the CPU tab in the Activity Monitor application and see if NeoOffice or any other application is using a significant amount of CPU.

I mention this because yesterday I had an application hit 100% CPU while I was typing in a Terminal window and the slowdown maid typing incredibly slow for a minute or so until I figured out that excessive CPU usage was the cause of the problem.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject:

I will, thanks Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1