· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Updated translations on main website's home page
Updated translations on main website's home page

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Updated translations on main website's home page

Last week I noticed that our German, French, Italian, and Dutch home pages were now mostly English. Since there are a lot of users in countries that speak those languages, I spent this weekend updating the translations on the following pages:I admit that my translation skills are very limited so if anyone sees any obvious mistakes or mangled wording, please let me know. I don't doubt that my translations sound like a non-native speaker, but my hope is that the translations give non-English speakers enough information to assess what NeoOffice is without having to translate from English.

My guess is that my German and Dutch translations are likely much worse than my French and Italian ones. One section of text that I struggled with was the second paragraph (the one with "in 2003"). I never feel sure that I am using the correct tense when conjugating verbs. Ed reviewed my French translations but I was guessing at the tense to use for German and Dutch.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject:

My French is super-rusty, but I took a quick look anyway, and it seems like you and Ed did as well or better than I could Smile

I did notice, however, that in the bullet list at the bottom, Significant speed improvements to the OpenOffice text layout, rendering, and printing code is untranslated.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I did notice, however, that in the bullet list at the bottom, Significant speed improvements to the OpenOffice text layout, rendering, and printing code is untranslated.

I missed that item. I also need to translate the entire list on the Italian page.

Now that I look at that item, I am thinking that maybe we should remove the "speed improvements" item from the list? I already removed "native Full-Screen mode" from the list because, nearly 3 years later than us, OpenOffice and LibreOffice implemented that Mac OS X feature. Their implementation has some obvious bugs, but I am confident they will eventually fix their bugs so it seemed time to retire that item.

We are definitely proud of the speed improvements that we have implemented, but IMHO my existing English wording for that item is tangled and, worse, it links to a page that is filled with tons of detailed time comparisons that isn't localized.

Thoughts?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject:

My French is rustier than I like to admit, and tech vocab was something I learned after I became active here, but I think the following corrections should be made to the French page:

Right under NeoOffice at the top of the page, I believe there should be an s at the end of texte:
Logiciel Mac pour documents textes, tableurs et les présentations

Another spot with English is "Need to bill your customers? Try NeoOffice Invoice" in the dark blue banner. I believe this translates as:
Avoir besoin de facturer aux clients? Essayer NeoOffice Invoice.

In the first paragraph under the dark blue banner, I believe that
Quote:
la plupart de Microsoft Word, Excel et PowerPoint documents.
should be
Quote:
la plupart des documents Microsoft Word, Excel et PowerPoint.

Adjectives usually follow the noun in French, and this was the pattern with "des documents OpenOffice" earlier in the sentence. Note as well the s on "des" after "plupart."

The English sentence Smoky points out has too much tech vocab for me to be able to provide a reliable translation. Hopefully one of our true francophones can help us out! (And correct me if I'm wrong above)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
We are definitely proud of the speed improvements that we have implemented, but IMHO my existing English wording for that item is tangled and, worse, it links to a page that is filled with tons of detailed time comparisons that isn't localized.

Indeed, the page shows that NeoOffice still has a significant advantage (often it's twice as fast) thanks to all the work that you've done—but sometimes it's 2 seconds instead of 4, and I don't know how noticeable a difference is under 5 seconds or so.

If we were to localize the performance comparison page, I also don't know a good way to make it easy for narf to update that table without doubling/tripling/etc the work. The best I can think of is something like 1 template per row, which is still very cumbersome Sad

In light of all of that, I think if you're leaning towards removing that bullet point, then that's probably best.

Smokey

P.S. I'm feeling particularly sleepy this afternoon; I guess that's how I missed the other translation issues Lorinda found Smile

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda,

Thank you for catching our French errors. Using "le plupart des documents" makes much more sense to me as Spanish uses very similar syntax.

I also hid the NeoOffice Invoice link. It only supports English and adding it to the non-English pages was definitely a mistake on my part. I did save your translations though in case we ever localize that app.

Smokey,

The "speed improvements" item in the feature list has been removed. We will definitely continue to update the existing NeoWiki article before each new version is released. I think it is a good thing for us to confirm that the latest code changes don't cause any unanticipated slowdowns before we release a new version.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject:

You're welcome. I found myself wishing jgd was still around. Bittersweet memories. But it's nice to be able to help out again a little.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
You're welcome. I found myself wishing jgd was still around. Bittersweet memories. But it's nice to be able to help out again a little.

It was nice to hear from you and Smokey today. It also reminded me of those chaotic and sometimes overwhelming few years. What really surprised me was that it was 6 years ago that we met jgd in person while in Europe for our little speaking event in Milan. It sure doesn't seem that long ago. Sad

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
You're welcome. I found myself wishing jgd was still around. Bittersweet memories.

Indeed Sad I thought of her this weekend when I looked up her tutorial for alternating row coloring in Calc in the wiki again. She knew (or learned) so much about using NeoOffice, and I am so grateful she shared her knowledge and time with us and that some of it (and her) lives on in the wiki.

Lorinda wrote:
But it's nice to be able to help out again a little.

Yes. I still check the forum daily, but usually by the time I do, Patrick has already answered any new posts Smile

Those early years were quite the ride, and it was amazing to watch NeoOffice take shape, but the quieter environment is in some ways a great relief, too Smile

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject:

I have submitted NeoOffice 2013.3 to Apple's Mac App Store reviewers and when that version gets approved, the tranlations on our home page will also be in the Mac App Store.

I also translated the top half of the following pages since the support link for our Mac App Store entry points to these pages:Like my home page translations, I assume that my translations sound like a non-native speaker, but my hope is that the translations give non-English speakers enough information know that our Mac App Store versions are installed in a different location if you already have a non-Mac App Store version of NeoOffice already installed.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject:

Some corrections in the French version. I've noted the changes in bold or strikethrough below:

Par défaut, l'application App Store d'Apple [s]va[/s] installe NeoOffice dans le dossier Applications. Toutefois, si vous avez déjà une version différente de NeoOffice installé dans le dossier Applications, l'application App Store d'Apple [s]va[/s] installe NeoOffice 2013.2 dans un nouveau dossier Applications / NeoOffice comme indiqué dans la capture d'écran à droite.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda,

Thank you for the corrections. I have pushed your corrections to the main website. Also, I updated all of the other languages to use present tense instead of future tense for the "Apple's Mac App Store installs..." phrases.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject:

The Dutch translation was a terrible mess, I'm afraid. I've copied the text into a writer document and edited it into decent Dutch.

Sorry that I too so long. Life's been kinda busy.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
The Dutch translation was a terrible mess, I'm afraid. I've copied the text into a writer document and edited it into decent Dutch.

Sorry that I too so long. Life's been kinda busy.

Thank you for correcting my very poor Dutch translations. I am assume that they were painful to read. Embarassed

I have pushed your translations to the main website and also to the Mac App Store. I also want to say that it is a good learning experience for me to see where my translations attempts failed. I struggle with word order, conjunctions, and prepositions in every non-English language and I tend to use too many false cognates. Sad

One question: if you open the App Store on Mac OS X using this link, do you see Dutch in the NeoOffice 2013.3 app description?:

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject:

Yes, I do see it, and it seems to be equal to the previous translation. So maybe put submit the new version there as well.

On that note, I made a small error (comma too much in second sentence), and I think I'd like to add a word ('read, make and edit' instead of 'make and edit'). In the opening segment:

"NeoOffice is een compleet pakket kantoorsoftware voor Mac OS X. Met NeoOffice kunnen gebruikers tekstdocumenten, werkbladen en presentaties lezen, maken en bewerken"

Its nice to know that you are learning from this. Dutch is actually fairly irregular. I can only speculate why this is, but something like Spanish is so much easier to learn. So don't let the mistakes get you down. Important to know is that infinitives (to learn - leren) and plural present (learn - leren) function pretty much the same as in English.

Of course, I have to learn Finnish now, which has the benefit of being very regular and the downside of having hideously complicated grammer...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2