· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Recurring crash
Recurring crash

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the explanation. What I have found with these Open dialogs is that they don't actually let you open any of the files on show. They let you navigate, but the 'Open' button remains unusable. ``is that because they are waiting for me to find for each dialog the file to which it relates?
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
Thank you for the explanation. What I have found with these Open dialogs is that they don't actually let you open any of the files on show. They let you navigate, but the 'Open' button remains unusable. ``is that because they are waiting for me to find for each dialog the file to which it relates?

The Open dialogs that are displayed to obtain access from Apple's app sandbox are actually set to select only folders. There is no way to programmatically set the selected file in the Open dialog while running in the app sandbox but I can set the selected folder. If you press the OK, Apple's app sandbox will grant access to the entire folder and its subfolders.

It is too bad that Apple didn't create a separate dialog for this type of operation, but then I doubt they were worried about complex documentslike ODF and Microsoft Office documents that can have links to other files.

In any case, the best approach is for me to have NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice code avoid the need to display the Open dialog where I can. Fortunately, your Dropbox issue was posted at a good time. Since I have figured out how to handle iCloud Drive's moving and deleting of files, I have a high confidence that I can get our code to handle Dropbox's moving and renaming as well.

I'll post a test patch when I have something for you to try. Hopefully it will be in the next week.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject:

I think that I have found a way to stop the display of the native Open dialogs when you have a Dropbox document open in NeoOffice and that document is saved, moved, or renamed on another machine.

The following test patches include fixes for the Dropbox issues that I found. Hopefully, it also suppresses the native Open dialogs that you saw as well.

From the attachments that you posted, I believe that what you saw was the following:

1. "140909 dss & mmw grp agendas.doc" was saved on another machine while you had it open in NeoOffice

2. That save caused Dropbox on your machine to move the copy of the document that you had open into a "140909" subfolder and when you tried to save, that is when you saw the native Open dialogs

One thing that I found was that in cases like yours, Dropbox did successfully save my documents even if I cancelled all of the native Open dialogs. However, Dropbox saved it to a new document with "conflicted" or similar wording in its name in the same folder as the original document. Do you have any such documents?

NeoOffice 2014.2:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.2-Test-8-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 2014.2 Free Edition:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.2_Free_Edition-Test-8-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject:

Thanks for this Patrick. I delved a bit more in the light of your comments, and have found the 'conflicted' document saved by DropBox, its creation date is 15.35 on the day I experienced the crash - about 5 hours before it actually happened. I think what happened at about that time was that I created the 140909 folder (to hold all my documents for a meeting), and I guess something I did a round creating that folder and putting the files into it triggered the DropBox conflict. I guess that it was 'dormant' then as far as I was concerned until some action on my part (attempting to save, maybe?) triggered the conflict that caused the crash. Both documents appear to have been edited on the following day, so I can't tell much more about the individual steps at the time. I have now accessed DropBox online, and was able to find the version saved at around 20.31 or 20.32 with the work which I lost on the crash and had to recreate. (I will remember this as a possible recovery strategy if it happens again).

This is just guesswork now, but I may have hit 'Save' before I went out at 20.31 or 20.32 (the conflict being in existence but not having shown itself at that point), and when I returned 20 minutes later I encountered the results of that conflict as NO attempted to save the file I was working on which no longer had the same name, it having been changed by DropBox to manage the conflict. Does that sound likely?

I will install the patch and keep you posted.

James

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
This is just guesswork now, but I may have hit 'Save' before I went out at 20.31 or 20.32 (the conflict being in existence but not having shown itself at that point), and when I returned 20 minutes later I encountered the results of that conflict as NO attempted to save the file I was working on which no longer had the same name, it having been changed by DropBox to manage the conflict. Does that sound likely?

Yes. This sounds very likely. When the same Dropbox document is open on 2 or more machines, saving the document on one machine causes the document to be renamed on the other machines. It is this renaming that triggered the native Open dialogs that you saw.

Fortunately, when this happens in Dropbox, the native Open dialogs were unnecessary and, as you found, NeoOffice was able to save the file to the new path that Dropbox had moved the document to.

This also confirms that you did not experience a crash but, as indicated in your attachments, NeoOffice's Quit menu had been triggered and exited normally after you saved. The heart of the problem was that you did not know that Dropbox had told NeoOffice to save the document to a new, unexpected path.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for this bug in NeoOffice 2014.3 which is available in Apple's Mac App Store.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for this.

FYI, I think I encountered again, just yesterday, the issue of a document changed in Dropbox by someone else while it was open on my machine, and NeoOffice dealt with it tidily. I have not encountered again the behaviour which looked like a crash (but wasn't). So it looks as though the patch is doing its job.

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2