· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Recurring crash
Recurring crash

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Recurring crash

I am experiencing a regular crash with NeoOffice from the App store to the extent that it has become alms unusable. I have tried deleting the preference files but it seems to have made no difference.

I open NO and i comes up with the recovery dialog. It doesn't matter whether I choose 'Start recovery' or 'Cancel' I click away from the document to work on an app on mother monitor, while I am doing that, the NO document closes, and the 'Open' dialog appears, but only folders are selectable in it. I click 'Cancel' and sometimes the 'Open' dialog reappears several times then NO quits. Next time I click its icon in the doc, it bounces once and nothing happens. Then when I click it another time NO appears to start up normally only to do the same thing again.

I attach a log

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject:

I encountered the same crashing bug over the weekend while doing iCloud Drive testing on OS X Yosemite. I posted test patches in this post. Does NeoOffice still crash after installing one of the test patches in that post?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

Thank you for that very prompt response.

As far as I can tell this seems to have fixed the problem. FYI, your reference to iCloud alerts me to the fact that the documents in question were in DropBox, as is much of my regular work these days.

James

PS It also seems to have resolved a problem with the facility to rename/move documents from the title bar which I don't use much, but which had been rather flaky with DropBox.

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
As far as I can tell this seems to have fixed the problem. FYI, your reference to iCloud alerts me to the fact that the documents in question were in DropBox, as is much of my regular work these days.

Thank you for testing my fix.

While I found the bug while working with iCloud Drive files, I think that could occur for any type of files as the bug. I think this is a serious enough bug - a reviewer in the Canada Mac App Store sounds like they are seeing the same bug - so this week I will submit NeoOffice 2014.3 to Apple and stage NeoOffice 3.4.1 Patch 8.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject:

I am sorry to report that I have again encountered the behaviour reported in my OP. I had about ten documents open at the time, some of which had been open for over 24 hours. Unfortunately it did also involve loss of data. Choosing 'Browse all versions' from the file menu brought up the usual screen, but several earlier versions were unable to be opened.
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Do you have a crash log that I can look at? The bug that I fixed was a pretty clear cut bug so you might have found a different bug.

As for old versions missing, are you saving on a local volume, a shared volume, or to a third party service like DropBox? I ask this because OS X Versions does have some limitations when using DropBox volume or some shared volume types. Specifically, what I have found is that you will only see the versions that you saved on the local machine in the OS X versions browsers. This is because OS X Versions saves all versions files locally, not on the shared volume itself.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject:

No, unfortunately. Nothing at all. I can't recall when I last had a crash which produced nothing (User diagnostic log, crash log etc.) to show for it.
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:

There might be a copy of the crash log that you can retrieve using the following steps:

1. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Console application and select System Log Queries :: All Messages item in the left panel.

2. Type "soffice.bin" in the Search box and look for any messages around the time of the crash

3. Hopefully, one of the messages will have an attachment icon and pressing that icon will show the crash log for that crash

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject:

There are three messages which look like this

Quote:
08/09/2014 20:55:00.224 soffice.bin[13684]: view service marshal for <NSRemoteView> failed to forget accessibility connection due to Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "Couldn’t communicate with a helper application." (The connection was invalidated from this process.) UserInfo=0x608003262900 {NSDebugDescription=The connection was invalidated from this process.}
timestamp: 20:55:00.224 Monday 08 September 2014
process/thread/queue: soffice.bin (13684) / 0x122c9c000 / com.apple.NSXPCConnection.user.endpoint
code: line 2972 of /SourceCache/ViewBridge/ViewBridge-46.2/NSRemoteView.m in __57-[NSRemoteView viewServiceMarshalProxy:withErrorHandler:]_block_invoke
domain: communications-failure

There are six earlier messages which look like this:
Quote:
08/09/2014 20:31:55.435 sandboxd[88]: ([11915]) soffice.bin(11915) deny file-read-data /Users/jamesrichards/Documents/Dropbox/Admin/Deanery/Deanery Synod Standing Committee/2014 DSS Comm/140909/140909 dss & mmw grp agendas.doc
each has an attachment which comes up when I click 'Full report', three of which and which I am attaching to this post
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject:

…and here are the other three
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the Console messages and attachments.

What I see during the 6 attachments is that you were quitting NeoOffice and NeoOffice displayed the "Save/Discard/Cancel" dialog for the "140909 dss & mmw grp agendas.doc" file that you were editing.

Did the crash occur immediately after pressing one of those dialog buttons? Or did the crash not occur until after 2 Console messages appeared nearly 20 minutes later.

If it helps, the 6 attachments have a timestamp roughly 30 minutes before your first post today and the 2 Console messages were logged roughly 10 minutes before your first post today.

Does any of the above help you remember what you were doing immediately before the crash?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject:

OK. I was working with NeoOffice until about 20.31 when I went off in a rush to collect my wife from the station (I think when I last glanced at the clock in the menubar when I got up from my desk it showed 20.32. I didn't quit NO or save anything Sad at that point but left everything open as I hadn't finished what I was doing.

I returned to my desk about 20+ minutes later, and thought I was just going to finish off what I had been doing when the crash happened with the repeated display of the 'Open file' dialog, and then the crash. I wasn't attempting to do anything special to the document as far as I can recall, just carrying on editing it.

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject:

I am confused. You say that you didn't quit and then saw the Open dialogs (more questions about those below) only when you got back. The attachments clearly show that NeoOffice's Quit menu handler had been invoked. That doesn't necessarily mean you invoked it (e.g. the Apple :: Logout menu triggers the Quit menu handler), but I am confused as to whether you pressed the Cancel button in the "Save/Discard/Cancel" before you left.

I ask this because if you didn't press the Cancel button (or even see the "Save/Discard/Cancel" button, then I suspect that what you saw as a crash when you got back was actually a continuation of the normal quit operation that started before you left. That would explain why there was no crash log or Console messages.

As for the Open dialogs, it does seem strange that you had all of the Console message attachments and the Open dialogs appeared during the quit operation. That usually indicates that you have never opened the document from the Finder but it appears that you had successfully opened the document. The only case where I would expect you to open a document and then see Open dialogs when closing the window is if the "140909 dss & mmw grp agendas.doc" file (the one that is triggering the Open dialogs) is a linked document within a different document that you had opened.

Did the above case apply to your situation? If not, I am very interested in finding out what would cause OS X revoked read and write access to the "140909 dss & mmw grp agendas.doc" file after OS X previously allowed NeoOffice to open it. In other words, I am wondering if Apple's app sandbox is forgetting NeoOffice's file access permissions.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject:

I think I'll have to wait and se if the crash happens again to give you a proper answer to these questions. I was very tired last night, and my only proper recollection is that at about 8.55 I came to a document that I thought was open and active, and when I began to work on it, NO quit, and in the process showed me a handful of open file dialogs but without it being possible to open anything.

My gut feeling is that it is related to having multiple windows open for a long period of time. I have also started using two monitors, but my feeling is that may only be a coincidence.

Now it's happened again I will be on the alert for it, and if it happens again I'll try and be clearer about the steps which have led to it, so I can give you better information.

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
....and in the process showed me a handful of open file dialogs but without it being possible to open anything.

The Open dialogs is the way you give NeoOffice permission to read and write files within a folder when running with Apple's app sandbox. By canceling all of them, you basically told OS X that you do not want NeoOffice to read or write files in that document's folder. After cancelling, NeoOffice would be unable to save to the file but NeoOffice would not cancel the Quit operation.

Normally, you would never see this Open dialog when you save a document that you had successfully opened. However, I did some testing with Dropbox and found that Dropbox will move documents when the document is saved or renamed on another machine. These moves by Dropbox tells NeoOffice to save your file to a new location that Apple's app sandbox has not given permission to save to.

I know many users find these Open dialogs strange but it is part of Apple's strategy to limit applications from accessing files without the user's knowledge. In other words, it is one of their protections against malware.

The problem is that Dropbox does not behave very well with sandboxed. I can't change Dropbox's behavior, but what I might be able to do is detect when Dropbox has moved a file and force NeoOffice to save to the original file if Apple's app sandbox won't allow access to the moved file.

I used this approach (or display a Save As dialog) when iCloud Drive moves or deletes files so I might be able to adapt that code to work with Dropbox.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2