Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Treatment of Empty Cells in Base Queries
Treatment of Empty Cells in Base Queries

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Treatment of Empty Cells in Base Queries

I have a Base document that uses an .ods spreadsheet as its data source. One field either contains 'Y', '#' or is empty. Before NeoOffice 3.4.1 Patch 13 querying for records where the field did not contain 'Y' would return records where the field contained '#' or was empty. From Patch 13 and onwards the same query only returns records where the field contains '#' and fails to match empty fields.

In note from the release notes of Patch 13 that:
    When querying for null values in spreadsheet data sources, empty cells would be treated as if they were not null

Is what I am seeing an unintended side effect of this change, or is it what is supposed to happen?

In theory I should be able to query for fields which contain either '#' OR are empty, but unfortunately the built in database engine that is used for spreadsheet data sources cannot cope with NULL as a search criteria and querying for fields which contain the empty string '' returns no matches, despite there being empty fields in the data base.

I attach a very simple spreadsheet sand also the associated database file.

If the database does not work:
    Create a new one with File - New - Database.
    Then select Connect to an existing database and choose Spreadsheet in the drop down menu.
    Click Next
    Click Browse and locate the Spreadsheet file
    Click Next
    Click Finish
    Select Queries on left hand side of Database window
    Click Create Query in SQL View...
    Paste in the following:
    Code:
    SELECT "Field 1", "Field 2", "Field 3" FROM "Sheet1" AS "Sheet1" WHERE "Field 2" <> 'Y'

Close the window and save the Query
    Double click on the Query and observe that only one record is shown in which Field 2 is neither 'Y' or Empty.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Treatment of Empty Cells in Base Queries

amayze wrote:
    When querying for null values in spreadsheet data sources, empty cells would be treated as if they were not null

Is what I am seeing an unintended side effect of this change, or is it what is supposed to happen?

You are correct. What you are seeing is a result of backporting OpenOffice's treatment of empty spreadsheet cells.

So, to select empty cells from a spreadsheet in Base, you need to add "<fieldname> IS NULL" to your SQL statement like below:

Code:
SELECT "Field 1", "Field 2", "Field 3" FROM "Sheet1" AS "Sheet1" WHERE "Field 2" <> 'Y' OR "Field 2" IS NULL

Does the above SQL statement work for you?

Also, if you want to exclude empty cells from your query, you can add "<fieldname> IS NOT NULL" to your SQL statement link below:

Code:
SELECT "Field 1", "Field 2", "Field 3" FROM "Sheet1" AS "Sheet1" WHERE "Field 2" <> 'Y' AND "Field 2" IS NOT NULL

Essentially, that is the result that you got with your original query.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Treatment of Empty Cells in Base Queries

pluby wrote:
amayze wrote:

You are correct. What you are seeing is a result of backporting OpenOffice's treatment of empty spreadsheet cells.

So, to select empty cells from a spreadsheet in Base, you need to add "<fieldname> IS NULL" to your SQL statement like below:

Code:
SELECT "Field 1", "Field 2", "Field 3" FROM "Sheet1" AS "Sheet1" WHERE "Field 2" <> 'Y' OR "Field 2" IS NULL

Does the above SQL statement work for you?

Ah! I was missing out the 'IS'. Using design view you need to include the operator unless it is '=' when it is assumed and added by NeoOffice, however entering 'EMPTY', which is then changed to 'NULL' in the SQL produces bad SQL as '= NULL' is not valid syntax, however now I've entered 'IS EMPTY' the SQL is correct and the query runs.

So now the query above returns records in which the value of Field 2 is not 'Y' or is empty, which is what I want.

Thanks for the quick response Patrick. I will now go back and install the latest patch to NeoOffice 3.4.1 and update the query in my real database.

Cheers,

Andy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1