Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Post patch 7 issues (since bugzilla is down)
Post patch 7 issues (since bugzilla is down)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Post patch 7 issues (since bugzilla is down)

OK, here goes. I had over a day of testing with the Patch 6 and checked if this was fixed in Patch 7 (with one exception).

Things that seem to be NeoOffice/J specific:

Stylist window behaviour:
Right now, I click on the stylist button (in the toolbar). I choose a style, continue editing and have to switch windows, or turn off and on the stylist to get it back. I suggest the following change in window behaviour when the button is pressed:

#1 Check if the Stylist window is already open
* If True:
#2 Check if Stylist is the most forward window.
* If False: Bring to front.
* If True: Close Stylist window.
* If False: Open the Stylist window

Paragraph background colour:
If the button on the toolbar for Paragraph background is pressed, a small colourpicker pops up. Buttons like Font colour and Text background have different behaviour: If clicked briefly, they chance color to the current preset. If clicked for a longer time, the colourpicker pops up. From what I can see, Paragraph background should have the same behaviour.

Draggin tabs in Calc:
If I drag a tab in Calc, NeoOffice makes a copy of that sheet instead of changing the order of the tabs. On the plus side, at least now I can actually drag something Smile.

Keyboard buffer:
When using PgUp and PgDown, and holding the button down, the buffer fills up really quickly and it scrolls up or down per keypress. This takes a long time. Preferred behaviour would be to take a number of consecutive PgUp and PgDown (or Up and Down) together, recalculate where you end up and then redraw at that point. This would save a lot of time and keep me from pressing the key for too long, thereby missing my target Smile.

PDF export:
I have a document which used to be a WP10 file, which was converted to an HTML file in WP and then loaded into NeoOffice/J and exported as a Document. I then made PDFs using both 'export directly' and by choosing save as PDF in the Print menu. Then I loaded them in Acrobat 6.

Using direct export PDF I got a file which apparently didn't have the Book Antigua and Arial fonts embedded. Acrobat said it couldn't find a font (which is obviously on my system) and had to replace it with Helvetica. It looks like everything was replaced with Helvetica but I can't be sure about the sections in Arial.
It couldn't display any formatting characteristics either (like italic sections, these were just standard) and the glyphs were spaced awfully. Nothing in the document can be selected as text and if I save it, Acrobat notes someting about JBIG2 images in the status bar (and my documents doesn't have images).
Also, in making the direct export, the mouse pointer looked weird, switching from normal to watch about twice per second. On the plus side, the resulting document was quite small (only 500 KB after saving again from Acrobat, which was only slightly bigger than the PDF I made from the original WP10 file in WP).

Using Print | Save as PDF gave me a working document, but that one was 1.3 MB in size. This seems to be more than strictly necessary for a 65 page text file with a number of tables. Saving in Acrobat took 20 minutes as it was slowly replacing fonts (and making the file 100KB bigger in the process).

Things that are probably OpenOffice.org bugs:

Find/Replace:
After a replace, the old text is still there when NeoOffice asks if you want to search further. This makes one feel uncertain if the change actually happened. I'd prefer the redraw before that request window.

Toolbars:
LTR/RTL buttons keep returning, even when I turn them off in the 'configure menu' (which doesn't help) and then use the context menu to remove them manually (which works until I restart the app).

Tables & Columns:
I still have problems with tables that area spread out over two columns. Sometimes it just starts the table in the second column, messing up the document lay-out. It is easily corrected by putting a line feed before the table (which triggers a repositioning) and then taking it away again. But it should be fine on loading.

Table padding:
When I change the positioning (Centered or something) of a table or set it to repeat header rows, the padding info is sometimes junked. I didn't check this bug after Patch 7.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: testcases

Patrick, if you want the source and PDF documents for a testcase, let me know. I have a 100KB source, a 500KB PDF and a 1.3MB PDF which I can send you in an archive.

Good luck,
Oscar

P.S. I am happy to report that the menus seem to be faster as of Patch 6. Good show! As of Patch 7, I can also use all of the pull-down menus again Smile.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Post patch 7 issues (since bugzilla is down)

ovvldc wrote:
Stylist window behaviour:
Right now, I click on the stylist button (in the toolbar). I choose a style, continue editing and have to switch windows, or turn off and on the stylist to get it back. I suggest the following change in window behaviour when the button is pressed:

#1 Check if the Stylist window is already open
* If True:
#2 Check if Stylist is the most forward window.
* If False: Bring to front.
* If True: Close Stylist window.
* If False: Open the Stylist window

Paragraph background colour:
If the button on the toolbar for Paragraph background is pressed, a small colourpicker pops up. Buttons like Font colour and Text background have different behaviour: If clicked briefly, they chance color to the current preset. If clicked for a longer time, the colourpicker pops up. From what I can see, Paragraph background should have the same behaviour.

Both of these are expected OOo application behaviors. This is in a completely separate area of the code (about 100 MB worth) which Sun employees several dozen engineers to work. So, I have no plans to touch these.

ovvldc wrote:
[Draggin tabs in Calc:
If I drag a tab in Calc, NeoOffice makes a copy of that sheet instead of changing the order of the tabs. On the plus side, at least now I can actually drag something Smile.

This is a real bug that I will take a look at. today.

ovvldc wrote:
Keyboard buffer:
When using PgUp and PgDown, and holding the button down, the buffer fills up really quickly and it scrolls up or down per keypress. This takes a long time. Preferred behaviour would be to take a number of consecutive PgUp and PgDown (or Up and Down) together, recalculate where you end up and then redraw at that point. This would save a lot of time and keep me from pressing the key for too long, thereby missing my target Smile.

This is standard OOo application behavior so it won't change.

ovvldc wrote:
PDF export:
I have a document which used to be a WP10 file, which was converted to an HTML file in WP and then loaded into NeoOffice/J and exported as a Document. I then made PDFs using both 'export directly' and by choosing save as PDF in the Print menu. Then I loaded them in Acrobat 6.

Using direct export PDF I got a file which apparently didn't have the Book Antigua and Arial fonts embedded. Acrobat said it couldn't find a font (which is obviously on my system) and had to replace it with Helvetica. It looks like everything was replaced with Helvetica but I can't be sure about the sections in Arial.
It couldn't display any formatting characteristics either (like italic sections, these were just standard) and the glyphs were spaced awfully. Nothing in the document can be selected as text and if I save it, Acrobat notes someting about JBIG2 images in the status bar (and my documents doesn't have images).
Also, in making the direct export, the mouse pointer looked weird, switching from normal to watch about twice per second. On the plus side, the resulting document was quite small (only 500 KB after saving again from Acrobat, which was only slightly bigger than the PDF I made from the original WP10 file in WP).

Can you send me the document at patrick dot luby at planamesa dot com?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Post patch 7 issues (since bugzilla is down)

ovvldc wrote:
[Draggin tabs in Calc:

This is now fixed in "Patch-8" which I just posted.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Post patch 7 issues (since bugzilla is down)

ovvldc wrote:
Things that are probably OpenOffice.org bugs:

Toolbars:
LTR/RTL buttons keep returning, even when I turn them off in the 'configure menu' (which doesn't help) and then use the context menu to remove them manually (which works until I restart the app).

Yeah, that's an OOo bug. I have the problem in OOo where those buttons keep *disappearing* all the time (and I can't make them return), which is annoying because I do RTL work! Smile

At one point I thought I had narrowed down the issue, but no luck. Thankfully I've never had RTL/LTR button issues in Neo/J Smile

Smokey
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1