Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - More Wiki Thoughts...
More Wiki Thoughts...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: More Wiki Thoughts...

I did some work on the wiki this week. Unfortunately, the wiki template just plain sucks-- it's got a broken image in it and everything.

I read somewhere that whoever was running this was going to update it... is this still in the cards?

It's at "NeoWiki" on the left menu (or for the extremely lazy, http://sixthcrusade.com/neowiki/index.php?page=NeoWiki )

W

edit: fixed the URL so the close parenthasis wasn't included.
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Another thought--

There is some good stuff available FAQ-wise here at the neooffice site. Then there's a Neooffice/J FAQ here.

It seems odd to have three places (multiple places if you include the language translations + various locations on the wiki) for the FAQ... could the FAQ be migrated to the wiki and then deleted off the neooffice site (or vice-versa)?

Moving everything to one place seems to make the most sense to me.
W
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject:

i am still updating the template. the thing is i am trying to update it along with the neooffice site and we are still discussing layout an things...

though i am greatful for your help, i took a look at it isn't correct. NeoOffice/C is pretty much in stasis at the moment, so shouldn't be advertised (except to developers). The Wiki should be Neo/J biased for now. I am thinking that most of the front should lead to Neo/J stuff, but that is still being worked on i suppose.

though the FAQ is a good point, that was my plan to move it to the Wiki, but hadn't discussed it with Patrick and Ed yet.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
NeoOffice/C is pretty much in stasis at the moment, so shouldn't be advertised (except to developers). The Wiki should be Neo/J biased for now. I am thinking that most of the front should lead to Neo/J stuff, but that is still being worked on i suppose.

I think if we take out the table and move the descriptor lines from there under the Neo/J and Neo headers, then the front page will look pretty good. I think we have most of the content there that we want/need to get started with integrating the wiki fully into the Neo web. There are still a few things to do content/structure-wise, but mostly it's ready.

Waldo, was the only OOo link (besides to the OOo description) to how to report OOo bugs?

jakeOSX wrote:
though the FAQ is a good point, that was my plan to move it to the Wiki, but hadn't discussed it with Patrick and Ed yet.

For "professional" reasons they Ed and Patrick might want to maintain very small faqs on their own sites with links to the wiki FAQ--depending, I suppose, on how successful you are in replicating the Neo look on the wiki (this is just my idle, unprompted speculation; don't read anything into it). But it is my hope that the FAQ could really go into the Wiki so that we can update it continually and Patrick and Ed could spend that time coding.... Smile

Smokey
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
though i am greatful for your help, i took a look at it isn't correct. NeoOffice/C is pretty much in stasis at the moment, so shouldn't be advertised (except to developers). The Wiki should be Neo/J biased for now. I am thinking that most of the front should lead to Neo/J stuff, but that is still being worked on i suppose.

I'm not sure what you mean by this-- I've eliminated as many references to regular Neo as I could, seperated it out from Neo/J on the main page, marked it as legacy and no longer developed or supported, and created a page specifically to explain that it's no longer being worked on (and why).

I'm more than happy to eliminate ANY reference to regular old Neooffice, although if ed or patrick or someone decrees a name change from Neo/J (and I strongly think it should be renamed for numerous reasons), we will need to go back and revise it.

Ed-- since I'm sure you'll get around to reading this eventually-- I think that any name change that occurs should be done sooner rather than later. (1) It will suck to have a ton of documentation and wiki pages referring to a name that is changed. (2) New users are loading Neo/J every day. A name change later on will affect/confuse more people than it will right now.

This is offtopic to this thread, but here are my quick arguments for a quick name change to plain old "NeoOffice" before the beta comes out.

1. Neo/J sounds like a japanese version of NeoOffice.
2. Neo/J doesn't roll off the tongue very easily.
3. Neo/J sounds like some kind of "technical" product.
4. Having two flavors is confusing for new users to choose one.
5. Regular Neo is not being developed any more anyway.

I say just rename old NeoOffice to NeoOffice "C"... "C" for "Cocoa" or "Classic". Or maybe "NeoOffice DE" for "Dead End".

sardisson wrote:
I think if we take out the table and move the descriptor lines from there under the Neo/J and Neo headers, then the front page will look pretty good.

I'll go do that. The table was just so the graphics wouldn't look bad on their own line. The Wiki formatting language sure doesn't give you much flexibility. hhopefully a new Neo/J graphic will be approved soon, we can replace it.

sardisson wrote:
Waldo, was the only OOo link (besides to the OOo description) to how to report OOo bugs?

There were two links. If I'm remembering right, one was about reporting bugs and the other was a placeholder to a non-existent page about OO.o/X11. Since this page didn't exist, and since there was no other content that we really had for the X11 build, and since I was worried about confusion to a newbie who sees all these versions up there, I got rid of the entire category. If we have something to say there, then maybe we can add it, but right now it was just a whole section with no content.

W
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject:

Yeah, the documentation with the name change could be kind of a pain. It might be possible to come up with a grep styel replacement on the wiki and changing the forum names here will be quick.

Since the /J isn't going to be going anywhere until 2.0 at least, do you think moving the "/C" onto the old one would help eliminate the confusion?

Although the J for japanese is kind of unfortunate based on past Mac app naming conventions, the good thing is that NeoJ does at least work in Japanese Wink It's actually gaining a decent bit of traction there now that RTL and vertical text are in.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
sardisson wrote:

There were two links. If I'm remembering right, one was about reporting bugs and the other was a placeholder to a non-existent page about OO.o/X11. Since this page didn't exist, and since there was no other content that we really had for the X11 build, and since I was worried about confusion to a newbie who sees all these versions up there, I got rid of the entire category. If we have something to say there, then maybe we can add it, but right now it was just a whole section with no content.

I figured that was the case and that's why you did it, but I just wanted to make sure (I suppose there's got to be some way to massage that Document History to show a particular old version so I don't have to ask...ah, found it).

Anyway, since the majority of the content (now) is on Neo/J and X11 was the stepsister even when Neo had the majority of the content, I think it's fine to move X11 to the sidelines (it's still present in the History and What Should I Use, which seems good enough).

Smokey
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Since the /J isn't going to be going anywhere until 2.0 at least, do you think moving the "/C" onto the old one would help eliminate the confusion?d

I'm all for moving NeoOffice -> NeoOffice/C. I think that would be a first step towards a 2.0 release of a real un-caveated neoffice down the road.

Say the word and I'll go through the Wiki Pages and fix it there. If anyone ever asks what happened to plain-old-neooffice I'll stare at them unblinkingly and stay in a calm steady voice, "What NeoOffice? I don't know what your'e talking about. There is only NeoOffice/J and NeoOffice/C. You must be wrong, friend. That's all there ever was."

W
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject:

NeoOffice is the product name, Neo/J or Neo/C are version names...

everyone keep in mind that the wiki isn't (or won't be, i should say) a separate page, but rather part of the neooffice.org site.
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
NeoOffice is the product name, Neo/J or Neo/C are version names...

I updated the wiki to reflect the name change to Neo/C.. Take a look and make any revisions...

jakeOSX wrote:
Everyone keep in mind that the wiki isn't (or won't be, i should say) a separate page, but rather part of the neooffice.org site.

Great. When's that happenin'?

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject:

Waldo and I have been busy in recent days on the wiki. Smile

Tonight I finally broke up the history article into 5 separate pages and I added Ed's OOo/X11 and Neo screenshots and my Neo/J ones. If the nav system is not clear, then we need to preface the links with 1- or I. (as in 1-Introduction, 2-History of...), but I think it's pretty clear.

There are still more tidbits of info I want to put in the article (from JKT's links and the collection I posted shortly after that--this was in some thread a couple of weeks ago), and we still need the timeline, but all in all, we're in good shape content-wise.

Smokey
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:

Great. When's that happenin'?

W

it's all about the benjemin's baby
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm rushed off my feet at the moment so don't have the time (or the wiki know-how even) to add the following to the tips and hints section but I think they should be there:

1. How to install and use better icons

2. How to substitute the font in the UI for something that looks better.

3. How to make the default background a different grey or colour all together (makes a big difference to the way it makes the app feel IMO). If you don't know this one, go to Options>Appearance>Application background and choose a different grey/colour (I prefer and use Grey 10%). This makes the blank areas in a window look far, far less Win95.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject:

They would go here

http://sixthcrusade.com/neowiki/index.php?page=NeoJTipsAndHints

Do you know how to do this stuff? Write the text and I'll put it in the wiki.

W

JKT wrote:
I'm rushed off my feet at the moment so don't have the time (or the wiki know-how even) to add the following to the tips and hints section but I think they should be there:

1. How to install and use better icons

3. How to make the default background a different grey or colour all together (makes a big difference to the way it makes the app feel IMO). If you don't know this one, go to Options>Appearance>Application background and choose a different grey/colour (I prefer and use Grey 10%). This makes the blank areas in a window look far, far less Win95.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject:

JKT wrote:

Go to Menu>Options>NeoOffice/J>Fonts>Replace Andale Sans UI with Lucinda Grande

JKT wrote:

Actually, I do grey 30% to keep the screen from flashing all white. But I think I'll experiment with a calm blue colour.

And best go to Menu>Options>NeoOffice/J>Appearance>Application background Smile.

Ciao,
Oscar
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3