Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - More Wiki Thoughts...
More Wiki Thoughts...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject:

Good suggestions, JKT; I had forgotten about those things after our "look-and-feel summit" pretty much ground to a halt after determing we couldn't easily access most of the things we wanted to change Sad

As for the icons bit, it'll take a bit of re-editing/summarizing work (I don't have time now); info's in this thread (and the one linked from it):
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=699

BUT there's at least one semi-significant bug yet:
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=3683#3683
so it should be acknowledged, too. (And some icon size>fuzziness issues, too.)

Also, JKT has a nice screenshot of different icons and font in this post:
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=4479#4479

Smokey
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject:

The other thing we need to point out in several places on the wiki is that Neo/J has internationalization support for working with documents in dozens of languages and script systems, including East Asian and RTL languages, and is completely localized in a number of languages (six maybe? which ones? English, German, French, Italian?) and partially localized (UI, but not help or dictionaries or etc.) in others.

I don't think we've mentioned this stuff at all in the wiki, which is a real oversight on our part Sad
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject:

So, like..

Will the wiki be in place (with a new template hopefully) by the time the beta is released (planned to be this week I think)?

At the very least could the busted image be repaired by then?

W
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject:

working links!!
images that show up!!

geez! you just want EVERYTHING =)

soon.
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
working links!!
images that show up!!

geez! you just want EVERYTHING =)

soon.

Sorry if I seem impatient... I feel like my parents when I kid.. "We're having guests come over! Gotta clean up the house and make sure everything looks nice and neat..." (as if it's that way all the time.)

Since I expect the beta will be followed by a lot of new guests, I just want to make sure everything is in tip-top ship-shape. Yip. Yop.

Sorry, it's late.
W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Wiki update

Ok, I went through this afternoon and I think I have all the relevant Neo/J info/references updated to reflect the arrival of Beta. Hip hip hooray!

I also added some of the older (Alpha 2) Aquafication/OS X integration developments to the list in the Aquafication section of the Neo/J FAQ.

Still more to do (timeline, extenededPDF--when we have it all cleared up, toolbar icon customizing--when its issues are sorted, too--setting default templates, etc.), but the easy stuff should be up to date Smile

Smokey
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiki update

sardisson wrote:
Ok, I went through this afternoon and I think I have all the relevant Neo/J info/references updated to reflect the arrival of Beta. Hip hip hooray!

I also added some of the older (Alpha 2) Aquafication/OS X integration developments to the list in the Aquafication section of the Neo/J FAQ.

Still more to do (timeline, extenededPDF--when we have it all cleared up, toolbar icon customizing--when its issues are sorted, too--setting default templates, etc.), but the easy stuff should be up to date Smile

Smokey

Cool, thanks!

W
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject:

almost started a new topic... almost.

ok, i am going to attempt to address all wiki/template issues here. so if i forget something let me know.

the image at the top.
yes, the one on the front of the wiki looks nicer, it is almost 8X bigger (roughly) in size. being confined to dial-up as of late, things like that are on my mind more. if someone can make a smaller file sized image, i'll use it, but for now, load time wins.

the links /en/
sorry bout that, changed the main page AFTER i started working on the wiki, should be updated now.

the non-link to Neo/C
this is a non-link because I haven't made the page yet. (perhaps i should just edit the wiki/c page to say what i want...) basically i want it to be a portal to the old Neo.org site with the appropriate "this is on hold/dead" notes. (and i'll probably add something to the top of all the old pages, just incase someone rides the google train in.)

ok, did i miss anything?

-j
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
the image at the top.
yes, the one on the front of the wiki looks nicer, it is almost 8X bigger (roughly) in size. being confined to dial-up as of late, things like that are on my mind more. if someone can make a smaller file sized image, i'll use it, but for now, load time wins.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I'm not on dialup ATM--but I will be when I get back to DC--but a 32K image is hardly going to break the camel's back. I also think consistency in our imagery is important--why are we using one ship/globe image which matches the app icon in some places and another that doesn't match in others, including the homepage for the NeoOffice project(s).

By way of comparison, the header at planamesa is 64K and at trinity is 29K.

However, let's try an eye test--so perhaps one of these will work as long as the wiki remains white:

31,922b; 17,037b; 9,533b

jakeOSX wrote:
the non-link to Neo/C
this is a non-link because I haven't made the page yet. (perhaps i should just edit the wiki/c page to say what i want...) basically i want it to be a portal to the old Neo.org site with the appropriate "this is on hold/dead" notes. (and i'll probably add something to the top of all the old pages, just incase someone rides the google train in.)

Sounds good. As a historian, I hate to see sources of historical info just eliminated, but hidden away with a pointer for those who really want to find it, and a disclaimer when they get there, seems a solid compromise. Just capitalize the "C" when you do Smile

Smokey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject:

64k is huge.

but the thing to remember about those other two sites is that, for the most part, the top is the only image loading, the wiki and front page have others loading as well.

for now they are all remaining white, the 9K one should be acceptable, i'll get that up.

and i agree with consistancy of imagry, which was why i used to CVS photoshop file... maybe GIMP didn't bring it all in or something?

-j
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject:

oops, that was me.

-j
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
64k is huge.

Dan and I did tell Patrick the 32K version was nearly the same quality at half the size (it had been about 12K and pretty poor quality to begin with)....

jakeOSX wrote:
the top is the only image loading, the wiki and front page have others loading as well.

There are other images on the other pages? I've missed them. Smile Edit: Oops, just realized it was the header; I'd been thinking it was some fancy css trick!

jakeOSX wrote:
for now they are all remaining white, the 9K one should be acceptable, i'll get that up.

Looks much better, thanks. I'll edit the other images to point to it so folks will only have to load the image once Smile

jakeOSX wrote:
and i agree with consistancy of imagry, which was why i used to CVS photoshop file... maybe GIMP didn't bring it all in or something?

It's possible the GIMP can't handle the PS layer effect. OTOH, there's a somewhat convoluted process involved to "flatten" the layered file properly to retain the drop shadow. Smile A little image voodoo, so to speak.

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject:

hmm. who knows, i just started using the GIMP. and it has all the things about it that i didn't like about Photoshop too.

yes yes, i know you are suppose to illustrate in illustrator and photoshop in photoshop, but what if you are in photoshop and want to, you know, DRAW A LINE???

ok =) i feel better. i just miss macpaint.

(side note, open source illustrator program? anyone know one?)

JUST WANT TO DRAW A LINE!

speaking of which, you know i've never used the drawing part of OO.o.

i see you are the town crier now, smokey, good, cuz i liked being the only oracle =)
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
yes yes, i know you are suppose to illustrate in illustrator and photoshop in photoshop, but what if you are in photoshop and want to, you know, DRAW A LINE???

Yes, or simply make something transparent. I must have overlooked something.

jakeOSX wrote:
(side note, open source illustrator program? anyone know one?)

you know i've never used the drawing part of OO.o.

I've never used OOdraw either. I am better at text and math than drawing. Would like to learn, though. But I was thinking earlier that it might be a nice project for Sun once they get OpenOffice 2.0 out of the way. Let's face it, a lot of the functionality needed to replace Illustrator or Pagemaker is already present.

jakeOSX wrote:
JUST WANT TO DRAW A LINE!

Take two deep breaths and stretch out your arms all the way to the tips of your fingers. If that doesn't work, have a stiff drink and call me in the morning.

jakeOSX wrote:
i see you are the town crier now, smokey, good, cuz i liked being the only oracle =)

Yeah, after some rather shameless self-plugging Wink.

Ciao,
Oscar
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject:

shameless self plugging? no! not smokey!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3