Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Suggestion for the "patch" download page
Suggestion for the "patch" download page

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Suggestion for the "patch" download page

Hey all,

The patch page implies, but does not explicitly state, that the current patch subsumes all previous versions. I had been running -patch 5 until just now and patch 8 seems to have installed without any problems, so I am assuming that all the changes in patches 6 and 7 get automatigally installed as needed.

Perhaps it would make things clearer to state this outright on the download page.

Thanks for your hard work!!!

Cheers,

Dave
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject:

Yeah, that is a fairly common question among "first-time posters" here, so that's a good idea for when Patrick has a spare minute Smile

Smokey
roberts
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: another feature request: SHA-1 values of the patches?

In addition to "file size", perhaps a SHA-1 could be placed next to the download, as well as on the downloads page.
Paraplegic_Racehorse
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject:

It would also be nice to know if any given patch will also work with a previous release. I.E. I'm using 1.1a, patch 11. I don't really want to download another 100+MB archive to get 1.1b or 1.1final when it gets released. Can I safely upgrade with just patch files?

When I get 1.1final, patch 4 and install it in my 1.1a install, will it change the version number in the About.. dialog to correctly reflect 1.1final (though stick with the build number of 1.1a)?

GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Show patch file size?

The patch download page shows the patch number and file size. Adding the post date would be helpful in knowing whether this is a new patch.

And BTW, the new icon looks great on the web page headers! Cheers,

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Paraplegic_Racehorse wrote:
It would also be nice to know if any given patch will also work with a previous release.

In general the patches are probably not going to be compatible with previous releases. The major releases do actually contain fixes that aren't released in any of the patches, so simply applying all the patches to old versions won't bring up all of the files to the new versions. In order to get all of the bug fixes for beta, particularly ones from the 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 OOo code upgrade, you'll probably need to download the full new dimage.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Ed is correct. The Neo/J 1.1 Beta "Patch 1" will only work if you have Neo/J 1.1 Beta installed. Since Alpha 2 used the OOo 1.1.2 code and Beta used the OOo 1.1.3 code, I could not make a patch that could patch Alpha 2 to Beta.

Patrick
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Show patch file size?

GibHenry wrote:
And BTW, the new icon looks great on the web page headers!

Why, thank you!
Smile

Dan
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject:

Hey folks - briefly back online at Starbucks (and just at the end of my road too so lucky me). I have a comment on the patches page too, as I am not getting internet access very frequently at present, it'd be nice to know what bugs each patch is (meant to be) fixing - mainly because I don't have time to hunt down and check all the new issues in BZ that have appeared since I last logged in a few weeks ago. If it isn't too much effort, perhaps you (Patrick) could add a list (possibly of links) to the relevant bugzilla issues?? and maintain that list as a What's new (e.g. a bit like OmniGroup do with their release notes for their apps).

Obviously, if that is too much of your time, don't even worry about it!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Glad to see you back, even briefly Smile

Waldo and I have been adding the "patch notes" to the Release Notes page in the wiki, at least as much as Patrick posts here or in the patch update list, so you can check that page. (Bugs in fact are not searchable by patch or version fixed/closed in, so trying to use Bugzilla to track is probably an exercise in futility.) We just need Patrick to link to that page rather than maintaining another one on his own Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1