Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta is released!
NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta is released!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Torrent file for Beta download?

sardisson wrote:
Thanks! ATM no one seems interested, but as I said, I'll keep seeding.

Well, news of the release hasn't hit major DDoS-capable sites like macslash and macnn so I wouldn't give up all hope...Wink

ed <--- fears for his bandwidth
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Some things for the weekend....

After running through and updating the wiki, I've been nosing around the web looking for "missing"/out-of-sync things and news now that Beta is here.

A bunch of minor little things I've noticed that can be changed as y'all get a second, or WONTFIXed as appropriate Smile

• The new header on www.planamesa.com/neojava seems to have many compression artifacts, especially noticeable around the "Neo/J" text. These weren't present in the version Dan sent me, and indeed, the planamesa file is 12K compared to 32K in the version I had. If it's not too much of a strain on the bandwidth, the 32K version looks much better Smile

• There's no mention of Beta in the news on www.neooffice.org Smile

• VersionTracker and MacUpdate still have some outdated/missing info in their listings.

• Since Patrick has pretty much excised the "this is a prototype for software developers only" text from all of planamesa/neojava, should the descriptive text at VT and MU be updated, or does that need to hold off until 1.1 Final/GM? (Also, one of the big features of Beta is Aqua menus, yet the text says "no Aquafication going on in Neo/J" Smile)

• VT has the old RAM reqs (256 MB), MU doesn't list any RAM reqs.

• MU has the old ship for the app image; VT has no such image (a Mac OS 9 document!). Let me know what size/format each place needs and I'll do those based on the ship/globe icon (like I did for trinity news stories).

• MU's screenshot (from planamesa/neojava) is from the 0.x series (in-document menus); VT has no screenshot.

• VT folks tend to like a "what's new" list Smile

Anyway, feel free to WONTFIX these or delegate if needed...after you celebrate the past four months of work and the past two weeks of crazy work! Alf mabruk wa alf shukr! [1000 congratulations and 1000 thanks!]

Smokey
[Edit: added the "what's new" comment I forgot earlier]

Last edited by sardisson on Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Torrent file for Beta download?

OPENSTEP wrote:
Well, news of the release hasn't hit major DDoS-capable sites like macslash and macnn so I wouldn't give up all hope...Wink

ed <--- fears for his bandwidth

Heh. Apparently we got trumped by Adobe releasing a version of Acrobat Reader that doesn't completely suck and is a slight improvement from 6.x (although the Camino boards are afire that the new PDF reader plugin only works with Safari and disables Schubert's in non-Safari browsers...). Anyway.

Now that we are Beta, I'm going to post to dev@wp.openoffice.org to let the long-suffering Mac folks on there know we have a solution that reads their WP and WP-Mac documents....

We'll see wha tomorrow brings Smile

Smokey
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
The new header on www.planamesa.com/neojava seems to have many compression artifacts, especially noticeable around the "Neo/J" text. These weren't present in the version Dan sent me, and indeed, the planamesa file is 12K compared to 32K in the version I had. If it's not too much of a strain on the bandwidth, the 32K version looks much better Smile

I just opened the PSD file using Preview and saved it as JPEG. That is probably the cause of the compression. I have resaved the JPEG using "best" quality instead of "medium" quality and pushed it to the website.

sardisson wrote:
Since Patrick has pretty much excised the "this is a prototype for software developers only" text from all of planamesa/neojava, should the descriptive text at VT and MU be updated, or does that need to hold off until 1.1 Final/GM? (Also, one of the big features of Beta is Aqua menus, yet the text says "no Aquafication going on in Neo/J" Smile)

I think it would be good to push our latest text. Feel free to borrow wording from the following URLs: http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/index.php
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/faq.php

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I just opened the PSD file using Preview and saved it as JPEG. That is probably the cause of the compression. I have resaved the JPEG using "best" quality instead of "medium" quality and pushed it to the website.

Ah, I see. Dan had sent me a JPEG as a preview, and I assumed he had sent you the same one along with the PSD. New version looks great!

pluby wrote:
sardisson wrote:
Since Patrick has pretty much excised the "this is a prototype for software developers only" text from all of planamesa/neojava, should the descriptive text at VT and MU be updated

I think it would be good to push our latest text. Feel free to borrow wording from the following URLs: http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/index.php
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/faq.php

I'll put something together for you (I assume only you can submit those changes to MU and VT)--but I think in the morning when I know I can think clearly Smile It's been a long day of Christmas shopping + arrival of Beta Smile

Smokey

(Ooooh, 1 lone downloader on my torrent!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Torrent file for Beta download?

sardisson wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:
Yup, you got the trinity tracker URL correct. I can't connect due to my firewall config here, but I was able to verify that everything is pointing to the tracker just fine and that there's an active seeder.

I also mirrored the torrent file here too:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/torrents/NeoOfficeJ-1.1_Beta.torrent

Thanks! ATM no one seems interested, but as I said, I'll keep seeding.

OPENSTEP wrote:
It's just an alternate URL if for some reason thousands of people grabbing the 9K file hits against your .Mac limit Razz

I certainly hope it doesn't hit the limit Smile The Neo/J screenshots for the wiki (and mentioned on www.neooffice.org, too--thanks again) and the preview image for the OOo screenshot, as well as the updated Neo/J globe image (128x128 version) and header in the wiki are all served from there, too. I'm not safe for /.ing Exclamation

Smokey

Thanks much. I'm using the torrent you posted and will try to seed it whenever I'm online. I wonder if it's possible to have your link on the download page so people know they can use the torrent...might markedly lessen the load on the main servers especially for the major releases.

regds,

Hari

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject:

I agree we should have torrents on the download page along with the direct link.

My torrent is up and seeding, I had already downloaded.

- Andrea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject:

I hope it is okay to post this here.

First of all: Thanks for your great work. I really am very happy to eventually have an alternative to Office. Thanks and thanks again.

Here is my suggestion for the final:

Would it be very hard to rearrange the menu entries now that the whole menubar is a real mac menubar? My primary concern ist that the prefs aren't in the app menu and the there are two "quit" entries. One in the app menu and one in the file menu. The one in the file menu could be eliminated.

Other than that it's some rea great app. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
I hope it is okay to post this here.

First of all: Thanks for your great work. I really am very happy to eventually have an alternative to Office. Thanks and thanks again.

Here is my suggestion for the final:

Would it be very hard to rearrange the menu entries now that the whole menubar is a real mac menubar? My primary concern ist that the prefs aren't in the app menu and the there are two "quit" entries. One in the app menu and one in the file menu. The one in the file menu could be eliminated.

Other than that it's some rea great app. Thanks again!

I agree 100%.

NeoJ is starting to be quite a killer product indeed! It does some things much better than Office:2004 for make does. I have been following it with interest waiting for it to grow to a point where deployment in our corporate environment could actually be studied.

Getting the "à la MacOS" menus is quite a progress in that direction.
I hope too that they could be reworked a bit. The "about menu" is to be added to your list.

The two things my tests users (thanks to them) brought up most often are :
- the open and save dialog
- the way Neo/j quit when closing the document windows (unless you manually select close in the file menu)

Also office document conversion is sometimes lacking :
- graphic (including drag and dropped images from Safari)
- wordart,...

Those things are probably well known by the team

As I am not a developer myself, my contribution so far has been in donating money to this project... and promoting other to do the them.

So again, Thanks and Great job !!

Cool
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I'll put something together for you (I assume only you can submit those changes to MU and VT)--but I think in the morning when I know I can think clearly Smile It's been a long day of Christmas shopping + arrival of Beta Smile

Actually, I didn't set up the MU and VT listings (I don't generally "push" Neo/J) so go ahead and submit your test directly. That will be faster.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
There's no mention of Beta in the news on www.neooffice.org Smile

I actually had left updating that site for last. There should now be a link in the news and the header graphic should be changed. I just used the NeoJ topic icon as the header in a blatan attempt to "brand" the new ship everywhere Wink

ed
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Thanks Patrick. Actually, you probably don't need "best", since the resulting image is now 62kB. "High" would probably work just as well, and would probably shave off 20k, if that's important. The thing in Photoshop when saving as a JPEG is to preview it and keep an eye on it while waggling the quality slider. If you can see artifacts, it's too low.

Looks great as it is right now. Smile

Thanks Smokey for taking a step back and assessing the customer experience. Smile

Dan
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:

Welcome!

Unfortunately, real arrangement of the menubar is a non-trivial task. Sun designed OOo with the needs of the platforms it does the builds for (Solaris Sparc, Solaris x86, Windows, Linux x86) in mind, and the code is buried deep within OOo.

In the meantime, there's an article in our wiki that explains how to use OOo/Neo/J's internal menu and keyboard rearrangement options, as well as the Mac OS X Keyboard System Preferences to "fake" things as well as possible.

There are even some sample configs you can import, just to get you started. If you make a more complete set, please let us know and we'll link to it so others can use it, too Smile

(And tecnhically it is better to use the Quit item in the file menu because it tells the underlying OOo code to shut down first....)

Smokey
thulli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice 1.1Beta : Good

I discovered this project with the slashdot article about OO.o 2.0. I was using OO.o X11 for about a month (I've had this PB recently).
I spent 3 hours downloading the alpha version plus the patch and 24 hours later, I was re doanloading again the beta! Damn Murphy's law!

Well, that's not my point here : I'd like to thank ed and patrick for their work and to contribute to the project. I don't know about Mac programming (I'm new to Macs) and I read that it's hard to get into the code of such a big project. For now, I saw in the Info.plist that the Kind field of the documents are all set to NeoOffice/J Document. I made changes to match the OO.o names and created a new thread in the Development forum.

I would like also to know if it's possible to have the GUI in another language. My native language is French, so I could help also to translate some of the interface.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 1.1Beta : Good

thulli wrote:
I would like also to know if it's possible to have the GUI in another language. My native language is French, so I could help also to translate some of the interface.

French is already bundled with Neo/J. Just set your preferred language to French in the System Preferences application and restart Neo/J.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5