Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta is released!
NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta is released!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject:

ed--

just curious-- has the recent exposure for the Neo/J project spurred any programmers to assist? Also, any stats on # of downloads/users? i know it's impossible to get a hard #, but has their been any kind of spike in downloads or anything since the beta came out and the exposure that received?

W

OPENSTEP wrote:
With something as large as OOo there's always going to be bugs in every version. If it's something that either Patrick or I say will be fixed in the next OOo version, please be patient.

FWIW, right now there aren't enough developers to keep up with maintenance of OOo X11 for Mac OS X, much less Neo/J. That said...Patrick's been doing better then the X11 team (though the fact I've been spending most of my time on NeoJ may be affecting that...). It doesn't matter whether you want to use X11 or NeoJ...neither have full-time staff and OOo releases are too fast paced to really keep up with and do full QA on. There's logistically no way a "rag tag" volunteer team can keep up with dozens of full-time paid engineers at Sun Sad

ed
Dante
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject:

sorry if I looed like an impatient, I think this project is one of the best (or the best one) I can find out there, believe me!! my intention was not to put pressure over thedevelopers, they're workin much hard for us.

I'm not a developer, neither I have knowledge about programming, but if I can help, I am here, just tell me!!

thanks for your help, support and work!!!

I'll work in Spanish till the bu is fixing, there's no more problem about it. Smile Wink
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject:

No, it's not impatience at all...it's just more that I need to make sure it's an argument that I can state coherently Smile The impatient ones are the folks who are already like "I don't care about 1.1, when is 2.0 coming?" without even realizing that 2.0 hasn't even been released yet by Sun for their platforms, much less X11 OS X!

"Maintenance" is an incredibly non-sexy task and generally not something most programmers want to do Sad I'm amazed that Patrick has had the stamina to get everything up to speed. I did a few major maintenance updates in my time and hats off to him!

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
just curious-- has the recent exposure for the Neo/J project spurred any programmers to assist?

There have been a couple of folks who have jumped on to help out with translations for NeoJ but I haven't been contacted by any solid developers, per se. There were about three or four responses for OOo X11 after the 2.0 /. story where I was ranting about a lack of developers. Mostly it seems to be the same thing, though: folks want to work on Aqua and UI design, not the actual porting work itself. Sniff.

Waldo wrote:
Also, any stats on # of downloads/users?

That I'm actually not sure of because I don't run the binary mirrors Wink I know the VersionTracker counter is at 2k d/ls for the beta. I also can't judge any traffic spike here due to the prevalence of the Santy/Perl worms that have accounted for probably 80%-90% of the hits in the last 5 days Sad

ed
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject:

Ah. Damn virus.... how about donations? From reading some of the news sites (/., macslash, etc.) and judging from the # of replies, it seems that quite a few people are aware of neo/j now, at least as opposed to before..

W

OPENSTEP wrote:
Waldo wrote:
just curious-- has the recent exposure for the Neo/J project spurred any programmers to assist?

There have been a couple of folks who have jumped on to help out with translations for NeoJ but I haven't been contacted by any solid developers, per se. There were about three or four responses for OOo X11 after the 2.0 /. story where I was ranting about a lack of developers. Mostly it seems to be the same thing, though: folks want to work on Aqua and UI design, not the actual porting work itself. Sniff.

Waldo wrote:

That I'm actually not sure of because I don't run the binary mirrors Wink I know the VersionTracker counter is at 2k d/ls for the beta. I also can't judge any traffic spike here due to the prevalence of the Santy/Perl worms that have accounted for probably 80%-90% of the hits in the last 5 days Sad

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Waldo wrote:

That I'm actually not sure of because I don't run the binary mirrors Wink I know the VersionTracker counter is at 2k d/ls for the beta.

And no one else seems to list downloads/version. Perhaps once we claim ownership at MacUpdate we can have some more detailed stats available (privately) there.

We've had one patch already, so Patrick might be able to give stats on patch downloads, too (since they're all from planamesa, no?).

Other intangible factors: we seem to have a fair number of new/new guest posters in the forums and some new reporters in bugzilla (a lot of them reporting/asking about OOo-caused issues, alas).

So news is geting out there. It'd be nice if someone had the time to google blogs, etc., about Beta and see what they're saying.

(ooo, I missed the MacSlash article!)

I'm working (slowly) on a nice little statement to send to MacInTouch, which should really help, but I wonder if we shouldn't wait until they're back from "holiday flexible publishing" before submitting it--or will that run us into MWSF? (all really thoughts for the "Marketing" thread, anyway)

Smokey

Sentinel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject:

The Town Crier wrote:

I'm working (slowly) on a nice little statement to send to MacInTouch, which should really help, but I wonder if we shouldn't wait until they're back from "holiday flexible publishing" before submitting it--or will that run us into MWSF? (all really thoughts for the "Marketing" thread, anyway)

I'd wait until (very) early January. Lots of people are on vacation this week and may not read all the backlog on all sites. Maybe you can send them the text with an ambargo until January 3rd.

Lga.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject:

I have fixed a few bugs that were found after I released NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta "Patch-1" so I have posted "Patch-2". The bugs fixed in this patch are listed below:

244 - cmd-c (copy) causes Neo to stall
297 - Wrong spacing around ligatures
301 - Beta 1.1 + first patch crashing

You can download "Patch-2" from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php

Please post any bugs that you find in Bugzilla at http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Patch update notification and being offline

As I promised earlier, I tested how being offline affects the patch update notification, namely:

While disconnected from the internet, I launched Neo/J for the first time after a patch was released.

As one would expect, there was no notification because I was offline Smile

However, when going back online and launching again there was no notification, presumably because the logic to prevent constant patch notifications on every launch Smile knew I'd already launched Neo/J once after the date/timestamp on the patch notification file.

If I've got this right, this means anyone who is offline (or otherwise unable to connect to planamesa.com) when launching Neo/J for the first time after a patch appears will never be notified of the patch until the next patch appears, presuming they're online then. All of our dialup users who don't frequent trinity or subscribe to the patch update list could be in the situation.

Is there any way for the update check/notification process to try again at next launch if the curl process returned an error during the prior launch (presumably curl returns an error about being unable to connect)? And if so, is it simple enough to be worth implementing? Very Happy

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: No patch Notification

Same here : I'm on dial up and very rarely use NeoOffice/J while online. Just tried it, no notification.
Many Thanks for the 2nd patch link though.
Downloading now.Smile

lga
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject:

Seems that the cmd-C bug is back in that version (or with patch 1)

I had reactivated QuickSilver clipboard and last night, after having upgraded, I tried to remove a large image with cmd-X from a document and it locked. It worked when I deactivated the clipboard function in QS.

I can send the faulty document if it helps, but I guess it must be easy to reproduce. I can't reopen a bug right now, I'm at work.

Thinking about it, I will try rebooting before I reopen the bug.

Lga.

[edit]It works OK after a reboot.[/edit]
varneyj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: patch query feature

A note to the developer community from a user rather than a programmer:

While exploring the features of NeoOffice/J beta, I was startled by Little Snitch's warnings every time I started the program that it was trying to run curl and query exo.phpwebhosting.com. Some further browsing of this forum leads me to think that this is a patch update check and not something malicious.

When this program emerges from beta, this feature should be eliminated or made a lot more obvious as what is going on. Programs that secretly call home, whether for good reasons or not, are not something that I want on my computer.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: patch query feature

varneyj wrote:
While exploring the features of NeoOffice/J beta, I was startled by Little Snitch's warnings every time I started the program that it was trying to run curl and query exo.phpwebhosting.com. Some further browsing of this forum leads me to think that this is a patch update check and not something malicious.

How would you suggest this be done? The "call home" method is exactly the same method that Apple uses for their "Software Update" application. I am reluctant to remove the patch update checking specifically because very few people bother to check for patches and, as a result, Bugzilla and this forum get flooded with bugs that have already been fixed.

One thing that I could do is reduce the frequency that the patch update checking is done to once a week or something like that.

Patrick
David

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: patch query feature

pluby wrote:
How would you suggest this be done? The "call home" method is exactly the same method that Apple uses for their "Software Update" application. I am reluctant to remove the patch update checking specifically because very few people bother to check for patches

I have chosen to turn off Apple's Software Update checking on my system. Could Neo/J include an option (non-default, of course) to turn off patch checking?

Ideally, such an option would reside somewhere in the Tools/Options dialog box; but if that is not feasible - since, of course, said dialog box is brought over from OOo - perhaps it could be one of those "defaults write" things in Terminal, documented in the Neo/J wiki, and via a "sticky" here in the forums. Having to use Terminal for the purpose would certainly not be my preference, but it would solve the problem for those who find it such.
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: patch query feature

Perhaps a dialog box could be thrown up that says "checking for new patches..." or some text could indicate such in the splash page?

This might alleviate the concerns of some who wonder what the app is doing.

W

David wrote:
pluby wrote:
How would you suggest this be done? The "call home" method is exactly the same method that Apple uses for their "Software Update" application. I am reluctant to remove the patch update checking specifically because very few people bother to check for patches

I have chosen to turn off Apple's Software Update checking on my system. Could Neo/J include an option (non-default, of course) to turn off patch checking?

Ideally, such an option would reside somewhere in the Tools/Options dialog box; but if that is not feasible - since, of course, said dialog box is brought over from OOo - perhaps it could be one of those "defaults write" things in Terminal, documented in the Neo/J wiki, and via a "sticky" here in the forums. Having to use Terminal for the purpose would certainly not be my preference, but it would solve the problem for those who find it such.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5