· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Trinity BBS PHP issue
Trinity BBS PHP issue

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Trinity BBS PHP issue

Could someone with some knowledge of PHP/Nuke tell me why the page displayed by this kind of BBS like Trinity- sometimes require a wider window to display completely? And sometime this window has to be full-screen.
It's annoying to resize everytime.
P.S. This is using Safari, should I have checked using Mozilla before posting?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject:

I think the limiting factor on window width is the size of the banner graphic plus width of the search field. I don't recall ever seeing safari scale down graphics for window sizes. Above that width it's happy at redoing the text wrap and such. I see the same kind of behaviour with /. when the /. banner graphic + width of all of the topic icons for the day is reached.

Since the search field is unusable here, however, I could go about removing it which should allow the windows to be sized to a smaller width. I may just be spoiled with a plethora of 17" screens and actually never noticed the layout had a minimum width before trying just now Smile

ed
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I think the limiting factor on window width is the size of the banner graphic plus width of the search field.

Nop! That's not what I mean. At the moment I have two tabs open, in the same window in Safari. In one I read this topic and write this reply. It is just wide enough to accommodate the banner graphic and the search field width. That's OK. In the other, I'm reading another thread with new post by you (Yet another "Can't Start OpenOffice") and it needs a wider window to display all the text in messages, which doesn't wrap to my wish.
And, yes, I verified in Mozilla: the same.
OPENSTEP wrote:
I don't recall ever seeing safari scale down graphics for window sizes.

BTW, I recently noticed that safari scale DOWN image/graphic if it's set to 100% width (of a table cell for exemple). If you see my own web site, on the page http://perso.wanadoo.fr/max.barel/Graal/ , all graphics rezise.

BUT, this is NOT the problem of this kind of PHP BBS
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject:

Interesting...I did a quick browsethrough of the source generated by the PHP server and it is throwing some width=300 style tags in its tables (aargh...I hate evil nested tables!), and those may be what's causing it. Unfortunately I'm not an HTML expert...I know the syntax and the language but not the side effects things have in different browsers Sad

The underlying BBS system is called phpBB:

http://www.phpbb.com/

We're running a 2.x version with the default "subSilver" theme (same as used on ooodocs). There are actually a bunch of different ones:

http://www.phpbb.com/styles/styles_demo/

many of which are just painful to look at Smile The only reason I mention this is that I'm not sure if the width limitation is coming from the style or from the underlying phpBB system.

Anyone have more experience with phpBB systems and can lend a clue? (or do folks want a different style then subSilver?)

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject:

I use phpBB on some of my websites, so I'll dig through the files and see what I can find.

(though I haven't used the phpNuke/phpBB algamation yet)

All the spacing and sorts is done with HTML and CSS, and as you probably know, every browser has its own quirks with those combinations.

I do think that Safari will drop code in the name of speed (don't know that for sure, but it seems that way at times). but, just an opinion. Camino cruches it ok.

Anyway, hope that helps some, I'll poke around the code and play with safari and see what I can dig up.

-jake
ps. all my coding experience is web-geekedness, maybe i could help that way?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1