NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice(/J) Community Relations
NeoOffice(/J) Community Relations

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject:

Finally got around to registering with the wiki... couple of typos corrected. Couple of points to make:

1. Shouldn't the first paragraph also include the word FREE at some point as this could well be the only one that a lot of people bother to read, so get your strongest selling points in there at the get go? . E.g.

"Planamesa Software and the NeoOffice.org community are proud to introduce NeoOffice®/J 1.1, a Mac OS X-native version of the free OpenOffice.org office suite that includes Microsoft™ Office-compatible word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and drawing applications. NeoOffice®/J 1.1 is available today as a free download from the Planamesa Software website, http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/."

2. Can I suggest something like this change as well as it really is quite important that this capability is compatible with MS Office "...including collaborative features such as the ability to track changes as a document is sent from one user to another, including to MS Office users."

I don't want to add them until others agree.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
Finally got around to registering with the wiki... couple of typos corrected. Couple of points to make:

1. Shouldn't the first paragraph also include the word FREE at some point as this could well be the only one that a lot of people bother to read, so get your strongest selling points in there at the get go? . E.g.

"Planamesa Software and the NeoOffice.org community are proud to introduce NeoOffice®/J 1.1, a Mac OS X-native version of the free OpenOffice.org office suite that includes Microsoft™ Office-compatible word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and drawing applications. NeoOffice®/J 1.1 is available today as a free download from the Planamesa Software website, http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/."

2. Can I suggest something like this change as well as it really is quite important that this capability is compatible with MS Office "...including collaborative features such as the ability to track changes as a document is sent from one user to another, including to MS Office users."

I don't want to add them until others agree.

I don't know if this is the best practice, but what I find works is to just go ahead and make changes to the wiki that you think will improve it. If the community thinks you're nuts, they'll just change it back Wink

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject:

What Waldo said, but since you asked anyway:

I agree with both of those in principle, but I've tried in my editing to keep "repeated words" to a minimum (my 9th grade English teacher haunting my writing even today).

We do have "free"* at the end of the 1st pgh, but that's not so overloaded as the second one, where the last sentence of that pgh right now is the only one in that pgh not to contain "MS Office." If you can rework that paragraph so all three sentences don't contain "MS Office," I would be thrilled! Smile

* At some point we also need to decide which "free" each instance of "free" represents, for languages which distinguish between price/beer and freedom.

Smokey

Edit: Wow, this was my 800th post. It seems like just the other day I broke 200 and was finally an Oracle Smile

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
What Waldo said, but since you asked anyway:

I agree with both of those in principle, but I've tried in my editing to keep "repeated words" to a minimum (my 9th grade English teacher haunting my writing even today).

We do have "free"* at the end of the 1st pgh, but that's not so overloaded as the second one, where the last sentence of that pgh right now is the only one in that pgh not to contain "MS Office." If you can rework that paragraph so all three sentences don't contain "MS Office," I would be thrilled! Smile

* At some point we also need to decide which "free" each instance of "free" represents, for languages which distinguish between price/beer and freedom.

Smokey

Edit: Wow, this was my 800th post. It seems like just the other day I broke 200 and was finally an Oracle Smile

Sheesh, I'm blind and/or tired... didn't see that free in the 1st paragraph.

As for the second one...

Hmmm, how about a near total rewrite:

Code:
"NeoOffice®/J 1.1 has a robust feature set that is common to all major office suites. It offers compatibility with the documents and features of Microsoft™ Office and WordPerfect™ (including the ability to track changes as a document is sent from one user to another), and exports to many formats including PDF, HTML, Flash, .doc, .ppt and .xls."

Thoughts? Are the TLEs to obtuse a reference to Office compatibility or do you think they are so well known it is OK to keep them in place of a second "MS Office". Btw, who owns WordPerfect (Corel??) - shouldn't it be Corel WordPerfectâ„¢

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
Hmmm, how about a near total rewrite:

Code:
"NeoOffice®/J 1.1 has a robust feature set that is common to all major office suites. It offers compatibility with the documents and features of Microsoft™ Office and WordPerfect™ (including the ability to track changes as a document is sent from one user to another), and exports to many formats including PDF, HTML, Flash, .doc, .ppt and .xls."

Thoughts? Are the TLEs to obtuse a reference to Office compatibility or do you think they are so well known it is OK to keep them in place of a second "MS Office". Btw, who owns WordPerfect (Corel??) - shouldn't it be Corel WordPerfectâ„¢

C'est mumṭāẓ! Perhaps use "Word, Excel, and Powerpoint" rather than the TLEs; I think that sounds a little better, but still keeps us from saying "MS Office" again Smile And yes, it's Corel WordPerfectâ„¢ these days.

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject:

Was just about to revise that paragraph when I saw you had already done it, so thanks! Made a minor edit though.

I've been trying to think of something better than the "A Real Macintosh Application" title, but can't really come up with anything. Having said that, do we think that it should really say something like "Making OpenOffice.org into a real Macintosh Application." It implies that progress has been made toward the successful aquafication of OOo but also suggests it isn't yet complete and therefore better reflects the current state of affairs... or is that too negative a spin to put on it?

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
I've been trying to think of something better than the "A Real Macintosh Application" title, but can't really come up with anything. Having said that, do we think that it should really say something like "Making OpenOffice.org into a real Macintosh Application." It implies that progress has been made toward the successful aquafication of OOo but also suggests it isn't yet complete and therefore better reflects the current state of affairs... or is that too negative a spin to put on it?

I've been using the tagline "Bringing the power of OpenOffice.org to Mac OS X" in the Neo/J splashscreen for the last couple of releases. Feel free to use it if you like it.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
JKT wrote:

I've been using the tagline "Bringing the power of OpenOffice.org to Mac OS X" in the Neo/J splashscreen for the last couple of releases. Feel free to use it if you like it.

Patrick

I'm "test-marketing" a variation on these themes right now in the Announcement. The official tagline "feels" a bit long for the Announcement headers.... I'm not sure my variation is any good, though.

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject:

I quite like the current version "Making OpenOffice.org Mac-friendly".

JimWG
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: 2 cents

"The Sweet Suite That Apple Forgot."

James "No Madison Ave" Greenidge

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject:

"OpenOffice meets the eye of the Tiger"

(Probably too 10.4 specific but might be useful for hyping 1.1 final?)
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject:

My tuppence worth:

"NeoOfficeJ - seamless integration of OpenOffice on the Mac"

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject:

rays wrote:
My tuppence worth:

"NeoOfficeJ - seamless integration of OpenOffice on the Mac"

That might be even better. Same idea as I had, less-awkward wording Smile

(as is often the case when I have an idea...someone else finally finds the right words to express the "ideal thought" beautifully Smile)

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject:

I set out to try to strike a tone such that NeoOfficeJ is not perceived as to be claiming to be 'OpenOffice on the Mac'.

My proposal seeks to accommodate those who rightly recognise that NeoOfficeJ's existence is wholly dependent on the continuing development of OpenOffice.org Mac OS X(X11) at its core.

At the same time, and at least for the foreseeable future, broad acceptance of OpenOffice as a viable software for adoption on the Mac is entirely dependent on the continuing existence and development of NeoOfficeJ.

A very interesting inter-dependency results from these factors which demands respect from the two 'parties' on each others' unique contributions to the success of the whole.

So much for the philosophy... Rolling Eyes

Any such nuances will be and possibly should be invisible to the typical NeoOfficeJ user.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Technical Question about Press Style

If we want to (or end up needing to) send out the Announement to the "news media" in advance, say, the Friday before the Weds release, do we need to change "FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE" to something like "FOR RELEASE ON $release_date"?

Is that how the press stuff works?

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6