· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - problem launching after upgrading to panther
problem launching after upgrading to panther

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimhoffmann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: problem launching after upgrading to panther

Just successfully upgraded os from 10.2.8 to 10.3.7. When I launched OOo, it started as usual and then just before completing, it gave the message that "either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal settings or your personal settings are locked. Simultaneous access can lead to inconsistencies in your personal settings. Before continuing you should make sure user jimhoffmann closes OpenOffice.org on host JimHoffmann.local. Do you really want to continue?" And the no option is highlighted. My personal settings are not locked, and there is no OpenOffice.org open for me to close. So I clicked no and decided to ask what to do before I go ahead and click yes. Can anyone help with this? Many thanks.
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, I saw this exact same thing today with OOo on Windows XP, when I did a "switch user". When trying to start OOo as the new user, it complained that the first user was using the settings. Of course, the first user's session was NOT running OOo... but it *was* running the OOo Quick Launcher. I switched back to the first user and logged him out properly, and the problem went away.

I'm not sure if there's an analogous "quick launch" for OOo on the Mac. *shrug*

Dan
jimhoffmann

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject:

Dan, I think I have a Quick Launcher also, but there is noone else who uses this computer, so I have noone to log out. Thanks for telling me about your experience. I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get rid of this message, otherwise I can't get into OOo without clicking the yes which the message warns against.
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Re:problem launching after upgrading to Panther

jimhoffmann wrote:
I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get rid of this message, otherwise I can't get into OOo without clicking the yes which the message warns against.

I was waiting to see if anyone else had more insight than I did, before replying.

I believe I have seen this type of error message on occasion, when I have been testing OOo on Panther.

It has been a while, and I probably didn't investigate the problem, so I'm not sure what causes it.

I believe Panther authenticates users differently from previous Mac OS X versions - that *may* account for it.

Generally I guess I have just said "Yes" to the alert, and that has fixed things. BUT I don't have any personal OOo templates or settings that I care about losing.

If you have personal OOo templates or settings that you care about, you might want to first make a backup (you do make backups, right Wink ) of the Ooo data in your Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder.

Then I say go for it, and answer "Yes" and see if the problem goes away.

Regards, Terry
jimhoffmann

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Terry. It worked like you said: I clicked yes and it opened normally. I closed it and opened it again and it opened normally. One very nice side effect of this search for help on the forum is that I discovered NeoofficeJ. I've installed it and it works with all the files I've created with OOo. Being retired, I do not create as many documents and presentations as I used to, so for my purposes now, it seems that NeoofficeJ will be my preferred choice over OOo until that time when OOo is able to work fully with OSX architecture. (Don't know if I expressed that correctly 'Laughing')
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject:

jimhoffmann wrote:
One very nice side effect of this search for help on the forum is that I discovered NeoofficeJ. I've installed it and it works with all the files I've created with OOo. Being retired, I do not create as many documents and presentations as I used to, so for my purposes now, it seems that NeoofficeJ will be my preferred choice over OOo until that time when OOo is able to work fully with OSX architecture. (Don't know if I expressed that correctly 'Laughing')

The fact that you're expressing a preference for NeoOffice/J is what I'd call "expressing it correctly". Smile

Dan
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1