· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - iWork and article comments
iWork and article comments

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: iWork and article comments

so i am sure that most of you have heard about the rumored iWork. Well, it has brought up a lot of conversation and oo.o has come up, even neo/j too. so if you have time, pop over to your favorate discussion site, macslash, slashdot, macrumors, etc, and fight some fud. =)

-j
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject:

I don't see a problem here. If iWork costs money, it is another to-pay-for application, like MS Office, Ragtime, etc. If it's free (I doubt it, may be on new Macs) and as powerful as OOo, it's a serious competitor to Neo, IMHO.

But even then it's good to have some alternatives Wink

Thomas
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject:

All rumors aside, it's best to keep in mind that AppleWorks has even been around all the time I've been working on OOo and it hasn't stopped me yet. We'll see what they come up with, but I don't think a full professional grade office suite a la MS Office fits in with their overall strategy. The release of Keynote didn't stop momentum of OOo, and I don't think an updated AppleWorks will either.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject:

no so much in what iWork may be, but rather OO.o and Neo have come up in teh discussions and i've seen some wrong stuff being passed around.

that and there seems to be this silver lining theory that once OO.o 2.0 comes out there will be a magic native version that will POOF and appear.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
that and there seems to be this silver lining theory that once OO.o 2.0 comes out there will be a magic native version that will POOF and appear.

LOL. Those rumors never seem to die. I guess there are some people that are eternally optimistic.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Hehe...

How soon will it be before folks find out Pages converts your complex Office documents into Tatters (TM)? ROFL

Oh please let the name be Pages so I can come up with even more asinine witticisms Laughing

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Clever wording in the iWork marketing materials...

If you read through the Pages compatibility section you'll note some clever wording:

http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/compatibility.html

Note under the Word compatibility section it lists they'll look the same as "wherever possible", a clever way of saying not 100% of the time. As to other meta information that it imports, it only refers to importing of styles as being the key to compatibility. If that was it, then OOo would already be at 100% and beyond Very Happy

For file export it's curious how PDF is the one that's marked up as being the primary export and interchange format. Word is just kind of bundled in the same bunch as "text only".

Somehow the careful marketing-speak makes me think OOo/NeoJ will still be the best choices for interacting with the MS Office based workflow that dominates my workplace. I guess there's a fine line between revolutionary and practical Confused

ed
RossT
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Having just watched the keynote in Quicktime, I have to say that Pages looks more like a threat to InDesign than to Neo. It seems to me to emphasize page layout capability rather than the text tools and compatibility needed by those who work with business documents. And the photo editing in the new iPhoto might supplant Photoshop Elements.

I'll definitely keep using Neo after I get iWork, but those Adobe apps might not be necessary any more.

Ross
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject:

RossT wrote:
Having just watched the keynote in Quicktime, I have to say that Pages looks more like a threat to InDesign than to Neo. It seems to me to emphasize page layout capability rather than the text tools and compatibility needed by those who work with business documents. And the photo editing in the new iPhoto might supplant Photoshop Elements.

I'll definitely keep using Neo after I get iWork, but those Adobe apps might not be necessary any more.

Ross

More choices for the consumer is always a great thing.. so welcome iWork & Pages.. Still...

Pages + Keynote== $79.00

Neooffice/J == Free

And that includes Calc. So there ya go.

W
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject:

RossT wrote:
I have to say that Pages looks more like a threat to InDesign than to Neo.

Am I the only old timer that saw the keynote and thought of Aldus Press or whatever that was called? This was the only link I could google down:

http://www.savetz.com/ku/ku/savetz_personal_press_lazy_man_s_pagemaker_august_1993.html

Fun little program that was. PageMaker too.

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Clever wording in the iWork marketing materials...

OPENSTEP wrote:
Somehow the careful marketing-speak makes me think OOo/NeoJ will still be the best choices for interacting with the MS Office based workflow that dominates my workplace. I guess there's a fine line between revolutionary and practical Confused

I recently said somewhere that OOo should look at adding something to replace Pagemaker or Illustrator when the standalone database app is done. Now, that much is covered by Apple (assuming they'll bundle it with the new Macs).

RossT wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised. The effort it would take to get people away from M$ Office is enormous. I doubt it makes sense for Apple. But the software on the Mac so far is already party in competition with Adobe's product on entry level. So why not take that further.

I also recall the slogan for iLife: "Like Office for the rest of your life." This would indicate they'll provide software for the things Office doesn't do, thereby maing the making valuable out of the box for people who need to work just beyond Office.

Finally, Apple is big in publishing, so why not focus there? Get all the publishing kids who are now put to work on a Windows machine back on the Mac with easy starter kits.

jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject:

i definatly got more of a Pagemaker, Indesign feel from Pages. but, if you think about it, more people use that kind of stuff than track changes - for HOME use that is.

and keynote is just sweet, i just wish i had a presentation to give at work so i could show off. =)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
and keynote is just sweet, i just wish i had a presentation to give at work so i could show off. =)

It's worse when you do have to give presentations but your presentation machines are only running PowerPoint, not as that's ever happened to me... Wink

ed <--- OOo/Neo user of, oh, four years on OS X Wink
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject:

Macintouch wrote:
Pages can import AppleWorks and Microsoft Word files, as well as numerous graphics formats, and it can export to ODF, Word, HTML, RTF, or, of course, plain text. (Booth staffers I talked to later weren't able to add much detail about Pages' ability to exchange heavily formatted documents with Word formatting, except to say that "no one does it perfectly but we do pretty well.") http://www.macintouch.com/mwsf2005keynote.html

So I finally got around to doing some reading on the keynote (since I was driving back to DC while it was happening...) and saw this bit in Macintouch. What's ODF? Is that the forthcoming OOo et al. Open Document Format? That would be cool to see Apple at least attempting to interoperate.

[Edit: I just occurred to me why I've not seen that anywhere else...I bet it's a typo for PDF, given the position of O and P on a standard keyboard, and poor editing. Oh well. So much for my great hopes for Apple.]

As to the latter half of that paragraph, I think Ed's covered it Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1