Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - PostScript output / Printing redirecton (for extendedPDF)
PostScript output / Printing redirecton (for extendedPDF)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Well, THarf! Sad I'm out of ideas. Does the ever-so-helpful GS error still claim that your resulting file is going to be testdoc.tmp rather than testdoc.pdf?

AFAIR, the error is the same. I haven't a clue why it uses about .tmp, I didn't tell it to do that. And yes, I am using 1.2 of the ePDF macro.[/quote]

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject:

Oscar, after some time of not having extendedPDF working, I have it working again in this environment:

• Neo/J 1.1 RC TestPatch-2.1 (I don't think the testpatch did it, it just happened to be part of today's upgrade cycle)
  • extendedPDF 1.2 (the upgrade to 1.1.4 codebase broke the old version I was using)
  • Acrobat Distiller 6.0.2
  • Mac OS X 10.3.9*
  • the current version of Marc Liyanage's script

* I believe it was an OS update that broke things, because OOo X11 was also broken during the same period, and nothing had changed with the OOo X11 version, its extendedPDF version, or its Liyanage script...but 10.3.9 seems to fix things for Neo/J, and X11 is working again with no changes other than the OS version.....

I finally saw the foo.tmp file, too; that part apparently got introduced in extendedPDF between 0.93 and 1.2.

Anyway, just an FYI in case you want to try to have things run all the way through automatically again.

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Oscar, after some time of not having extendedPDF working, I have it working again in this environment:

<clipped>

Anyway, just an FYI in case you want to try to have things run all the way through automatically again.

Thanks! Your environment looks quite like mine, except that I've switched to Acrobat 7 now (shouldn't make much difference, I hope).

Now, I tried it earlier, but it still gives issues. Can you update the hints section in the wiki to show exactly how you did it and what you ran in to? If not, just post here and I''' try it and put it in the wiki later when I have it working, too..

EDIT: I thought of something that might prove to be the problem. I have distiller in an "/Acrobat 7" subfolder of "/Applications". Will the script stil find the distiller or do I need to include that path? If so, could someone tel me how that works in applescript?

Best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Now, I tried it earlier, but it still gives issues. Can you update the hints section in the wiki to show exactly how you did it and what you ran in to? If not, just post here and I''' try it and put it in the wiki later when I have it working, too..

Hrmf. I didn't change anything configuration-wise; what's in the wiki is exactly how I have things set up.

ovvldc wrote:
EDIT: I thought of something that might prove to be the problem. I have distiller in an "/Acrobat 7" subfolder of "/Applications". Will the script stil find the distiller

It should, as long as you have the correct name in your helper script (i.e., the foo 7.0.1 of foo 7.0.1.app, and as long as there's only one app with that name). My 6.0.2 is actually in /Applications/Graphics/Adobe Acrobat Professional and it invokes it fine.

Sad

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Hrmf. I didn't change anything configuration-wise; what's in the wiki is exactly how I have things set up.

OK. will try Smile. Thanks!

tlmurray
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Presently, with patch 6 in Panther 10.3.9 and Acrobat 7, if I select Adobe PDF as the printer and print a PostScript file, my distilled result shows no EPS graphics at all. If I File > Export as PDF, I get the previews of the EPS graphics.

Is it the intended goal of the project to process EPS graphics as any other graphics, without resorting to third-party tools (over and above the OS and Acrobat in the general retail market)?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject:

tlmurray wrote:
Is it the intended goal of the project to process EPS graphics as any other graphics, without resorting to third-party tools (over and above the OS and Acrobat in the general retail market)?

Yes it is. Unfortunately, the print system is unable to process EPS at this time due to technical limitations imposed by Apple.

So, even if we want to support EPS, right now we cannot. EPS support will not come until a switch from carbon/java 1.3 to cocoa/java 1.4 is made and that is some time (and some funding) away.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
So, even if we want to support EPS, right now we cannot. EPS support will not come until a switch from carbon/java 1.3 to cocoa/java 1.4 is made and that is some time (and some funding) away.

That's assuming Java 1.4 prints differently from Java 1.3. The real problem is that Java 1.3 uses the "new" (i.e., Mac OS X) CoreGraphics to print and that EPS embedding is not supported in CoreGraphics, only in the old (deprecated) QuickDraw printing....

See Patrick's final comment in bug 359 where, after a long torturous diagnosis, we got to the bottom of this.

The upside is that if 10.4.x adds that feature to CoreGraphics, no change is necessary and all of the sudden printing EPS/EPS embedding in PDFs will miraculously work. And since QuickDraw is deprecated, someday Apple will have to fix it in CG before QD goes away, or Adobe and millions of EPS-using users will have Steve's head....

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Anybody still using this thing, and using it with ghostscript rather than distiller?

I keep getting this error:

Code:
There was an error running GhostScript.
    Please check that your configuration is correct.
    (Command line: gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dPDFSETTINGS=/default "-sOutputFile=/Users/brianwong/Desktop/test.tmp" -c .setpdfwrite -f "/Users/brianwong/Desktop/test.ps")
System error 0 occurred: Fehler 0: Kein Fehlertext verfuegbar! at line: 705

Color blindness is racism-you assume that I should be like you; color awareness is not-you respect that I am me.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Are you on 10.3 + ? You may want to try using the Apple supplied "pstopdf" instead. I'm not an extendedPDF user but I've been using the apple built in after ghostscript had issues installing on 10.3.+.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Are you on 10.3 + ? You may want to try using the Apple supplied "pstopdf" instead. I'm not an extendedPDF user but I've been using the apple built in after ghostscript had issues installing on 10.3.+.

Apple's pstopdf doesn't have support for creating structured PDFs, at least on 10.3.x Sad Thus part of our dilemma....

I seem to recall getting the same error trying to use some version of gs on my Mac when testing the extendedPDF stuff (although I have test PDFs sitting in that folder that claim they were made with gs Question maybe I got that error when trying to use pstopdf? It's been a while, but I'm certain that gs did work from OOo, though.)

Also, make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of extendedPDF; the older version would work with 1.1.2-based builds but not with anything newer. You need at least v1.2 for any OOo or Neo/J newer than 1.1.2/Alpha 2.

Finally, Marc Liyanage mentions in his tutorial that he uses Fink's gs, so that's another option if all else fails.

If you can provide more specifics as to your config, that would make it easier to narrow down the problem.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2