Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Conflicts with Photoshop Elements 3.0
Conflicts with Photoshop Elements 3.0

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nic2109no
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Conflicts with Photoshop Elements 3.0

I was using NeoOffice/J happily until I installed Photoshop Elements 3.0. No problem with NeoOffice/J but PSE wouldn't load/edit my pictures. Not at all.

I went right through Adobe's trouble shooting guide to no avail, but as NeoOffice was the only non-Apple software I had installed, I tried the "completely remove NeoOffice" option.

Much to my surprise Photoshop now works!

So; I am facing an unpalletable choice of either giving up PSE (which I have paid for) or buying MS-Office for the Mac. Unless anyone out there can help me get the two products working side-by-side.

The PSE symptoms were as follows :-

The software appeared to load, the menu bar and side windows appeared as did the help/tutorial panel. BUT the main window where the picture should be was missing; it showed whatever was on the window/wallpaper "behind" the PSE window. If then I navigated to a picture file to open and selected it then the helpful message "Could not complete the action due to a program error" appeared. There was nothing in any crash logs and no other indication that it hadn't worked.

I would very much like to re-install NeoOffice, but until I can get PSE to work on my iBook I'll be sticking to my Windows PC and OpenOffice for office documents.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Neo doesn't introduce anything that actually affects applications system-wide. Either you may be experiencing some type of conflict with respect to Java 1.3 (unlikely) or another system-wide application. Are you using any Unsanity haxies or APE perchance?

Unlike Mac OS 9 and predecessors, applications in Mac OS X can't affect other applications except in rare circumstances due to protected memory.

ed
nic2109no
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Conflicts between Neo and Photoshop Elements

Hi; thanks for the response.

I am not knowingly using either of the things mentioned: I don't even understand what they are.

It's all very well to say, in effect, "It can't be Neo". All I know is that I once was blind, but now I see. And, to continue the analogy: my sight was restored when Neo was removed.

If I re-install Neo and the problem comes back, how can I trouble-shoot it to find just where the problem lies? I'm no expert, but am reasonably PC-literate, though I am a newbie when it comes to MacOS. If you would like me to try something to pin-point the issue then I'm willing to try any suggestion short of "trash your system and re-install everything one at a time and find out which program causes the problem" which was Adobe's suggestion. The implication was that I should then simply un-install it and carry on without whatever it was. Ba!

I didn't mean this post to turn into a sounding-off session, so had better wind up now. Any practical suggestions as to a way forward will be most welcome.

Best regards.

Nic
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Conflicts between Neo and Photoshop Elements

nic2109no wrote:
If I re-install Neo and the problem comes back, how can I trouble-shoot it to find just where the problem lies? I'm no expert, but am reasonably PC-literate, though I am a newbie when it comes to MacOS. If you would like me to try something to pin-point the issue then I'm willing to try any suggestion short of "trash your system and re-install everything one at a time and find out which program causes the problem" which was Adobe's suggestion. The implication was that I should then simply un-install it and carry on without whatever it was. Ba!

Not exactly. Ed was just trying to point out the Neo/J doesn't make any system changes nor is it a kernel extension so, in theory, it shouldn't be able to access or control any other application.

That being said, we have noticed that Java 1.3.1 (which Neo/J uses to create windows, draw, etc.) has been known to confuse any application (or even Mac OS X itself!) that sends Apple events to a Java 1.3.1 application like Neo/J.

So, what you might want to do is reinstall Neo/J and then try installing the latest "Performance Test Patch" that is described at http://trinity.neooffice.org/. This patch uses Java 1.4.x instead of the older, flakier Java 1.3.1 and, so far, Java 1.4.x seems to play nicer with other applications and the OS than Java 1.3.1 did.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject:

Just to follow on to what Patrick said, the Performance Test Patches have eliminated a number of otherwise odd and random and inexplicable incompatibilites with other apps that have been reported over time...iListen, some sort of taskbar program whose name escapes me, and couple of others.

Fingers crossed that it also fixes issues with Elements....

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject:

Hello Nic,
Did you ever manage to get to the root of the conflict? I am having similar problem with Photoshop Elements 3 after installing Neooffice 2.1 patch5. Photoshop won't even open.

As I remember, I too got the 'transparent workspace' on Photoshop when I had Neooffice 1.2 patch3. I hadnt realised that this was related.

Regards,
Nempnett
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1