· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Printing problems with NeoOffice/J 0.7
Printing problems with NeoOffice/J 0.7

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject:

No, SeaMonkey currently but also Safari, Camino and iCab. I use exactly 1 M$ product because my OS X version is too old for the recently released free Flip4Mac .wmv plug-in for web browsers. The height of proprietary.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
No, SeaMonkey currently but also Safari, Camino and iCab. I use exactly 1 M$ product because my OS X version is too old for the recently released free Flip4Mac .wmv plug-in for web browsers. The height of proprietary.

Which version of Mac OS X are you using? NeoOffice 1.2 can only be used on Mac OS X 10.3 or later. If you are using Mac OS X 10.2, please use NeoOffice/J 1.1.

James

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:

Not quite James. I'm using NOJ v 0.7 on OS X 10.2.5 ... but that has nothing to do with above. My NOJ setup works fine. Well, you know, it could be 'Snappier' TM, but other than that works just fine...

Wait a minute, I take that back. I just switched from an Epson Stylus printer (I was going broke buying ink cartridges) to a Canon AIO p/c/s and since then I can't print from NOJ anymore. I send something to the printer in NOJ, the stop sign turns red briefly but nothing comes out of the printer or shows up in Print Center. Any ideas? Do I need to reinstall Gimp-print or my X11 version of OO_o both that I accidentatally deleted but don't want to reinstall due to their sheer size? NOJ is self-conrtained, correct? Or is just some reset in the NOJ Tools menu item that I need to do?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Not quite James. I'm using NOJ v 0.7 on OS X 10.2.5 ... but that has nothing to do with above. My NOJ setup works fine. Well, you know, it could be 'Snappier' TM, but other than that works just fine...

Wait a minute, I take that back. I just switched from an Epson Stylus printer (I was going broke buying ink cartridges) to a Canon AIO p/c/s and since then I can't print from NOJ anymore. I send something to the printer in NOJ, the stop sign turns red briefly but nothing comes out of the printer or shows up in Print Center. Any ideas? Do I need to reinstall Gimp-print or my X11 version of OO_o both that I accidentatally deleted but don't want to reinstall due to their sheer size? NOJ is self-conrtained, correct? Or is just some reset in the NOJ Tools menu item that I need to do?

Why on earth are you using a very old unsupported buggy version? The number of serious bugs that were fixed between Neo/J 0.7 and Neo/J 1.1 is in the hundreds.

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:

The older version does what I need it to do. When I eventually get a new Mac, which the kids can't wait for but was postponed due to not getting any tax return last year (there's a war on you know) and finding out I'm losing my job, rest assured I will immediately d/l and use the latest Neo. So, would you happen to know the source of my current printing problems by any chance? (I don't think it affected my printing from AbiWord X but I should really confirm that.). Printing from AppleWorks is fine.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
So, would you happen to know the source of my current printing problems by any chance? (I don't think it affected my printing from AbiWord X but I should really confirm that.). Printing from AppleWorks is fine.

As Patrick said, v0.7 is unsupported. And there were a *lot* of printing bugs fixed from 0.7 to 1.1.

Anyway, Neo 0.7 does not seem to do what you want it to do. So do yourself a favour, download the 1.1 and install it. I am not sure if your settings will migrate across those versions (I doubt it, actually), but you really shouldn't hold out unless you have a bunch of complicated macro libraries installed.

Good luck,
Oscar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:

OK. Let me think about it. It worked before with the other printer, same OS and same connection. Maybe I'll look for some other Canon drivers or something. I don't use it or print from it too much so it will be on the back burner if I do upgrade this machine. Thanks for the input. It didn't occur to me that I was asking a "support" question but I guess, in fact, I was.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
OK. Let me think about it. It worked before with the other printer, same OS and same connection. Maybe I'll look for some other Canon drivers or something. I don't use it or print from it too much so it will be on the back burner if I do upgrade this machine. Thanks for the input. It didn't occur to me that I was asking a "support" question but I guess, in fact, I was.

Well, printer drivers on the Mac are not as horrible as on Windows, but still a drag. Best of luck with it!

Best wishes,
Oscar

kcavaliere
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Jaguar and printer drivers

A sure way to be very frustrated is to use Jaguar 10.2x for printing. There were few native drivers and what drivers that did exist were fairly primitive. It's not much of a trick to use an old printer (with a simple command language) with an old OS. However, using a old OS with a new printer is another issue. If Canon does not support Jaguar (and I doubt it) for this particular printer then you can expect all sorts of troubles. The printing system used in 10.3 and 10.4 is very dfferent.

If you must stay with Jaguar then download and install the GimpPrint printer drivers and GhostScript. There you will find a huge list of drivers, maybe even a driver for your new printer. This printer driver system was added to 10.3 and 10.4.

I think this may solve the printing problem. Jaguar, nice as it was, was not brilliant at many things.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
The older version does what I need it to do. When I eventually get a new Mac, which the kids can't wait for but was postponed due to not getting any tax return last year (there's a war on you know) and finding out I'm losing my job, rest assured I will immediately d/l and use the latest Neo.

Question? If NeoOffice is FREE Open Source software for the, Mac Why not upgrade?? So many problems have been resolved with vseion 1.1.
I understand about money and losing jobs but I'm confused why that would stop you from using NeoOffice/J 1.1, Jaguar 10.2x and GhostScript with GimpPrint to get the best out of printing.
I got with GhostScript with GimpPrint when I had Jaguar and it resolved many MANY printing problems. See Gimp-Print for Mac OS X (10.2 and later).

Philip (Using Open Source and Loving it! Wink )
kcavaliere
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Old OS's and software...

I spend a bit of time at the Apple forums and I'm a bit surprised at the amount of people that simply do not upgrade anything, ever, no matter what the cost, even free. I'm not passing judgement, per se. For whatever reason, skills, finances, needs, whatever, I'm sure there's a reason.

There is a time to move on/move up. For instance, I just donated my original iMac Bondi. Yup, a fine and functional, 233mhz, 256mb ram, 6mb video ram, 30gb hard drive, OS9.2.2 computer. I hadn't booted it up in a year. Time to move on. I just ordered up an iMac (PPC-I got it at a nice price) since this iBook is getting on in years. If I break down the cost over the years of ownership, it's a few bucks a week.

NeoOffice (and to be fair, OpenOffice) are modern, forward thinking programs. They are theoretically free but actually deserve financial support. There's only so much anyone can expect of anything for "free". This holds particularly true for anyone using the "free" AppleWorks or "free" Microsoft Works or the "free OS" that came preinstalled on their computers. At some point "free" is not so, well, free.

For those on a truly tight budget, there's always Linux and OpenOffice. Ubuntu PPC comes to mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject:

Good point LA. Thanks for the input KC. I had GimpPrint and GhostPrint installed before but accidentally deleted them. Here's where I'm at right now. I went head and reinstalled OO_o ver. 1.0.1 (OpenOffice.org) that I had on .dmg to get "spadmin" back (thank goodness that was in a folder on my HD and not in the Applications Folder. I had accidentally swapped out apps during a period of non-booting and botched A&I OS reinstall attempts a while back and lost a whole bunch of apps and have gradually been reinstalling to get them back. Anyway, OO_o prints from the Canon (or at least the test page did, arrgh, if I had know the test page was going to use color like that, Iwould have just used a B&W text document to test. Already paranoid that I'll be replacing ink cartridges seeming monthly for the Canon like I had to for the Epson. I read that's just a fact of life for inkjet printers. Let's hope the Canon isn't as bad) using the Generic print driver (sgenprt)(command = lpr -P M130) Anyway, since this troublshooting is explained at the trinity.neoofice.com site under FAQs, I figured this would mean Neo would also now print. No dice. Still no stnd doc in the Print Center que/document printing box. Anyway, I at least have printing out of OO_0 under X11 back. I remember playing a lot with the Epson drivers in spadmin to get it to print when I first installed OO_o originally bit don't remember having to play with spadmin to get Neo/J to print. I'll keep playing... I'll let you know how I make out. Then again maybe I'll just call it a day, upgrade Neo or not and just use OO_o in X11, or AbiWordX or AW. Remember, this is my older G4 FP iMac and I'm normally a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kinda guy. Having said that. I get bored, impatient, whatever and play and break things anyway. I think KC nailed it with 10.2 just wasn't good at printing. But I never really had printing problems to the point I couldn't print from other programs, it was always YOU ARE OUT OF INK, WHAT?!! I JUST REPLACED THE G*D D*MNED CARTRIDGE. OH, NOW IT'S THE OTHER COLOR!!!!!!!! Hence the switch to the Canon since I thought they made printers for Apple and my old Apple Color StyleWriter 1500 printer cartridges seemed to last a long time.Wink
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

The only thing I remember about printing problems in 0.7.x is listed here.

Frankly, since NeoOffice/J 1.1 is 1) still available, either via download or by CD 2) still supported for users of Mac OS X 10.2.8 and 3) significantly more performant and significantly less buggy than Neo/J 0.7 or Neo/J 0.7.1 (please tell me you're at least using the latter; I had such trouble with 0.7 that I gave up on Neo/J until 0.7.1 came out), I hope you will seriously consider moving to Neo/J 1.1. It seems like that migration would be a lot easier than fighting with Neo/J 0.7 and all the quirks you have now.

(Also, it would be nice if you didn't keep hijacking other threads with 0.7 issues; not only that, but in this case even printing in general is completely unrelated to the original issue in this post. When new people post a question about something in 1.1 or 1.2a/b and you pop in with a comment or question about 0.7, it gets confusing. In this case, it's hard to tell if the original poster actually got helped or not Sad I understand that you're trying to be helpful, and lord knows the more people handling support queries the better, but at some point tips based on 0.7 become more of a confusion or distraction than they help. Thanks. I'm going to split this topic....)

Smokey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

kc said:

"This holds particularly true for anyone using the "free" AppleWorks or "free" Microsoft Works or the "free OS" that came preinstalled on their computers. At some point "free" is not so, well, free. "

Amen, one thing learned with age is that there is truly no "free lunch" out there. Someone, somewhere is paying for it. In the case of Apple sw, you pay a lot up front for the hw to run that "free" included sw. H*ll, you don't even get free AW anymore with the push to the paid iWorks suite.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Old OS's and software...

<RANT WARNING IN EFFECT>

kcavaliere wrote:
I spend a bit of time at the Apple forums and I'm a bit surprised at the amount of people that simply do not upgrade anything, ever, no matter what the cost, even free. I'm not passing judgement, per se. For whatever reason, skills, finances, needs, whatever, I'm sure there's a reason.

Maybe they got that high $$$ (currency here) machine at a yard sale, the thrift shop (I've even seen Apple IIe's there) or from a friend that upgraded, etc. and don't have the monies to add memory, change hard drives, put in a new video card, whatever. Thus, they have to run what they got when the system was handed to them. If all they can run is Neo 0.7.1, then that is what they have to run. I know of folks running Mac OS9 solely because they cannot afford to get the memory to run Mac OS X.

kcavaliere wrote:

There is a time to move on/move up. For instance, I just donated my original iMac Bondi. Yup, a fine and functional, 233mhz, 256mb ram, 6mb video ram, 30gb hard drive, OS9.2.2 computer. I hadn't booted it up in a year. Time to move on. I just ordered up an iMac (PPC-I got it at a nice price) since this iBook is getting on in years. If I break down the cost over the years of ownership, it's a few bucks a week.

I was one of those who chased the 'latest and greatest' for a while. I figure that I dropped maybe USD 25K before I came to my senses and decided that if IBM sold it on eBay, that is when I could afford to get it. Yes, I bought IBM refurbished systems with a full three year warrenty. I then bought the next system when it ran out. When the last one ran out, I decided to get off of the Linux treadmill (yes, I removed M$ from them by buying a new hard drive, removing the original hard drive and putting it in a safe place) and switched to Apple. I will wait until a 'dual-core' desktop is introduced and then I might (read MIGHT) buy one.

kcavaliere wrote:
NeoOffice (and to be fair, OpenOffice) are modern, forward thinking programs. They are theoretically free but actually deserve financial support. There's only so much anyone can expect of anything for "free". This holds particularly true for anyone using the "free" AppleWorks or "free" Microsoft Works or the "free OS" that came preinstalled on their computers. At some point "free" is not so, well, free.

Actually, OpenOffice is built on very old technology. It has roots back to the early 1990's (and that is very old by computer standards). The vcl slop needs to go and be buried. However, for a cross platform program it is very well designed. You have a good point, OpenOffice.org and by extension, NeoOffice, work well and perform their task superbly for a 'free' program. Of course, OpenOffice.org enjoys the support and indirect sponsorship of Sun Microsystems. Patrick/Ed/Dan and the rest of the NeoOffice 'gang of builders/testers/developers' depend on the fact that folks WERE sponsoring development at a rate that Patrick could work more than full time on NeoOffice and the rest of us enjoy our family's putting up with our building/testing/bug finding efforts. However, 'free' software is only as good as its sponsorship. Recent events testify to this.

kcavaliere wrote:
For those on a truly tight budget, there's always Linux and OpenOffice. Ubuntu PPC comes to mind.

You still have to get a system that is 'good enough' to run Linux on it. This rules out very old or marginal hardware. Linux is necessarily harder on hardware than most other OSs. Thus if you cannot run Mac OS X on your hardware, don't try running a full install Linux.

</RANT>

My suggestion is: Get a recent system that was abandoned by its owner in favor of newer hardware (I can name one store in Tucson, Arizona USA that does this.) The hardware is tested/cleaned/fixed so that it will support at least what it did when it was sold and it is possible with a minimal investment to get it to the point where it will run Ubuntu/Mac OS X. Then you can add NeoOffice/OpenOffice.org on top of this.

In any case, do not assume that the person complaining has the financial means to improve their hardware to the point where it will run current programs. This is considered rude and can place you in a situation you don't want to be in (i.e. YOU BUY IT FOR THEM.)

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2