Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How to make character formatting do characters, not words
How to make character formatting do characters, not words

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gisborne
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: How to make character formatting do characters, not words

It drives me batty because of the way I use keyboard shortcuts that the keyboards shortcuts for character formatting -- bold, italic -- apply to an entire word rather than the current character.

In case you care, I *want* to do this to italicise a word as I type it: Cmd-I word Cmd-I space. But since Cmd-I applies to the whole word, the second Cmd-I *un*italicizes the word.

Drives me batty. Can't find a way to turn it off -- looked through prefs, the help, searched the forums, tried google...

It's either not there, or hidden in a way that the developers at microshaft would be proud of.

Please help, if you can.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Welcome

Hi and Welcome. I think you'll find that people ar every helpful here. I'm not sure what you mean. You can turn italics and bold etc off just as you would in Word or TextEdit or whatever. Do you mean word?
You would do Cmd-I wo Cmd-I rd. Are you pressing the space bar? Why?

Peter
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject:

What version of NeoOffice are you using (including patch number) on what version of OSX? Typing using cmd-I to toggle italics on/off at character level works fine for me in v2.0 Aqua Beta 3 patch #14.

Even if you're using an up-to-date version, occasionally, corrupted preferences can cause weird behaviour too, so you might try quitting NeoOffice, temporarily moving your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x folder (if you're using v2.x) to your desktop, relaunching NeoOffice (which will create a fresh set of preferences) and seeing if your italics behaviour is now as it should be. Let us know what happens...

- padmavyuha
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject:

if you put the cursor on a word and press cmd-i will put in italic all the word. If you want to do that only for a character on a word, select the character and cmd-i...

If you are using NeoOffice on another language the keyboard shortcut may change (in spanish is cmd-k)

Hoping that it can help!
Rodrigo
Fredrik Stendahl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject:

I see what you want to do. As you are typing along you want to type the specific 'upcoming' word in italics directly, not having to edit the word after the sentence has been completed.

Now I tried to do this myself. Typing words in standard formatting, pressing command-I as I start typing the word that is to be in italics, again pressing command-I to end the italics and continue to type the following words in standard formatting. It works as expected - It first turns italics on and the second off at the insertion point. At the second command-I press the word in itallics is still in italics.

This is where the behaviour you are describing is not the same as the one I have. In your case, at the second command-I press the word just typed in italics is changed to plain text. This is odd. I have no explanation.

My setup: Aqua beta 3 patch 14. Tiger 10.4.8, PPC PowerMac G4, using java 1.5.0-0.7. Swedish locale, both computer and Neo. Auto-text in Neo turned off.

I hope someone else has better insights in what is causing your problem.
Fredrik Stendahl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject:

Sorry to correct myself.

In my setup spec: The auto text in Neo is actually on, not off - not that I think this really has any bearing on the problem.

F
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Just a thought : have you tried Cmd-I word space Cmd-I ?
gisborne
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Adendum: only happens in front of a non-space char

I am using b3 Patch 14.

More specifics about the behavior: if I am inserting text in front of a space, it works fine. Cmd-IwordCmd-I gives me word in italics.

But if I'm trying to insert a word and a space in front of a non-space character, then the second Cmd-I turns italics off for the whole word.

First: in what world does that behavior make sense?

Second: I'd like to be able to turn this behavior off. If I want to apply character formatting to multiple characters, let me select them first. With nothing selected, character formatting should apply to the next character I type.

Any ideas? Feature request?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Adendum: only happens in front of a non-space char

gisborne wrote:
First: in what world does that behavior make sense?

Windows.

Not that it makes much *sense*, but the Windows model of selection is crazy and drives me insane, and it considers the leading or trailing edge of characters part of a word, and other such insanities.

I'm all but certain this is an OOo bug due to its use of Windows-only text selection behaviors Sad

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1