Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Cut and Paste Rows and Columns?
Cut and Paste Rows and Columns?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Cut and Paste Rows and Columns?

I am really warming up to NeoOffice and my Mac, but the one area I've run across where the difference between MS Office and NeoOffice is how NO handles the cutting and pasting of rows and columns.

In Excel, one can highlight an entire row (or column), do a cut, then highlight another row (or column), right click and be offered the ability to to an "insert row (column)."

If you haven't done this, what it does is give you a very quick and easy way to move a row or column within a set of data. I think it may also allow you to click and drag the highlighted row or column to a new location, but I'm not sure.

So, is there a way to do this in NO without inserting a new row (column), cutting the old row (column), pasting into the new row (column), then deleting the old row (column)??

Thanks!
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject:

You should be able to do the column insert with a two step operation:

1. Click column header to selet entire column.
  2. Edit > Copy (or Edit > Cut if you want to clear the column)
  3. Place cell selection where new column is desired.
  4. Insert > Columns. Note this inserts a column to the "left" of the one containing the cell selection.
  5. Edit > Paste

That should put the old column contents into a new column

Another way of duplicatinging the column should be drag and drop:

1. Click column header to select entire column.
  2. Go to black cell selection border at the top cell of the column. Place cursor in the thick border.
  3. Click-hold and drag. The cursor will change to a grippy "hand" during the drag operation.
  4. Move column until it is in the proper location. Release mouse button. Note that this will overwrite all contents of the drop location.

ed
coit
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject:

I did find the functionality you mention, its just that this process takes much longer than the Excel way when you are doing multiple moves.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:

You may want to suggest the shortcut as a feature for the OpenOffice.org team. Unfortunately, the current scope of the NeoOffice project is limited by resources to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X, and adding OpenOffice.org features is currently outside that scope.

You can add the request to the OpenOffice.org issue tracker to get it on the radar of the core OpenOffice.org developers:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Meanwhile the OpenOffice macro CellMover may be the answer to your current prayers... it works fine, I have assigned keyboard shorcuts such as cmd-shift-L for 'move selected column left one column'. The macro also has options to just swap selected cells left/right/up/down as well as whole rows/columns. Takes a little getting used to, but works well.

- padmavyuha
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1