Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Layout options and Handouts in NeoOffice Impress
Layout options and Handouts in NeoOffice Impress

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lullaby_lune
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Layout options and Handouts in NeoOffice Impress

I have two problems in particular:

QUESTION #1: Handout View

When looking at a presentation, if I switch to the Handout view, the slides themselves do not show up. I can insert headers, footers and page numbers in the slides and Notes, but not in the handout section. All I see is a blank page (Portrait or Landscape) with dotted lines outlining where the slides, headings, page numbers, etc should be.

Since the other views (Outlines, Notes, Slide Order) all show the content of my slides, I expect the content should also show up in the Handout view. Help?

QUESTION #2: Handouts in Print Options

When I look at the print options in Impress, my options are no different than in NeoOffice Writer.
I want to specifically print "handouts", but the closest thing is an option under "Layout" for number of slides per page. (options are: 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 16)

I have checked the Help files, and it references a "Handout" and "Notes" section within the Print options. I do not have these sections, and there is no viewer that shows me a preview of my print job.

On top of this, I seem to be having the same problems as this person in regards to layout options (right-left, top-bottom) for printing the slides:
https://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7029&start=0

Has anyone else encountered this?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Layout options and Handouts in NeoOffice Impress

lullaby_lune wrote:
QUESTION #1: Handout View

Since the other views (Outlines, Notes, Slide Order) all show the content of my slides, I expect the content should also show up in the Handout view. Help?

This is not the case with the Handout view. The header and footer information will show but the slides themselves are represented with an outline.

lullaby_lune wrote:
QUESTION #2: Handouts in Print Options

I have checked the Help files, and it references a "Handout" and "Notes" section within the Print options. I do not have these sections, and there is no viewer that shows me a preview of my print job.

To print handouts of your Impress presentation select the menu File :: Printer Settings menu and in the Print Options dialog that appears, check the Handouts check box and uncheck other checkboxes, press OK, and then press Cancel in the next dialog (to avoid changing the paper size of your document.)

Then select the File :: Print menu and select the Preview button. Do you see the slide handouts? You can print these from the Preview window.

Once you try these steps does that allow you to print the handouts?

--fran

p.s. I forgot to mention these are steps for NeoOffice 3.0. The procedure is different in NeoOffice 2.2.5. Are you are using NeoOffice 2.2.5?
lullaby_lune
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks and further questions

This does help!

I did try that before, but the presentation I was printing had a format with a black backround and white text. The background prints, but it's empty. The white text does NOT print. (I have noticed there are other threads about this problem). If I change to a lighter background with dark text, this is no longer a problem.

THE GOOD NEWS:
The steps you mentioned allow me to print 6 slides per page, ordered properly, left to right and top to bottom, with the layout:
1 2
3 4
5 6

THE BAD NEWS:
It still will only print 6 slides per page. (Or even numbers multiplied by 6, such as 12, 24, 36, etc... depending on what I choose under "Layout" in the print dialogue.)
In the handout view I can see the options I want to choose from, but regardless of which one I click on, the only layout I get when I print is 6 slides per page. (I want the option with three slides per page and lines on the right for taking notes)

The Help files tell me there should be a "Handout" section in the print dialogue. I have a Layout section, but no "Handout" section in the regular print dialogue.
What should I be doing here?

The version I'm using is Impress 3.0 + Patch 2, on an Intel Mac running OS X 10.4.11.
I've attached a quick 5-slide "practice" ppt file I created and have been using to test the print options.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks and further questions

lullaby_lune wrote:
In the handout view I can see the options I want to choose from, but regardless of which one I click on, the only layout I get when I print is 6 slides per page. (I want the option with three slides per page and lines on the right for taking notes)

I can reproduce this as well and I will post later when I have some more information.

lullaby_lune wrote:
The Help files tell me there should be a "Handout" section in the print dialogue. I have a Layout section, but no "Handout" section in the regular print dialogue.
What should I be doing here?

This is a bug in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org Help. We have already filed Issue 91478, No means to access Print Options dialog in OpenOffice.org's Issue Tracker regarding this.

The Help files in NeoOffice are drawn from OpenOffice.org and the OpenOffice.org Help writers generally write for OpenOffice.org windows since that is their main platform. When there is a change that affects Mac only sometimes the change is not made in OpenOffice.org's Help files. That is the case here.

--fran
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks and further questions

narf wrote:
lullaby_lune wrote:

I can reproduce this as well and I will post later when I have some more information.

I can also reproduce this in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 code so I dusted off my Windows XP machine and tried to print in OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 on that machine.

What I found is that on Windows, OpenOffice.org's print dialog has a dropdown list where you select the number of slides on each page when printing handouts. Apparently, when Sun Microsystems' OpenOffice.org engineers added this option in OpenOffice.org 3.0, they forgot that the Windows print dialog is not displayed on non-Windows machines and that option will never be seen. Also, since OpenOffice.org no longer uses the handout layout that you selected in the document window and only uses what is selected in the Windows print dialog, you get the Windows print dialog's default value of six slides per page.

Although we do not normally fix OpenOffice.org bugs, this one only affects Mac OS X and, hopefully, is not too hard for us to fix. So, narf has created bug bug 3464 to track the progress of this bug.

We will post when we have some progress to report.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject:

After two full days of trying different approaches, I finally found a way to display the missing print options. What now happens is that when you are in Impress and select the File :: Printer Settings menu, the Print Options dialog will appear like before. However, the Contents section (the section with the Handout checkbox) is no longer in that dialog. Instead, when you press the OK button, a new Print Content dialog will appear that has all of the options that are in OpenOffice.org's Windows version that were missing in their Mac OS X version.

I have posted links to a test patch in my last post in bug 3464. Can you copy the applicable link into your web browser, install the test patch, and tell us if you can set the the number of slides to print per handout page in the new dialog?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1