· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OpenOffice.org on Apple Developer Connection
OpenOffice.org on Apple Developer Connection

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice.org on Apple Developer Connection

I was browisng ADC this morning as I always do (it's always open on my computer as I need the referenes here at work) and saw this new article posted:

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/runningx11.html

If you scroll towards the bottom, you'll see a section devoted to OpenOffice.org including download links, screenshots and the like and even a reminder that OSS projects need help! There's a minor snafu as the installer will work on either 10.2 or 10.3 but the article mentions a 10.3 requirement.

Regardless, it's still very cool Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
There's a minor snafu as the installer will work on either 10.2 or 10.3 but the article mentions a 10.3 requirement.

And the nice "lie" that "OpenOffice file formats are not necessarily compatible with their commercial counterparts"--which is a real lie when you consider they are 100% compatible with the file formats used in StarOffice Smile

Still, as you say, nice to see Apple plugging OOo and the need for more developers Smile

Plus, you made MacInTouch today. Can't wait to see the firestorm now that the timeline update has hit the mainstream Mac media....

MacInTouch wrote:
Edward Peterlin has posted a status update on open-source alternatives to Microsoft Office:

It's been over a year and a half since this page was last updated, and as of recent memory, all engineering for OpenOffice.org Mac OS X has been focused on X11 graphics, that is, OpenOffice.org Mac OS X (X11). Without significant contributions of time and talent this will most likely remain the case.
No engineering work has been performed on Quartz or Aqua development within the OpenOffice.org project since mid 2003. For the last year and a half all engineering work focusing on a native Mac OS X OpenOffice.org version has been concentrated in the NeoOffice/J project, using a combination of Java and Carbon technologies to replace X11.

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject:

I see MacInTouch and MacFixIt finally found that ADC article today Smile
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject:

The delay may be because MacCentral/MacWorld News just picked it up yesterday. That may have been the trigger that got it echoed onto /. and several of the other mac news sites.

Go exposure for X11!! There's some truly great X11 software out there including professional products like MATLAB. It's always been personally frustrating to me that people write things off just because they're X11. Hopefully this might begin to change their minds Wink

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject:

That was not too bad of a /. discussion; you even got a useful suggestion out of it. And I got a chuckle out of seeing my name in "print" there. Smile (It's the closest any of my work will ever come to being /.ed!)

Smokey

Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject:

I saw this on /.

I wrote to ADC asking that they put the Apple X11 beta 3 back up for 10.2.x users with all the reasons that it is a real good idea. For Apple and for users. I have never had a problem with Apple X11 and it is much easier to install and use than the alternative.

No I am not holding my breath...

I am getting OOo 1.1.2 X11 into one of my clients to replace AppleWorks 6 and maybe MS Office. All the machines except one are running 10.2.x and they will not be upgraded because there is no budget. They will last for a while and are perfectly up to the task they are there for in the first place. First reason for choosing OOo over the others is that we can pull data down from the intranet PostgreSQL database. Second reason it fits the budget. Third I want all my clients to come clean and get rid of illegal software on their machines.

There are a couple of G4 iMacs with enough RAM to run Neo/J. But then we run into this "standardisation" thing where the client wants all the same software and versions on all machines. I have enough trouble stopping them using Entourage and IE... As for the two machines still running OS 9...

Things are moving forward!

Tony
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
That was not too bad of a /. discussion; you even got a useful suggestion out of it.

I was actually surprised at how useful that whole article's /. comments were in general. Perhaps being specifically about X11 it kept away the "OpenOffice.org suxors!" losers Wink

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject:

kiwi wrote:
I wrote to ADC asking that they put the Apple X11 beta 3 back up for 10.2.x users with all the reasons that it is a real good idea.

The biggest thing is that hopefully they'll put back up the installers for beta 2 and not 3. Beta 3 has window positioning bugs that cause the window "creep". They only existed in beta 3; not in beta 2 nor Panther Final.

I do have .pkgs of the various betas, but can't make them publicly available for obvious reasons Wink

ed
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Old story?

Sorry to revive an old topic, but I get the ADC update news emails, and it always irks me that OpenOffice.org X11 is an editor's choice there, but NeoOffice is never mentioned. Does NeoOffice not meet their definition of Open Source?
P
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject:

Yes, but NeoOffice has been in the top 20 downloads at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/ for at least a few days now Smile. I suppose we win the popular vote...

-Oz
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the link, I had not checked Apple's list. Cool

Philip ( LMT(N)CR Wink )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Old story?

aussie149 wrote:
Sorry to revive an old topic, but I get the ADC update news emails, and it always irks me that OpenOffice.org X11 is an editor's choice there, but NeoOffice is never mentioned. Does NeoOffice not meet their definition of Open Source?

This is probably because of where Neo is listed in the apple software guide. OOo's within the "UNIX & Open Source" category (the one that goes into ADC e-mails) while Neo's in the "Productivity Tools" category. The ADC e-mails never irked me...real programmers type everything in emacs or vi anyway Laughing

ed
TheoCryst
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Old story?

OPENSTEP wrote:
real programmers type everything in emacs or vi anyway Laughing

Yes, but the question is: which one?

/ducks
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject:

Easy way is to check if the label on the control key has faded...

ed = emacs
patrick = vi

Go figure Wink Now the real question is whether emacs counts as an operating system...

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1