· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - localizations
localizations

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: localizations

As far as I know there is no localization for Latvian language (as for many others I suppose) neither in NeoOffice nor in OOo. How is localization made and is there a way how I as not a programmer can help to bring localization to existence?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: localizations

bezvardis wrote:
As far as I know there is no localization for Latvian language (as for many others I suppose) neither in NeoOffice nor in OOo. How is localization made and is there a way how I as not a programmer can help to bring localization to existence?

Well, the folks at OOo are doing a great number of localizations. Try the resources at http://development.openoffice.org/#LOCALIZE and see if you can help there.

The localizations for Neo are basically repackaged data for OOo and therefore limited by what is available for OOo. Patrick can't make a language pack that includes Latvian until OpenOffice.org makes it available.

In the mean time, there is a localization pack that includes Estonian and Lithuanian. I do not know to what extent either of these is similar to Latvian or how far along a Latvian localization is, but I am sure you can mail someone to find out the latter.

bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: localizations

ovvldc wrote:

In the mean time, there is a localization pack that includes Estonian and Lithuanian. I do not know to what extent either of these is similar to Latvian or how far along a Latvian localization is, but I am sure you can mail someone to find out the latter.

Thanks, will do that. Yes - Estonian is totally different and Lithuanian not comprehensible for Latvians either. That is why they cannot be used. Not to say that for very many computer users in Latvia, Latvian localizations are also barely comprehensible due to ample quantity of new terms that are used in localizations Wink
sjolit
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: localizations

ovvldc wrote:
In the mean time, there is a localization pack that includes Estonian and Lithuanian.

I don't know why Lithuanian was included at all as there are no resources for it (they have developed localized versions for Windows and Linux, leaving others out in the cold). Same problem with other languages that don't seem to exist in the OO tree.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: localizations

sjolit wrote:
ovvldc wrote:
In the mean time, there is a localization pack that includes Estonian and Lithuanian.

I don't know why Lithuanian was included at all as there are no resources for it (they have developed localized versions for Windows and Linux, leaving others out in the cold). Same problem with other languages that don't seem to exist in the OO tree.

Time to lobby the folks who did the translation to donate it to the OOo tree Very Happy

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1