Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Praise for Language support: South-East Asian & Indic la
Praise for Language support: South-East Asian & Indic la

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Praise for Language support: South-East Asian & Indic la

The following report comes from a very well informed source, who tested NeoOffice/J (with language extentions) for an enormous variety of not-officially supported languages, including Khmer (Cambdoian), which is one of the most problematic for OSX. This sounds very impressive --especially compared to the limited abilities of Apple's own software in these languages.
-----------------
It took me 35 minutes to download this with DSL but it was well worth the effort. This is very promising indeed! I was able to type simple sentences in every scriipt on my computer which includes some not so official implementations of Unicode scripts that aren't officially in Unicode yet. Even more impressive, it handles all of the issues in Khmer properly in spite of the fact that Apple says a bug in the OS prevenets other apps from doing so. I never understood why WorldText could handle Khmer but no other application. At any rate I tried all of the sequences that curently create problems in other apps and everything works quite nicely. I can also create PDF files properly (which was another problem with the OS X/apps).

The only problem that was obvious is that it can't handle items that get transposed, like the /-e/ vowel in so many Indic scripts. But that's okay because I have generally been able to work around that with other features. Looking forward to finding more time to work with this.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Anyone else working on/with South-East Asian languages?

If anyone else is working in S.E.A. languages (Sinhalese, Burmese, Thai, Lao, Khmer... etc.) in NeoOffice/J, or is actively developing language support for them, I would be extremely interested to get in touch --or hear about your progress/struggles in this forum.
sjolit
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject:

You can start by checking the supported languages and groups developing the translations at

http://l10n.openoffice.org/languages.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject:

Yes indeed, however,

(1) I was hoping that this forum might be a good place for feedback from testers/users who can write in English. Several of the websites are (understandably) dedicated to their native tongue. For example, the Laotian page seems to have a great deal of information ... however, it is in Lao.

(2) I was hoping for feedback and reviews specific to NeoOffice/J, and the sites branching off from the general languages page cited are for the whole OOo.org universe.

I've just been told that a little work will be needed before Burmese works properly ... all very interesting.
fa
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, I've grafted Tamil and Gujarati into OOo 1.1.2 & 1.1.3 for Red Hat/Fedora Core (which will not ever be upstream for the 1.1.x series of builds) and I have a patchset which will greatly help users of these languages. If Patrick would like to integrate them and apply the translations, I'd be more than happy to work with him on that.

The first part is a number of patches that add ta_IN and gu_IN support to OOo as recognized languages, fix up some stuff in i18npool and i18n-util, and then patch transex3 to actually accept the .gsi files.

Dan
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject:

fa wrote:
transex3

Waay offtopic, but each time I see this module name fly by the screen I keep thinking about the type of sick mind it took to name the "finger" command and have to laugh...

ed <--- easily amused
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Praise for Language support: South-East Asian & Indi

Anonymous wrote:
The only problem that was obvious is that it can't handle items that get transposed, like the /-e/ vowel in so many Indic scripts. But that's okay because I have generally been able to work around that with other features. Looking forward to finding more time to work with this.

This is a very old thread, but since we're referencing it in the Feature Comparison, I just wanted to clarify that the transposition issue with Indic scripts was fixed in one of the early Release Candidate patches (patch-2 maybe?) Smile

Now that 10.4 comes with support for Tamil (and already supports Gujurati), Dan's patches might be something interesting to consider for Neo/J 1.5....

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Praise for Language support: South-East Asian & Indi

sardisson wrote:
This is a very old thread, but since we're referencing it in the Feature Comparison, I just wanted to clarify that the transposition issue with Indic scripts was fixed in one of the early Release Candidate patches (patch-2 maybe?) Smile

Input of Indic characters was reported in bug 643 and fixed in Neo/J 1.1 RC Patch-1.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1