Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - No State field in User Data?
No State field in User Data?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doneitner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: No State field in User Data?

One thing I've noticed in NeoOffice/J is that in the Tools > Options dialog, for User Data there is no field for State (or province, etc.). Is this intentional?

I'm running NeoOffice/J 1.1 Beta Patch 9 at the moment. Running on MacOS X 10.3.8 US-English.

By the way, keep up the great work! Much nicer than the X11 version and it works very well. I have made one of the small donations and hope to be able to make another soon to help with development.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: No State field in User Data?

doneitner wrote:
One thing I've noticed in NeoOffice/J is that in the Tools > Options dialog, for User Data there is no field for State (or province, etc.). Is this intentional?

That is weird - I've just looked at all the versions I have access to today, and OOo X11 versions 1.1.2 and 1.9.83 (wobbly pre-release) both have city/state/zip on the User Data page, whereas Neo/J based on 1.1.3 has only zip/city. Does anyone have another native 1.1.3 to look at to compare this?

- yoxi
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject:

Neo/J and OOo show this field if your preferred language is U.S. English. Since most English speaking user like me set their preferred language to just "English", the OOo code is not sure which country you are in and hides the state/province field.

To display the state/province field, set your preferred language to "U.S. English, British English, etc.) in the System Preferences application.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject:

Patrick, my System Prefs were set to British English already, and OOo X11 1.1.2 and 1.9.83 both show city/state/zip one one line, but NeoJ only shows zip/city.

All three versions have their language & locale set to UK English. Something's not right somewhere, but where?

- yoxi
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject:

You are assuming that OOo X11 has the automatic locale detection feature that Neo/J has. It does not. OOo X11 was distributed with only U.S. English support. When you install OOo X11, you get one locale and one locale only: U.S. English.

Furthermore, because OOo X11 is not a native Mac OS X application, System Preferences have absolutely no effect as OOo X11 cannot detect such preferences.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject:

Oh, wait a minute - when you wrote:
pluby wrote:
To display the state/province field, set your preferred language to "U.S. English, British English, etc.) in the System Preferences application.

I assumed that you were saying that one of those had to be at the head of the System Prefs list (as opposed to just "English") - did you in fact mean that "US English" HAS to be at the top of the list for the state field to be displayed? Because it isn't being displayed with "British English" as the first choice - maybe NeoJ doesn't know that we have counties over here that are the equivalent of a US state (from the postal point of view, at least).

In any case, thanks for clearing up the difference between OOo X11 and NeoJ on the locale front.

- yoxi
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
You are assuming that OOo X11 has the automatic locale detection feature that Neo/J has. It does not. OOo X11 was distributed with only U.S. English support. When you install OOo X11, you get one locale and one locale only: U.S. English.

I wasn't assuming that, as it happens, I was assuming we were talking about the item in the Options-Language Settings-Languages section, where I have chosen Locale Setting: English (UK). I added UK English support such as I could find to add, dictionary and so on, after installing OOo X11. From what you've been saying, this is presumably completely irrelevant to the state field issue, then.

- yoxi
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject:

Yes. This is irrelevant. When I say "system locale", it is the locale of your machine within the limits that OOo can detect, not the document locale preference.

In Mac OS X, determining your machine's locale is fairly easy if your application is a native application bundle. However, for command line applications like OOo X11, determining this item is very difficult and requires hacky means.

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject:

Okay, so what exactly is required before NeoJ will display System Locale-specific User Data fields (apart from US English)?

Are you saying that OOo in any (mac) flavour just doesn't have support for non-US varieties in the User Data area - that if it ain't US, it's generic? Sorry if I'm being thick about this, I just can't get it clear from the previous posts.

I have British English as my only System Language and I'm just getting zip/city in my NeoJ User Data, where city/state/zip would at least be more useful (if not the locale-specific city/county/postcode).

- yoxi
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I have British English as my only System Language and I'm just getting zip/city in my NeoJ User Data, where city/state/zip would at least be more useful (if not the locale-specific city/county/postcode).

You need to set your preferred language to U.S. English. OOo assumes that other English-speaking countries do not have states.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
You need to set your preferred language to U.S. English. OOo assumes that other English-speaking countries do not have states.

That's a doozy of an i18n bug!

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Sigh... yes, we're all so tiny that our countries only really qualify as states compared to the great E Pluribus Unicorn - though of course Austraila has yer actual states even if Brtain doesn't.

I will remain British and put up with the inconvenience. Nothing to get into a state over...

- yoxi
DonEitner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: The state is in

Thanks. After finding US English in the list of langauges, I have moved it to the top and now NeoOffice/J correctly shows the State field. Thank you very much!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1