NeoOffice :: View topic - Also can't get it to install
Also can't get it to install

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject:

I want to know the absolute path of your tar command. In other words, execute the "which tar" command in a terminal.

Patrick
tomek_wap
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject:

/sw/bin/tar

Ubuntu 5 PPC | OS X 10.3.9 | G4 1.25Ghz | 768mb RAM | ATI R9200 + G3 233mhz | 288mb RAM
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject:

tomek_wap wrote:
/sw/bin/tar

There is the source of your problem as well as why "Patch-3" displays the "cannot install in this computer" message. /sw/bin/tar is not the Mac OS X version of tar. Instead it is a copy of tar installed by another application (e.g. Fink).

In Panther, the tar command is installed in /usr/bin/tar and is part of the "BaseSystem" package (which explains why reinstalling the "BSD" package didn't help.

Can you run the following terminal command and post the output? This will tell us if Apple decided to move or remove the tar command from their 10.4 release:

Code:
lsbom /Library/Receipts/BasePackage.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom | grep tar

Patrick
tomek_wap
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject:

got his:

can't open /Library/Receipts/BasePackage.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom: No such file or directory
**** Can't open /Library/Receipts/BasePackage.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom

Looks like BasePackage is not on my system. But seems that it still wasnt when i have installed all of the Dev. Tools.

Ubuntu 5 PPC | OS X 10.3.9 | G4 1.25Ghz | 768mb RAM | ATI R9200 + G3 233mhz | 288mb RAM
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject:

My mistake. There was a typo in my command. Here is the correct command:
[quote="pluby"]
Code:
lsbom /Library/Receipts/BaseSystem.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom | grep tar

Patrick
tomek_wap
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject:

Too late to try it out now...

..but Ive re-installed BaseSystem again.

And I have the Tar command in the /usr/bin folder.

NeoOffice has run, so thats a progress. Perair persmissions and reboot...

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject:

...and install "Patch-3". Wink

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I have had this happen with the past 2 updates. I open the package and delete the two check apps, and it then installs fine form the GUI.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
I have had this happen with the past 2 updates. I open the package and delete the two check apps, and it then installs fine form the GUI.

You delete the check scripts from the Neo/J installer? That is a bit scary as Neo/J absolutely needs those commands to run properly.

Patrick
tomek_wap
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject:

well so much of neo office...

rebooted and OS would not log in!!!

somethiing went really wrong after installing that basesystem package.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject:

tomek_wap wrote:
somethiing went really wrong after installing that basesystem package.

The BaseSystem package is used by most of Mac OS X's core services so it probably gets updated with each Mac OS X Security Update so I would guess that reinstalling the BaseSystem package leaves the machine in a half-updated state.

Your safest bet would be to rerun the Mac OS X installation from the CD instead of trying to guess which packages the BaseSystem package is out of sync with.

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
tomek_wap wrote:
/sw/bin/tar

There is the source of your problem as well as why "Patch-3" displays the "cannot install in this computer" message. /sw/bin/tar is not the Mac OS X version of tar. Instead it is a copy of tar installed by another application (e.g. Fink).

In Panther, the tar command is installed in /usr/bin/tar and is part of the "BaseSystem" package (which explains why reinstalling the "BSD" package didn't help.

Can you run the following terminal command and post the output? This will tell us if Apple decided to move or remove the tar command from their 10.4 release:

Code:

Patrick

He may have gotten away with simply copying the tar file in /sw/bin/ to his /usr/bin/ folder and then been able to make it work.

Unfortunately now he apparently hosed his system which some of us do from time to time while playing and/or trying to make something work.

Tomek,

what do you mean by "OS would not log in"? Are you getting the to the Log In screen itself and then it jiggles when you enter your username and password? Or is just a grey screen and the rotating tines and you never actually get to the Log In screen?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject:

"what do you mean by "OS would not log in"? Are you getting the to the Log In screen itself and then it jiggles when you enter your username and password? Or is just a grey screen and the rotating tines and you never actually get to the Log In screen?"

lon in screen shows up, it takes ages for network to be initilized, then at the end shows longin window message and it stays like that for couple of minutes, until it will show log in dialog so i can enter user/passw manually, but still it wont log me in, log in button doesnt seem to work either when i click on it, nor does shutting down, or sleep.
tomek_wap
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject:

whats gonna happen to my username account? i mean all the preferences and stuff. i guess i wont have to reinstall all applications again...cos that would be pain in the back side.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject:

tomek_wap wrote:
whats gonna happen to my username account? i mean all the preferences and stuff. i guess i wont have to reinstall all applications again...cos that would be pain in the back side.

IIRC, the installation CD gives you some options when you already have Mac OS X 10.3 installed on your system. A while back I royally messed up my own system and had to do a reinstall. I selected what appeared to be the least risky option because I didn't want to lose all of my work in my home directory. This option worked and left my home directory unchanged. I did, however, have to download and reinstall of the Mac OS X updates.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3