NeoOffice :: View topic - Also can't get it to install
Also can't get it to install

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomek_wap
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Thank you and sorry for such off topic.

Which option is better, upgrade OS X or Archive and install...

archive will copy my previous system folder to another thus making it a backup. but that would also install fresh copy of os which i guess i do not want.

upgrade should do ok shouldnt it?

UPDATE: so as Guest said "He may have gotten away with simply copying the tar file in /sw/bin/ to his /usr/bin/ folder and then been able to make it work. "
this should also work? dont wanna mess my OS again...[/b]

Ubuntu 5 PPC | OS X 10.3.9 | G4 1.25Ghz | 768mb RAM | ATI R9200 + G3 233mhz | 288mb RAM
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:

IIRC, both will put you back to Mac OS X 10.3.0. Then, after doing the install, the System Updater application will present you with all of the Mac OS X updates which you will need to install to get your system back to 10.3.9.

Just make sure that you select whichever option preserves existing users as I assume that you don't want to lose your user files.

Patrick
tomek_wap
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject:

upgrading didnt work.

so need to do archive and install.

after installation will it be ok to just copy back the previous system and home folders to replace new one? and like after reboot it should be as before?

Ubuntu 5 PPC | OS X 10.3.9 | G4 1.25Ghz | 768mb RAM | ATI R9200 + G3 233mhz | 288mb RAM
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject:

tomek_wap wrote:
after installation will it be ok to just copy back the previous system and home folders to replace new one? and like after reboot it should be as before?

It should be OK to move back the home folders but moving back the system folders will effectively undo the installation. After all, there is something wrong with your current system folders.

Patrick
tomek_wap
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Well I rather have some good news.

Did archive and install option.

It backed up essential system and home folders, including applications, library, system and all user accounts.

Then it installed new OS X, fresh install that is. And copied back the Previous System folders.

Rebooted...looks like all is in its place as before.

Well need to install few bits and pieces like firewall, and some other applications, and rest need to check if they work OK.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have been noticing that for some users, the tar command gets deleted when they upgrade to Tiger.

Since this is becoming a common occurrence, I have just removed the tar command from all of the Neo/J scripts and replaced them with the pax command. Since the Mac OS X installer tool uses the pax command, it is less likely to be missing.

This fix will be included in the next Neo/J 1.1 RC patch.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3