Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Changing the exterior color of the main window
Changing the exterior color of the main window

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject:

On the future new iBook pre-loaded with Tiger to get something like this:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/History_of_NeoOffice_and_OpenOffice.org:_NeoOffice/C

But of course! ; )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Jots down note to self before leaving work,

"Remember to work on a copy..." hehe

Who knows, thanks to dan our window to the world may have a new color(s) tomorrow!
fa
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject:

So its a bit harder than I thought because PPC is RISC. On the Intel boxes at work its all cut and dried, but PPC, using smaller instructions, gets a lot less direct in the ordering.

People want to change these bytes in libvcl645mxp.dylib to "E6" instead of "C0":

0x6CA3
0x6CB2
0x6CB3

These bytes have the R, G, and B values respectively of the color that COL_LIGHTGRAY maps to. Unfortunately, all items that have COL_LIGHTGRAY will now be whatever color we put in here. The better way would be to patch the source...
fa
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject:

After patching, the end result is:

http://www.iceni.org/~dan/neo-color-change.jpg
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject:

it works!
perfect for the messages windows and pop-up menus.

good trick!
thank you.

f.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject:

fa wrote:

Well, it's no brushed metal, but certainly an improvement!
Thanks!

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
fa wrote:

Well, it's no brushed metal, but certainly an improvement!
Thanks!

Oh no, keeped the brushed metal away. You think Win95 gray looks bad, try seeing all of Neo in brushed metal--that's a nightmare! Way too dark and heavy looking.

It's no Aqua stripes, but it's a major improvement! Dan rocks!

Can we get this color for 1.1 final, pretty please? Smile

Edit: oh, I missed the part where Dan explained it's still a bit of hackery, not a proper source-change....

LXR

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:44 am; edited 2 times in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject:

Dan's earlier off-hand comment about them ripping out the "Mac style" from 2.0...indeed, the Options: <appname>: View pane has lost the "Mac look and Feel" option in 2.0, meaning all X widgets *and* no way to remove the silly underlines in all the menu items, dialogues, etc. Sad

(At one point Patrick set the default to be the Mac style to bring a slightly more Mac-like look to Neo/J, so they're still used in 1.1.x, at least here Smile)

Presumably when everything is drawn with N*F, this will no longer matter, right?

Menus are already OK (no underlines) because of NMF, but the other N*F (whichever one gets used for drawing the preferences, for instance) also strip out all of those Windows underlines from items?

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject:

I think this gray is optimum for pop-up menu. I share some other impression:

- the wiki suggestion to use the gray 10% for background window is now counterproductive. I change it to 20% or 30% to see the difference between the windows 'border' and windows background.

- some place like icon toolbar and (above all) the sheets tabs are suffering for the gray 10%... I got the feeling icons 'swimming' in the toolbar. I don't know if it is the habit of the old gray or not.

- I like the brush, like in mellel, but I think Oo/neo icons are not suited for the brush metal look.

- the fonts in messages and configuring windows still seem to me too light... I feel fine the pop-up menu fonts, but the printing (for example) not: is the same font size?

- the scroll-bar is grey 10% too

ok, only impression to share.

f.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject:

dan's DA MAN!!!!!!!

Smokey said:

"Dan's earlier off-hand comment about them ripping out the "Mac style" from 2.0...indeed, the Options: <appname>: View pane has lost the "Mac look and Feel" option in 2.0, meaning all X widgets *and* no way to remove the silly underlines in all the menu items, dialogues, etc."

*weak rationalization approaching*

So maybe there IS some reason to stick to NeoJ ver. 0.7! Those things are still in there. (rounded buttons, no underscores in menu titles, etc.)

Anyway, I took dan's lead and went into what seemed like the equivalent library in ver. 0.7,

libvcl641.dylib

and changed the ONLY 3 locations that showed c0 (small c/zero) to e6.

001C54E0
0010E780
001F1190

Of course, this is on the ASCII side of the code which translates into 6536 entry into the Hex side. I used HexEdit instead of ResFork as ResFork is confusing with what I consider a poor searching function.

No dice. Any old timer with v 0.7 wanna confirm this?

Do you have to chuck the prefs folder in NeoJ before it kicks in? Log out and back in? Reboot?

There are a "boatload", hehe, of C0's (capital C/zero) in the lib but it seems like only those 3 locations would need to be changed like in ver 1.1.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Or am I goin' to have to settle for turning off all toolbars? ; ) Does this change need to be done in sonmething other than HexEdit (OS X) of ResEdit with the Forker extension (Mac OS Classic mode)?

I did notice how dan's hack puts the windoze Light grey (which is actually darker than a lot of want) around the page now while correcting everything else to 10% grey as desired.
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
dan's DA MAN!!!!!!!

Smokey said:

"Dan's earlier off-hand comment about them ripping out the "Mac style" from 2.0...indeed, the Options: <appname>: View pane has lost the "Mac look and Feel" option in 2.0, meaning all X widgets *and* no way to remove the silly underlines in all the menu items, dialogues, etc."

So maybe there IS some reason to stick to NeoJ ver. 0.7! Those things are still in there. (rounded buttons, no underscores in menu titles, etc.)

Very, very weak as the current version is stilll based on OOo version 1.x.x like NOJ 0.7

Very Happy

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject:

Dang it, hate when I do that.

libvcl641.dylib

should be libvcl641mxp.dylib

in previous post...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject:

OH, almost forgot, dan, for your next magic trick, can you make the windoze dark blue hightlight color for menus disappear? ; )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
dan's DA MAN!!!!!!!

Smokey said:

As I mentioned in the following paragraph, they're still there in 1.1.x, too. Not a reason to stick with 0.7 Smile

Guest wrote:
Anyway, I took dan's lead and went into what seemed like the equivalent library in ver. 0.7,

libvcl641.dylib

[...]

No dice. Any old timer with v 0.7 wanna confirm this?

I can almost guarantee that you're the only person in the world still running 0.7. The 0.x series were a whole different branch of the OOo code, so it's not a surprise that the same things don't work....

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject:

OK, Smokey, seeing as how you've been very gracious about all this, I guess I'll upgrade... eventually.

There is just something about the challege involved here that I don't want to let go of just yet.

I'm going to try and edit the copy of that lib file again tonight with some other program to see if that makes a difference. Then again maybe I'm just oversimplifier the memory address marker locations that day described earlier in this thread.

If you've ever been over to ResExcellence.com and reviewed the OS X mods., one of them has a caveat that a mod wouldn't work using HexEdit but would using ResFork. So I need to learn how to use ResFork better. I cut my teeth over at ResEdit with help from old regulars PeterMac (PM), stonycase (stony) and BK, among others. It's just not the same over there these days, especially with the forum. Hacking your Mac was much simpler in the old Classic days.

Also, will move the NOJ prefs folder to the desktop and see if NOJ automatically creates a new one, stuff like that.

And I feel bad, if we had brainstormed on this much sooner, dan could have bailed us out months ago possibly!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7