Changing the exterior color of the main window

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject:

on system colors,

for jag and panther there are only two variations, blue and grey (and they refer mostly to the buttons)

the only way to change the white part is through skinning programs (like unsanity) but i would not begin to conjecture (did i use that word right?) whether or not a system hack would work on neo/j.

hm. on second thought, i'll use 'speculate' since i think 'conjecture' is a noun.

-j

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject:

Guest said on page 5:

"Gonna try a fresh Dup tomight of the lib and try substituting other G B values to see if the Minty Green can be changed. "

I created about 5 color schemes over the weekend including a mud brown in honor of the old NOJ ship icon for ver. 0.7 and a rose for the sunset of the new ship icon ver. 1.1. All colors start with R=C0 and different G and B's.

For now I've settled for a bluish-grey window/menu/dialog box RGB = C0CBCB for personal use. A picture of it should end up in the ResExcellence.com Snapshots link eventually. I should take this opportunity to see if I can whip up an AppleScript that would somehow rename and swap out the different modded libvcl641mxp.dyliibs and then launch NOJ so I can change the color every now and then automagially instead of manually.

Not worth submitting/distributing obviously since Pat and the gang want people to use the latest NOJ but thought it might be a fun exercise and learning experience since I'm a dabbler and not a programmer.

Now the question is, how many IT guys are gonna implement JKT's work for the latest NOJ so that everyone's NOJ looks pretty?
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Now the question is, how many IT guys are gonna implement JKT's work for the latest NOJ so that everyone's NOJ looks pretty?

There is no need for anything to be done now - Patrick has already modded the source code to a lighter grey with the release of NOJ1.1 RC1 patch 1a! Smile All that is needed now is a complete set of more mac-like icons, which is being worked on I believe.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
Guest wrote:

There is no need for anything to be done now - Patrick has already modded the source code to a lighter grey with the release of NOJ1.1 RC1 patch 1a! Smile All that is needed now is a complete set of more mac-like icons, which is being worked on I believe.

Yeah, you're right. I was just thinking about those impatient types that can't wait for that. Heck, I can wait, I don't even have the new Mac yet with the latest OS X or NOJ. ; ) Sure wish Apple would announce the 'Tiger' release date!
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:

It is. To give a bit of an update to people hwo haven't been following that thread: We're all sort of waiting for word from Brett (who was sick and busy, so delays are understandable) about a 0.8 version of his icon replacer script.

After that, filenames must be found in the Neo/J source tree to provide definitive replacements. Alternatively, Patrick can build the source normally and then have a the build script replace the default icon strip with a suitable one that won a beauty contest around here (truly a hack, but it should work).

In the mean time, some people have posted icon sets for Brett's Neo-Iconer that will replace a large number of the icons in toolbar (but not all of them) with nicer ones.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject:

Is that the effort discussed in this thread?

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=995&start=75&sid=daab7bd5ee8d32fc37c168192d9507cd
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Is that the effort discussed in this thread?

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=995&start=75&sid=daab7bd5ee8d32fc37c168192d9507cd

Yes, it is!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject:

Color looks a little off on the PeeCee CRT but here it is:

http://www.resexcellence.com/snapshots/snaps_html/04-25-05_Dabbler.shtml

Again, note that this is the older v 0.7. Just wanted to show there is hope for those stubborn people that didn't want to upgrade their Neo/J yet. For your color pleasure changes, refer to the v 1.1 mod methods in previous posts by dan and others in this thread. The NOJ link in the link above goes right to the latest Neo/J 1.1. version for download.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
Edit: If you read the first version, I had misnamed the target file as libvcl645.mxp - it is now corrected to libvcl645mxp.dylib Embarassed

Edit 2: Read Patrick's post below... if you choose to do the following, please, please revert back to the original file from your backup once you have seen what the interface changes are like, otherwise you will not be helping bug test NeoOffice in the future Exclamation

OK, for the benefit of those who want to play:

Stock warning - do this at your own risk, blah, blah. If things go wrong its your own fault, etc, but if they do, simply reinstalling NOJ should cure them.

1. Quit NeoOffice/J and then "Show Package Contents" of the NeoOfficeJ.app - control click the NOJ icon in the /Applications folder and select the option from the contextual menu. A "NeoOfficeJ" window will open in the Finder with a "Contents" folder in the display.

2. Navigate to the Contents>MacOS folder and locate the file called "libvcl645mxp.dylib". Very, very importantly... drag it to e.g. your desktop to make a backup of the original file just in case something goes amiss. If things don't work out, you can drag and drop this backup back to the same Contents>MacOS folder to revert back to the original. N.B. you will need to have admin privileges to do this.

3. Download and launch HexEditor (click here to be taken to the VT page for it).

etc etc...go to page 5 post in this forum thread to see all the instructions, which conclude...

Now, unless someone manages to find this in the actual source code so that we don't have to this hackery, does anyone know how we could Applescript this, or could we host an already hacked file for people to download and install for the time being? Your opinion Patrick?

I know it's an unwelcome distraction to the main task, and I know it's a hack and so on, but has anybody been experimenting to find the relevant lines that would need to be changed in the latest NO/J to achieve this? I presume that if you find the few lines that equate to these three in the earlier version, you can achieve the same hack..or not..? I have had a look at libvcl645mxp.dylib in the latest version, and there are lots of occurrences of c0 c0 and even more of c0 on its own, and none of them are in the same places as before...and if you change them all, be prepared to reload NO/J from scratch as I did Embarassed , but I would like to think it might be this easy to change again...or am I just showing my complete ignorance of code, which I happily Smile acknowledge?

Peter
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject:

Given that this is something Patrick can do in the actual code rather than have us messing around in the binary again (and thus potentially fubaring the app), I would just wait for him to find the time to do it. The latest patches are not really for public consumption unless you are a willing beta tester, and Patrick's priorities surely lie in getting the performance and other major issues sorted first before altering the interface colour. I suspect it will be one of the last things he does prior to the next stable release.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject:

The system colors feature that was in Neo/J 1.1 final will be in the next Neo/J Performance Test Patch as I reimplemented this feature in Java 1.4.x this morning.

Patrick
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject:

Well, just prove me wrong why don't you? Hehehe Wink

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
Well, just prove me wrong why don't you? Hehehe Wink

Patrick's good like that Smile That's why sometimes after making some pronouncement, I add "but really only Patrick knows" Very Happy

Glad it's coming back shortly!

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
The system colors feature that was in Neo/J 1.1 final will be in the next Neo/J Performance Test Patch as I reimplemented this feature in Java 1.4.x this morning.

Patrick

Beauty! Well done, Patrick. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject:

Hey, I'm gonna be needin' a $25K donation myself around 1 June 2006! maybe the generous benefactor is reading this... (inside joke, don't mind me, I've jumped the shark) See, it is all about the eye candy for many... Nice work, as always, Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7