Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How do I reduce the steps before I typing in my first letter
How do I reduce the steps before I typing in my first letter

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: How do I reduce the steps before I typing in my first letter

Hi,
whenever I start NeoOffice I get the activation indication in the top bar: "NeoOffice/J" (no other selections available at that time).
Now I have to select "text document" in the pull down menu from "NeoOffice/J".
NeoOffice opens a new document automatically.
Now I can open the file pull down menu
There I find the list of my recent documents
Now I can select to work with the last document
NeoOffice finally opens the last document I've worked with
Now, after 5 steps (OK, all very simple, but still five) I can type in my first letter.
How can I shorten that procedure?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject:

First off, something is awry if Neo/J doesn't open to a blank Writer document to begin with. It's supposed to do that (and then it will show all the menus; unfortunately, the underlying OOo code was not designed with the Mac in mind, so menus are only shown when the corresponding windows are shown).

That should take it down to one step: select your recent document from the list at the bottom of the File menu.

You might try moving aside your user profile (the "NeoOfficeJ-1.1" folder inside your user's Library folder; this will reset all your settings to the defaults) and seeing if the blank Writer window appears on startup.

Other options: selecting the desired document from the Mac OS X Apple menu's Recent Documents menu, opening the document by double-clicking it in the Finder, etc.

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject:

Something to Add (though Smokey is right, it should come up with a blank writer document)

I have put in my doc a folder of blank templates. So instead of starting Neo by clicking on the application, I select the template I want to start (blank writer, blank calc, etc)

here is some more info:
http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice/J_Launch_Shortcuts

(which i should put screen shots on at some point...)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
First off, something is awry if Neo/J doesn't open to a blank Writer document to begin with. It's supposed to do that (and then it will show all the menus; unfortunately, the underlying OOo code was not designed with the Mac in mind, so menus are only shown when the corresponding windows are shown).

You have not installed Neo/J 1.1 "Patch-0". You can download it from here:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php

Patrick
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Patrick
Thanks Patrick,
you were right. I have installed NeoOffice only three or four days ago, so I haven't looked for patches yet. After installing this patch my NeoOffice opens with a blank page. That's just what I wanted.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
I have installed NeoOffice only three or four days ago, so I haven't looked for patches yet.

During the development cylce of Neo/J 1.1, we had automatic checking for patches enabled, but for the final 1.1 release, it was disabled to help simplify things for people doing mass installations--and also because we didn't expect to release patches for some time. Unfortunately, there were a few highly-visible issues that crept up, so there was Patch-0.... Sad

There are several manual and automated ways to keep up to date and know when new patches are available, if you so desire: the NeoJUpdate list, the trinity news stories (RSS), the Neo/J Release Notes in the wiki, etc. Right now the first two are listing all of the developmental test patches while the Release Notes are holding steady with only the stable patch (normally during development cycles the Release Notes track the patches, but for now we're not because they're still called "Test Patches" Smile

Anyway, enough of my silly rambling. Glad things are working now, and welcome to the community!

Smokey

Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: What is Patch 1?!

pluby wrote:

Patrick

With the patches is a file called Patch 1...that doesn't show up on the cited web page...Do we need this? Cheers,

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject:

patch-0 was for the final 1.1 release.
patch-1 will be the java 1.4 patch when it is completed. as of now it is still in developement.

for regular use, just stick with the patch-0
for testing and livin' on the edge, see the 'testing' forum.

-j
GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
patch-0 was for the final 1.1 release.
patch-1 will be the java 1.4 patch when it is completed. as of now it is still in developement.

for regular use, just stick with the patch-0
for testing and livin' on the edge, see the 'testing' forum.

-j
Thanks! (I'm using the performance test patches...) Cheers,
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Patch-1 is actually the patch that lets you revert a Performance Patch-upgraded Neo/J to Patch-0 behavior (without having to reinstall 1.1 and then Patch-0, which is the "hard way" to revert to Patch-0 behavior).

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1