Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can't install french help with the helper
Can't install french help with the helper

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oihenart
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Can't install french help with the helper

When i drag helpcontent_33_unix.tgz on NeoOfficeJ_1-1_Help_Installer, nothing happens. Any idea ? Crying or Very sad
bvoisin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't install french help with the helper

Same here: since last week I have been trying several times to install the French help files, to no avail. Something pops up very briefly in the Dock, then goes away immediately. I have tried dragging either helpcontent_33_unix.tgz, helpcontent_33_unix.tar or the folder helpcontent_33_unix itself on the installer script (the download page isn't perfectly clear about which file must be dragged onto the script): it doesn't make any difference. No message is generated in either console.log or system.log.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject:

Hmm, I don't know where Max is, but since he is French, I'm sure he the script working for French before posting it. Smile

That said, I just went in to my testing account, moved French to be the preferred language, downloaded the French help, installed it, and had it fail (albeit with the error message it is supposed to give when something fails), which is only slightly better than what happed in your cases.

Can you provide more information to help troubleshoot?

Mac OS X version?

Original Mac OS X version on your computer, and upgrade method (normal upgrade, Archive & Install, erase disk and fresh install)?

Is your account an administrator account?

Also, look in at your Console.log and see if there are any relevant messages (you can filter the log by the filename of the helpfile).

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Hmm, I don't know where Max is, but since he is French, I'm sure he the script working for French before posting it. Smile

Also, check if the script is executable:
open a Terminal
cd to the script folder
ls -al and see if the script says drwx (and more r's, w's and possibly x's)

This is often the problem for me when applications drop immediatly.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Can you provide more information to help troubleshoot?

Replying to myself to keep my responses separate from my questions....

sardisson wrote:
Mac OS X version?

sardisson wrote:
Original Mac OS X version on your computer, and upgrade method (normal upgrade, Archive & Install, erase disk and fresh install)?

10.2.8; upgraded to 10.3 via normal upgrade

sardisson wrote:
Is your account an administrator account?

no

sardisson wrote:
Also, look in at your Console.log and see if there are any relevant messages (you can filter the log by the filename of the helpfile).

Code:
Apr  5 03:20:06 Krak-des-Chevaliers sudo: ibnkhald : 1 incorrect password attempt ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=[command removed]

When I enter the password for that account, I get the (expected) error that that account is not priviliged:
Code:
Apr  5 03:21:08 Krak-des-Chevaliers sudo: ibnkhald : user NOT in sudoers ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=[command removed]

When I use my administrator account to install the help (rather than the non-admin account with the admin password), it works without a problem (although it went through install-authentication-success twice and I only have one NeoOffice/J.app on my disk.... Ah, once it quoted me /Volumes/Krak des Chevaliers/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app and the second time it was /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app)

So I now have an idea about my problem...but since yours were very different (the app never appearing to run)....

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
open a Terminal
cd to the script folder
ls -al and see if the script says drwx (and more r's, w's and possibly x's)

Thanks, that was indeed the problem: the executable bit wasn't set:

Code:
-rw-r--r--   1 brunovoi  staff      13780 30 Mar 21:27 NeoOfficeJ_1-1_Help_Installer.app

After setting it with "chmod +x NeoOfficeJ_1-1_Help_Installer.app", so as to get:

Code:
-rwxr-xr-x   1 brunovoi  staff      13780 30 Mar 21:27 NeoOfficeJ_1-1_Help_Installer.app

then the script worked as expected and the French help is indeed there.

Decompression was done through StuffIt Expander 8.0.2, which is supposedly immune to the bug, affecting v8.0, re. the "execute" permission. Hence I'm puzzled.

Thanks for your help.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
Decompression was done through StuffIt Expander 8.0.2, which is supposedly immune to the bug, affecting v8.0, re. the "execute" permission. Hence I'm puzzled.

I used the same version of Expander, so I'm doubly-confused. The solution to that is probably to use a .dmg rather than Expander....

Good catch, Oscar!

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject:

I was offline for a moment...

I was not aware of the stuffit bug dropping executable bits. I can provide a .dmg if needed but IMO .sit is easier for end user... if it works.
Changind to .dmg will imply modifying the download page again, and I'm afraid Patrick is tired of trouble from this thing I wrote to "simplify"!

About smokey setting: it really looks like you have two install of Neo/J! Can you check it twice? (old partial install remains, symbolic links, ?)

General notes:
1) The file to drag upon the applet is the .tgz initial archive. Very often the problem is that the browser uncompress it. The .tar or the raw folder do not work.
2) Several users wrote te me because the applet run in error. Most of the time the problem is due to corrupted archive (incomplete, wrong size). This is the first point to check in error message case.

Max
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Max_Barel wrote:
I was offline for a moment...

Sorry, I had gotten confused about how many days had passed Smile

Max_Barel wrote:
About smokey setting: it really looks like you have two install of Neo/J! Can you check it twice? (old partial install remains, symbolic links, ?)

No, just one install of Neo/J, no symlinks. I only have one drive/partition. But it found and updated the same install twice, once with the simple/partial path /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app and once with the longer /Volumes/mydiskname/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app

That's more strange than a problem.

What was more problematic is that my non-admin user was not able to install at all...

It wouldn't accept my non-admin user giving the admin user's password, and it wouldn't work when entering the non-admin user's own password. Don't apps requesting admin permissions usually require the admin user name and admin password?

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Max_Barel wrote:
1) The file to drag upon the applet is the .tgz initial archive. Very often the problem is that the browser uncompress it. The .tar or the raw folder do not work.

In case that helps: that may be a problem for people using Safari with its default setting "Open reliable files automatically" (approximate translation from the French). In that event, the .tgz archive is put directly into the Trash without the user knowing it (it's even possible that the Trash icon in the Dock remains empty, at least in the early versions of Panther it was so), and only the .tar archive and raw folder are put visibly inside the download folder (Desktop in my case).
bvoisin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
No, just one install of Neo/J, no symlinks. I only have one drive/partition. But it found and updated the same install twice, once with the simple/partial path /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app and once with the longer /Volumes/mydiskname/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app

Same here, but the other way round: I had to give twice my (admin) password, first for /Volumes/mydiskname/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app and second for /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app. The installer asked for the two in sequence, without having to be relaunched in between.

My setup: OS 10.3.8, French as preferred language, admin account. The original install was OS 10.2.something (PowerBook G4 17" from May 2003), with 10.3 installed several times since via Archive & Install (last time was in early February). All security patches and al. applied, as I check for system updates every day.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject:

bvoisin wrote:
Same here, but the other way round: I had to give twice my (admin) password, first for /Volumes/mydiskname/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app and second for /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app. The installer asked for the two in sequence, without having to be relaunched in between.

That's exactly how it was for me in my admin account; I just reversed the order in which it presented the paths in my last post Embarassed

Smokey

Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

That was the problem, a corruption of permission of the installer during the expand of the archive. Everything ok now.

Many Thanks !!! Wink
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject:

About admin password : this is an AppleScript limitation. The user running the script must have admin privileges. The standard dialog does not prompt for user name as cocoa dialog does. IMO this is a minor annoyance; most user run standard setup with only one admin user. Should I add a dialog to outline this point?

Dual install: this is a bug. Patrick suggested that the script use the same guessing algorithm he's using in his own install script. On Panther there is a link in /Volumes for the root volume. It is not present on Jaguar. Thus Panther user with NeoJ in the standard place get a redundant second install (no harm anyway). In my own setting NeoJ is not on the root volume that why I did not see this bug. Patrick tested the script in Jaguar so he did not either.
I'll find a way to avoid this dual install.
Notice: the confirmation dialog before installation allows to cancel the second useless install.

tbc
Max
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject:

Max_Barel wrote:
About admin password : this is an AppleScript limitation. The user running the script must have admin privileges. The standard dialog does not prompt for user name as cocoa dialog does. IMO this is a minor annoyance; most user run standard setup with only one admin user. Should I add a dialog to outline this point?

Perhaps just a note on the download page will be fine? As you noted, most people run a standard one-user setup (and as Oscar said in another thread, those people doing strange things should be smart enough to figure out the problems Smile).

Max_Barel wrote:
Dual install: this is a bug. [...]
I'll find a way to avoid this dual install.
Notice: the confirmation dialog before installation allows to cancel the second useless install.

Yes, but the second dialogue also presents the "familiar" path to Neo/J, which is what confused me until I realized the first install was starting from /Volumes Smile It's not a big deal; I just mentioned it since I ran into it when trying to help. Next time, I'll actually download and test the version you have in development so I find things before you release the software Smile

Merci beaucoup!
Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2