Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Background/Login Loading?
Background/Login Loading?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
copasetic
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Background/Login Loading?

I have added NO/J to my login items, in an effort to speed up loading times for documents. I have noticed though, that clicking the "hide" box seems useless as a login item (NO/J just won't hide when loading. I guess that is a problem with OSX and the way NO/J loads, though not with OSX specifically? Or maybe I am spoiled on the "run minimized" option in Windows, or the QuickStart feature that OoO/Win had. Either way, it's no biggie, but I thought I would ask just the same. I can live with it, if I could just get the silly window to disappear the lprogram loads and I don't have a document open is there a way to turn this off for when the program loads or when I close all documents? Thanks in advance.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject:

If no one comes up with a better solution, it's probably possible to do what you want via an AppleScript instead.

Something like this should work (it doesn't hide atm; either I've got something wrong or you'll need to do GUI scripting because, as we know, Neo/J is not scriptable in the AppleScript sense of the term)
Code:
tell application "NeoOfficeJ"
   open
end tell
tell application "System Events"
   set visible of process "soffice.bin" to false
end tell

If it worked, you'd save as an application, put the applet somewhere, and add it to your login items instead of Neo/J.

I'm tired now; I'll try more in the morning if Max hasn't beaten me to the proper solution Smile

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: a working solution

A ha! It was more a matter of Neo/J not being ready to respond to AppleEvents until it was finished loading!

This will work, but you will need to tweak the number after "delay" to your system. 10 is *just* after Neo/J finishes loading (after having been quit several times, rather than the first launch) on my PB G4 1.33 GHz, just to give you a baseline from which to start guessing. That (delay) should be in seconds (but 10 secs seems faster for a relaunch than when I last timed Neo/J).

(The "launch app" stuff seems to be the new favored syntax, whereas the "tell app...open" I was using is old, old AppleScript Smile Either one seems to work, but the newer is shorter and easier to understand Smile)

Code:
launch application "NeoOfficeJ"
delay 10
tell application "System Events"
   set visible of process "soffice.bin" to false
end tell

Hope this helps!
Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I will try this. I have never worked with AppleScript, but it seems remarkably similar to Rexx scripts that I miss terribly (in this case, Rexx on my old Amigas). My hope is also further bolstered by the fact that I discovered a rexx folder on my HD. My guess is this will fail due to my lack of knowledge, but thank you for trying...
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1