Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - The Booting Time Quibble Nibbles
The Booting Time Quibble Nibbles

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimWG
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: The Booting Time Quibble Nibbles

Greetings:

I chanced to glean some NeoO user reviews on several Mac news pages, and for some reason these newbies' pet gripes are about NeoO's booting times.

Gee whiz.

You boot up maybe just once a day since OS-X hardly crashes and you're on your way for the whole day or all week with a jam-packed nearly totally self-contained suite that'll do most any job. It's not like you're booting up with every save/load file. You spend more time warming up the car after you turn the key or pouring orange juice in a glass or jerking around looking for a CD. Hey, where's the fire??

Maybe it's just me recalling those 15 minute cassette load-ups on my C-64 or something, but these NeoO boot-up time complaints, sorry, just have to get a life and help ferret out a REAL bug for NeoO's fine developers to squash.

Quibbling over extra seconds booting up a mega-piece of FREE no-slouch professional software!

Gee whiz.

JimWG
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject:

neooffice/j takes a lot of ram, if you have not a fast computer with >512mb ram and much memory on hd, it is not a great idea keep neooffice open if you need other applications: i remember the time I was using neooffice with 256mb and it was the hell, having safari or thunderbirds opened.

take a breath e give to neooffice what is owned by neooffice: it is a great application that do what it can do thanks to the great work of pluby and ed.
But it has a lot of problems that only a payed staff could fix completely.
Pluby have to find the carbon bugs, the java bugs, and he can not work at the Oo bugs, or the apple compiler bugs (that I hate).

So who can optimize neooffice/j? And how much java slows down neooffice/j?

I really hope some company could give money to ed and pluby to release a neooffice good as the Oo sun releases, but actually the criticism about the neooffice suite has his foundation.

Oh, I forgot, I love it!

f.
achmafooma
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Quickstart?

On my Windows box at work, I use the OpenOffice.org quickstart feature. I'm not sure of the technical details, but it makes it so OpenOffice.org loads (in a hidden fashion) on startup and is available very quickly when I need it. I haven't noticed any speed hit in other apps.

Perhaps something similar could be implemented in NeoOffice/J.

I tried developing a NeoOffice/J Quickstart app in Applescript Studio, but NO/J lacks the hooks I would need to make it really useful.

Mainly, all a NeoOffice/J Quickstart function would need to do is start NO/J without the splash screen, without a document open, and hidden on system startup (as a login item). Then, when a user double-clicks a NO/J document (or clicks on the dock icon), NO/J would be ready to go.

Anyway, I applaud the wonderful work on NO/J and wish I was a programmer so I could help out. After I'm done financing my wedding, you can expect a good-sized donation Wink.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1