Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Open downloaded documents in NeoOffice?
Open downloaded documents in NeoOffice?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Open downloaded documents in NeoOffice?

Today I downloaded a MS Word document from an email, and it opened in Appleworks instead of in NeoOffice. Previously, such documents have always opened in NeoOffice. I looked in my settings, but couldn't see a way to make my default go back to opening all such documents in NeoOffice.

The only change I made since yesterday was downloading this patch which I saw mentioned in this forum today:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/patch.php

Oh, and thanks for a great piece of software. I have enjoyed using it, so far. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject:

You simply may have confused the OS X Finder. Of all the apps people whine about in OS X, the Finder may be the biggest. Click once on the .doc file and when it appears highlighted, press command-I keys and a Get Info will open up. Go to the 'Open With' drop down menu and click on it. If NOJ is one of the choices, select it and then check a button thats says something like, 'open all documents like this with this app' just below in the GI box. If it's not in the list because of the patch and you haven't logged out or rebooted after patching or in a while, you have to navigate to it and then click on the 'Open' button to re-establish the NavServices (Finder) association.
JCG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Well, I was able to open the doc as NeoOffice, but there was no option available to make NOJ the default. (Appleworks was listed as the default).

Plus, a few minutes after I started working on the document, NOJ hung on me and I had to forcequit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject:

JCG wrote:
Well, I was able to open the doc as NeoOffice, but there was no option available to make NOJ the default. (Appleworks was listed as the default).

Plus, a few minutes after I started working on the document, NOJ hung on me and I had to forcequit.

To address the 1st part of your quote, was there not an 'up and down' arrow button/widget next to the entry for Appleworks in the Get Info box so that if you clicked on it other apps would have appeared in a drop-down menu/list including apps like NOJ, M$ Word, etc. and the word 'other' to choose from?

I defer to Pat for the second part of your statement re: his app hanging.
JCG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
To address the 1st part of your quote, was there not an 'up and down' arrow button/widget next to the entry for Appleworks in the Get Info box so that if you clicked on it other apps would have appeared in a drop-down menu/list including apps like NOJ, M$ Word, etc. and the word 'other' to choose from?

Yes. I found it. I'm a little slow today. Wink

My iMac G5 is the first Mac I've had in years (my husband is the "anti-Mac." Razz ) and I'm still getting used to doing things the Mac way.

Thanks for your help with the "open as" question. Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject:

JCG wrote:

If Neo/J hung after using the mouse scroll wheel, then download and install "Patch-1a" from the following URL to eliminate the hanging:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php

Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject:

You're quite welcome. Please be patient while getting to know your Mac, in the end it's an easier and nicer looking computing experience IMO than those other guys, especialy with the Unix-based OS X, no more whole system crashing when an app does. And by all means spread the gospel and dispel the FUD about Macs. Happy Mac-ing!

When other problems come up, 2 good sources to check out for help are Macnn.com and AppleInsider.com Forums. MacFixit.com Forums also.

I'm only here because of this

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1232&sid=f3f8202edd1f3ecab7c222e3b2adb5f1
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Clearly, I need to hurry up and finish this article in the wiki:
http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Setting_the_Default_Application
Smile

Smokey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If Neo/J hung after using the mouse scroll wheel, then download and install "Patch-1a" from the following URL to eliminate the hanging:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick, that fixed the problem. Smile

Guest wrote:
You're quite welcome. Please be patient while getting to know your Mac, in the end it's an easier and nicer looking computing experience IMO than those other guys, especialy with the Unix-based OS X, no more whole system crashing when an app does. And by all means spread the gospel and dispel the FUD about Macs. Happy Mac-ing!

You don't have to convince me.Smile And thanks again for the tips.

sardisson wrote:
Clearly, I need to hurry up and finish this article in the wiki:
http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Setting_the_Default_Application
Smile

Smokey

I actually did read some of the wiki on Thursday, and found it very helpful, but when this problem came up - well, it was Friday, and I wanted to work on my document and get finished. Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1