Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Crash opening OOo Mac(X11), OOo 1.1.4/win32 Writer documents
Crash opening OOo Mac(X11), OOo 1.1.4/win32 Writer documents

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrushka
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Crash opening OOo Mac(X11), OOo 1.1.4/win32 Writer documents

Hi, I've been using OpenOffice.org on a Mac under X11 for a while and would love to try out NeoOffice/J. Maybe you can help me do that ...

I've installed the release candidate and the patch, and it starts up just fine. This is under OS X 10.3.4. Some Writer documents it can open (e.g. some documents I created over a year ago in NeoOffice/J 0.7 or 0.8 or thereabouts).

But with most of my Writer documents, including one that I've been working on at home in OOo 1.1.4 for Windows, the following scenario happens: I try to open the document, the status bar showing the loading lights up very briefly then returns to the default state, the programme seems to hang for a few seconds, and then vanishes from the screen and Dock. The OS then asks me if I want to report the crash to Apple.

I was working on the same document in OOo for Mac/X11 earlier today, and the copy I've saved from that also crashes NeoOffice/J every time.

Since (a) they all work fine with OOo Mac/X11, I'm guessing the problem is not a problem with OpenOffice.org itself; and since (b) this happens with most of my documents, not just a few, I'm betting it may be related to my environment rather than a problem with NeoOffice/J. Have there been any other incidents resembling this? I haven't been able to find anything similar in Bugzilla or the trinity forums.

Some (possibly wild) speculations on what might be going wrong:

* Could USB Overdrive (which I use to manage a 3-button mouse with scroll wheel) be interfering? I see there have been problems in the past with scroll wheels.
* Many of my documents use non-Roman character sets - specifically, Basic Greek, Greek Extended, and Latin Extended-A. Likely to cause issues?
* Can't think of anything else.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject:

First, you should try to install "Patch-1a" for Neo/J 1.1 RC from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php

This patch fixed a few crashing bugs.

If "Patch-1a" does not stop the crashing, you should file a bug in Bugzilla and attach the following two items:

1. The Mac OS X crash log
2. The file that crashes.

Patrick
Petrushka
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick, thanks for your fast reply. I had already installed the latest patch.

As I said, I suspect an environmental issue more than I suspect a bug in NeoOffice/J - which would mean it might not be easily reproducible. I'd prefer to wait a day or so and see if anyone has any similar issues before posting a bug. (Maybe that's not standard practice, but I don't know any better!)

Thanks again,
Petrushka
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject:

Petrushka wrote:
As I said, I suspect an environmental issue more than I suspect a bug in NeoOffice/J - which would mean it might not be easily reproducible. I'd prefer to wait a day or so and see if anyone has any similar issues before posting a bug. (Maybe that's not standard practice, but I don't know any better!)

Well, no every user reports his/her crashes so you might be the sole representative of a group of troubled but silent users. If you can get this to recurr, filing the bug with the detailed reproduction instruction could help Patrick track it through just the crashlog.

Personally, I have filed bugs on a patch from the same day that Patrick just fixed an hour earlier. Damn impressive.

Patrick and Ed, feel free to disagree here.

Petrushka
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject:

OK, I can now confirm it's not a problem that NeoOffice/J is having with these files: definitely an environmental issue. I've tried creating new documents in NeoOffice from scratch and it crashes at irregular intervals, depending on nothing that I can determine.

I don't *think* I have any outré apps running. Latest security updates are installed, so I would have thought that meant Java is up-to-date. Could 3rd-party kernel extensions be causing a problem? I tried "kextstat | grep -v apple" and I appear to have the following ones going:

Code:
Index Refs Address    Size       Wired      Name (Version) <Linked Against>
   57    0 0x5e4000   0x11000    0x10000    com.usboverdrive.driver.hid (10.3) <28 18>
   83    2 0x2962f000 0x4000     0x3000     com.Symantec.kext.SymOSXKernelUtilities (2.0.1) <10>
   84    1 0x296a6000 0x6000     0x5000     com.Symantec.kext.SymEvent (1.0.4) <83>
   85    0 0x2963c000 0x4000     0x3000     com.Symantec.kext.KTUM (9.0.3) <84 83>

The first is USB Overdrive; the others appear to be Norton Anti-Virus.

Any suggestions on any diagnostics I could try? Thanks for your suggestions so far.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Debugging with a crash log is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Why don't you file a bug and attach the crash log?

Patrick
Petrushka
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Will do. Thanks for the advice.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Even if it's something that's environmental, Patrick can probably tell you pretty quickly with a bug and crash log in Bugzilla Smile Unsanity's APE engine comes to mind here....

Mostly, the rule of thumb is, if it's reapeatable and/or you know it works in OOo/X11, file it in bugzilla, attach a crash log and a sample document. Patrick will figure it out, often very quickly Smile Sometimes we'll start with a fresh profile (move the ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 folder aside) to check if some behvior is related to corrupt prefs, but if there's a crash, typically we go straight to bugzilla Smile

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject:

Well, the problem was tracked down to an incompatibility issue between ATSUI (not that I know what that is) and three ttf fonts designed for X11, called FreeSerif, FreeSans, and FreeMono (obtained from http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/ttf-freefont.html).

I've made NeoOffice crash one last time and sent a crash report to Apple, as Patrick suggested. Hopefully they'll fix the problem.

I find these fonts very useful - there are very few serif fonts in existence that contain the particular character sets I need (Roman, Greek, Greek Extended) in all four faces, and even fewer that are tolerably good-looking.

So, as a WORKAROUND: I'm going to try to convert these fonts to dfont format (legally - they're GNU GPL): then, with any luck, they won't elicit bugs in the OS ... touch wood.

I'll post back once I've tested them and put them somewhere online.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject:

Petrushka wrote:
Well, the problem was tracked down to an incompatibility issue between ATSUI (not that I know what that is) and three ttf fonts designed for X11, called FreeSerif, FreeSans, and FreeMono (obtained from http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/ttf-freefont.html).

FYI. ATSUI is the name that refers to Mac OS X's text layout and drawing functions.

Patrick
Petrushka
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
FYI. ATSUI is the name that refers to Mac OS X's text layout and drawing functions.

Patrick

Hold on - does that mean crashes should only have been taking place when ATSUI was trying to render the fonts in question, i.e. when one of the fonts was actually in use? Because I was getting crashes all the time, just from the fonts being installed.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject:

These functions are invoked by Neo/J every time text is drawn. What may surprise you is that the OOo code draws many fonts even if you aren't using that font in your document.

For example, clicking on the font list box in the toolbar causes the OOo code to draw a sizable number of the available fonts. If this doesn't crash Neo/J when you have the bad fonts installed, just scroll through the fonts until you get to where the bad fonts would be displayed and most likely Neo/J will crash since the fonts are being used to draw the font name.

Another example, and a very insidious one, is that the OOo code performs automatic font fallback. So, if you are using a font like Times New Roman and you type a Japanese character, Neo/J will find the first font that can display that character since Times New Roman cannot. In this case, one of the bad fonts may be the first font that it finds and, as a result, you will get the crash.

Does that make sense?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, I have those fonts installed (I got them from their original source, http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/freefont/, and a month or so ago rather than recently) and I'm not getting any crashes. And I've actually used the fonts in a couple of documents.

We should perhaps compare notes on versions of these fonts (it's very late now and I drove 10 hours today, so tomorrow for me...) and see if one of us has newer or older versions....

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject:

By the timestamp in the package name at debian and the downloads from ftp.gnu.org/savannah/files/freefont/, we should have identical fonts.

I noticed that there are some issues with the debian developmental versions of these fonts (namely some bad metrics issues mentioned in other threads in that list), if you're using those rather than the 20031008 ones.

Question

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject:

I'm away from the Mac until Monday. I'll try fiddling with different versions of the same fonts then and see what happens - I *thought* I was using the 20031008 version (that's what I have on the Windows setup at home) but it might be older. Hmmmm.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2