Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Crash opening OOo Mac(X11), OOo 1.1.4/win32 Writer documents
Crash opening OOo Mac(X11), OOo 1.1.4/win32 Writer documents

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrushka
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Smokey, I can confirm your finding that the fonts from http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/freefont work just fine. The ones I got from http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/ttf-freefont.html, packaged in a deb archive, do not, and make NeoOffice/J crash (though not any other application, to my knowledge).

Although the timestamp is the same, they're actually different files. (Evidence: the combined size of all 12 ttf files from debian.org = 2414024 bytes; the combined filesize from savannah and ftp.gnu.org = 2435692 bytes.) Presumably this is something to do with how they've compiled the fonts from source over at Debian, but I've spent enough time on this that I don't feel up to pursuing it any further.

Phew! Thanks for posting that link, Smokey - it's made my life a lot easier. And even better, NeoOffice/J is up and working. Thanks to all!
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject:

Petrushka wrote:
Phew! Thanks for posting that link, Smokey - it's made my life a lot easier. And even better, NeoOffice/J is up and working. Thanks to all!

As I see that folder, I wondered. What are .sfd files for?

Petrushka
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
As I see that folder, I wondered. What are .sfd files for?

From http://www.nongnu.org/freefont, under "Downloading fonts":

Quote:
There you will find several archive files, depending on the format of fonts. A -source- package contains font files with a .sfd (Spline Font Database) suffix. This is PfaEdit's native format. Please use these if you plan to modify the font files. PfaEdit can export these to mostly any existing font file format.

Incidentally I've also found that at least one version of the Galatia SIL Unicode font (http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=SILgrkuni) produced by SIL International also seems to cause odd behaviour in NeoOffice/J; after trying to use it in a document I've had two crashes and one case of formatting going berserk.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
There you will find several archive files, depending on the format of fonts. A -source- package contains font files with a .sfd (Spline Font Database) suffix.

Ah, thanks!

BTW, Smokey (despite writing he is too busy) has been adding a few free font sources to the Wiki.

Petrushka
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Postscript to this thread: I've now updated my OS to 10.3.9, and neither version of the freefont package is causing crashes in NeoOffice/J (though the Debian version seems to cause some delays). So I guess Apple had already spotted the problem.

The Galatia SIL font is still causing weird formatting issues, though. I wonder if anyone else experiences problems with this font? Mind you SIL fonts have always been a bit peculiar, including pre-Unicode.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
BTW, Smokey (despite writing he is too busy) has been adding a few free font sources to the Wiki.

Well, it was more "I had been too busy to finish writing that 'Setting the Default App' wiki article" Very Happy

Plus those were easy links. I must have hundreds of multilingual Mac reference pages/font sources bookmarked from the past decade...but those were easy pan-Unicode fonts and Alan Wood is the standard reference on Unicode browser support and fonts. Smile

The thing to be careful about is whether fonts, particularly on a page that lists tons of them, are Unicode fonts; there are still a lot of fonts running around out there that are pre-Unicode, which in most cases meant they put the xx script's characters in the Roman range, so that all the pre-Unicode software could use the fonts. These fonts won't work properly in a Unicode environment like Mac OS X and Neo/J....

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
The thing to be careful about is whether fonts, particularly on a page that lists tons of them, are Unicode fonts; there are still a lot of fonts running around out there that are pre-Unicode, which in most cases meant they put the xx script's characters in the Roman range, so that all the pre-Unicode software could use the fonts. These fonts won't work properly in a Unicode environment like Mac OS X and Neo/J....

Smokey

Ohhhhh I remember well (and shudder at the memory of) pre-Unicode multilingual fonts. But why wouldn't they work correctly? I still have a few installed for legacy purposes (in WinXP as well as OS X Smile ) and they don't cause problems. Obviously they won't identify their characters to (e.g.) the Character Palette correctly, but they shouldn't raise any bugs should they?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Not "problems" in the sense of your Debian versions of the Free fonts, but in terms of not displaying correctly or appearing in PDFs correctly or being "portable" if the document leaves your Mac. The issues will vary depending on the app and the character range (i.e., intended script); in many cases, they might even "appear" correctly.

I just noticed that one of the sites Oscar added had a lot of fonts I recognized as pre-Unicode Mac fonts from the early 90s, before Apple started shipping the Language Kits with the OS (8.5), where the common practice was to put the xx script glyphs where the Roman glyphs belonged so that "everyone" could use the font (never mind the nightmares when someone put stuff on the web using this font!), rather than putting the xx script glyphs where they belonged in font, which only people with localized OS versions or the language kits could use....

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I just noticed that one of the sites Oscar added had a lot of fonts I recognized as pre-Unicode Mac fonts from the early 90s

Shows what I know. Feel free to toss them out Smile.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2