Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - screen display when not in use
screen display when not in use

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGH
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: screen display when not in use

I would like to suggest a small thing that would remove a minor irritation and make NeoOffice/J more like other Mac apps. Would it be possible for the display to close when the last document is closed, but for the application to stay active in the dock? That way the screen is less cluttered but you wouldn't have to wait while it reloaded (slowly) from closed down.

Thanks

Rob Heather
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject:

The problem is that OpenOffice.org (the basis for Neo/J) was designed originally as a Windows app, where closing the last window causes the app to quit. When users got mad, they added the "grey background window" to keep the app open. Unfortunately, all of this behavior is hidden and tied-in very deeply in the code and, as such, is nearly impossible for our small Neo/J team to fix. Sad

In fact, the recent "progress" of not closing the app when the red close widget on the last document window is clicked happened very much by accident--Patrick stumbled across the code while looking for something else and was able to "fix" it without adversely affecting the rest of the app. This behavior, while still far from perfect, is much better than the onerous workarounds we had to employ to keep the app open before the bug was fixed Smile You can still minimize that window and get almost the same effect....

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the reply. I suppose that's what you get for working with software originating from the dark side. Minimising the window is OK, so I guess I'll just have to carry on doing that.

Anyway, don't get me wrong. I think what you guys are doing is great.

Rob Heather

PS - Where do you and the rest of the team workfrom? You may have guessed that I am in UK. Simon Phipps put me on to NeoOffice/J and I'm really glad he did.
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject:

RGH wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I suppose that's what you get for working with software originating from the dark side. Minimising the window is OK, so I guess I'll just have to carry on doing that.

Anyway, don't get me wrong. I think what you guys are doing is great.

Rob Heather

PS - Where do you and the rest of the team workfrom? You may have guessed that I am in UK. Simon Phipps put me on to NeoOffice/J and I'm really glad he did.

Or you can just hide the application when it isn't being used (com-H)? I know that Patrick and Ed are US based - as for everyone else, I couldn't tell you. Edit: Though sardisson is probably based in Washington DC looking at his profile Very Happy

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
Or you can just hide the application when it isn't being used (com-H)? I know that Patrick and Ed are US based - as for everyone else, I couldn't tell you. Edit: Though sardisson is probably based in Washington DC looking at his profile Very Happy

Utrecht, Netherlands (which is in my profile, but not displayed for some vague reason)..

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1