Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Main Toolbaar detached - how to revert to standard layout
Main Toolbaar detached - how to revert to standard layout

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGH
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Main Toolbaar detached - how to revert to standard layout

After reading a previous discussion on 'docking' pallettes I decided to try it as an experiment. I did Command(Apple)-double-click on the left hand grey frame of a text document display, and the Main Toolbar detached itself from the display to form a new window. That's OK if you want that, but now I don't know how to put it back! Could someone please help me. I'm sure it's very easy and I shall feel stupid.

Rob Heather
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject:

One certain way is to manually delete your ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 directory. That will remove *all* of your settings, however, so if you just want to revert the palette you may want to wait for someone else to suggest a less destructive method Smile

Some things are stored with individual files that are saved and won't be able to be destroyed by just nuking your preferences. I don't think the palette tearoff state is one of them, but I may be wrong.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Main Toolbaar detached - how to revert to standard layou

RGH wrote:
I did Command(Apple)-double-click on the left hand grey frame of a text document display, and the Main Toolbar detached itself from the display to form a new window. That's OK if you want that, but now I don't know how to put it back!

To restore, it's exactly the same...cmd-double-click on the grey part of the floating palette Smile

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Duh! I knew it would be easy and I would look stupid.

Actually, it isn't quite clear yet. The toolbar re-attaches itself with cmd-dbl-click, but it only goes to the top border. I can't seem to make it go to the side or bottom border. The help screen on this subject is not quite right as it says what you said, but it also says that, if the loose toolbar is over a window border when you cmd-dbl-click it will attach to that border - it doesn't.

I don't want to make too big a deal of this though. Now I know how to do it I'm happy, but would prefer to be able to put it to the side border.

Regards

Rob Heather
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject:

While holding the Command key, drag the toolbar close to the edge of the window that you want it to be attached to.

Patrick
RGH
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I've tried every combination of click, hold, drag, double click, ctrl, ctrl(apple) etc etc and it doesn't work. Either it just sits there or it attaches to top tool bar area or it goes and hides next to trash or it turns itself off completely. I must be missing something. I'm just frustrated and don't want to be beaten by it. Any other ideas?

Rob Heather
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject:

You are using Neo/J 1.1 Release Candidate, right? Earlier versions (e.g. Neo/J 1.1 Beta) do not fully drag-and-drop so the Command-drag only works in Neo/J 1.1 Release Candidate.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Two more details:

1. Command-drag only works when the toolbar is *not* detached. Command-drag a detached toolbar will have no effect.

2. Command key = the Apple key not the Control key.

Patrick
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject:

For me (10.3.8, Neo RC+Patch2) the sequence is

Cmnd-double-click on the toolbar to tear it off (or cmnd-drag). The toolbar appears as a separate window, in front of the document, but it is not the active window.

Click once on the torn off window to activate it. The tools are now useable.

Cmnd-double-click on an empty area of the torn off toolbar to attach it to the top of the window

Cmnd-drag an empty part of the toolbar from the top of the window back to the left side. An outline of the toolbar follows the mouse until you get near an edge, then it snaps into position.

------------------
Notes

Cmnd-drag of a floating toolbar does not reattach it. If you try on a blank part of the window, nothing happens. If you cmnd-drag the title bar, it behaves as a normal drag, moving the window.

In all cases, the command key must be down before the mouse button, or it has no effect, unlike (say) a Finder drag, where you can change between move, copy and make alias at any time before letting go with the mouse

Torn off toolbars look resizeable (drag triangle in the corner), but they are not - they always snap back to their default size.

If all else fails, quit Neo, find the file
/Users/{your-user-name}/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/config/soffice.cfg/toolboxlayout.xml
and trash it, then relaunch. The toolbars will go back to their default positions, but your other preferences are left intact. Neo will recreate the layout file next time you move a toolbar.

Luke

-----------------------
Edit I started typing this before Patrick posted his reply, but didn't type fast enough! Oh well..
RGH
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject:

Thanks everybody. I now understand. I really must be as dumb as people say I am!

Rob Heather
sjolit
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Also, in case somebody else is following this and learning how to play with toolbars and their positioning (as I most definitely am), I would like to add that once the toolbar is detached, you can change it's width and height by pressing command while holding and dragging with the mouse on the bottom right corner of that toolbar window. For me it wasn't all that apparent, and was frustrating when the Object toolbar window would loom over the text when it was too long initially.

Sorry if I'm just repeating what was obvious from the Wiki anyway.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject:

sjolit wrote:
I would like to add that once the toolbar is detached, you can change it's width and height by pressing command while holding and dragging with the mouse on the bottom right corner of that toolbar window. [...]
Sorry if I'm just repeating what was obvious from the Wiki anyway.

No, you've discovered a bug in Neo/J. You can resize in X11 just by dragging that bottom corner, no modifier keys needed (which, despite the ability to use cmd for "menu" commands in X11, is still ctrl for the toolbar detachment). You should report the bug Smile

Smokey

Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject:

I didn't realize that after clicking around with all sorts of combinations Smile I added it to BugZilla as bug 728. Feel free to edit or add comments.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
No, you've discovered a bug in Neo/J. You can resize in X11 just by dragging that bottom corner, no modifier keys needed (which, despite the ability to use cmd for "menu" commands in X11, is still ctrl for the toolbar detachment). You should report the bug Smile

You are incorrect. In OOo 1.1.4 X11, resizing without the Ctrl key will cause the window to snap back to its original size.

Patrick
sjolit
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject:

I see Surprised
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2