· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Excel functions
Excel functions

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pd170
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Excel functions

Installed NeoJ quite some time ago, but the real test for me was how it converts large Excel files and back and am really pleased how smoothly this works.

The selection within Autofilter runs faster than MS and this is a great relief.

However noticed two minor points.

1. When opening Excel files and entering numerical entries like 10.05 it requires a comma to be able to compute rather than a full stop.
However this comma translates into a full stop in MS Excel again.

Why can't the full stop be used when saving the file again as MS Excel?
It works with full stops when saved in the SXC format.

2. When running the Autofilter in Excel and copy/past some information into the visible lines, NeoJ copies the information into all lines, even the hidden one by Autofilter.
Can this be fixed?

Again,
Tx to all of you guys to make this wonderful alternative to MS Office.
Christian
sjolit
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject:

I'm no expert here, but I'll try to help with #1. My default language in NeoJ is not English, and so it picks up this idea that in my language it needs to use a comma symbol for a decimal, and not a period. Which is not OK when I need to compile some data, print it and show to English-only speaking people I study with.

My workaround for this is to change the language of the cells. Select the whole spreadsheet (all cells or just whatever you want to change), go to the Format menu, select Cells... and there under the heading Numbers there will be a category selected, which you can change to "All" if you wish, but what you really need to do is change the language to some sort of English or whatever that uses a period for a decimal. Reverting that setting back to "Default" will give you back your commas.

Hope that helps, and sorry for extensive wording Smile
pd170
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Excel Funtions

Tx fr the hint. Will try to format cells in a different format and see how this goes.

Any idea on the copy/paste job within Autofilter to copy several selected lines and paste the same selection to other lines shown in the Autofilter also?
sjolit
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject:

I have never used Autofilter, so either you can read about its use somewhere in Help, or maybe OpenOffice forums can help with that.

I wanted to add that if changing the language helps, then you might want to open NeoJ preferences, go to Languages and make sure that your Locale is set to English. That will change it globally and NeoJ then should always expect a period for a decimal.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1